THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Small Game Hunting    The story of the super-squirrel.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The story of the super-squirrel.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
Ok, I was out squirrel hunting with my 20 gauge, the only shells I had were #4 turkey loads, figured they would do a number on squirrels. First squirrel I see was running too fast, with a turkey choke and #4's there's not too much room to miss. Next squirrel froze on a branch right in front of me, maybe 10 yards, so he was promptly decapitated. Now, enter super-squirrel. I took the dead squirrel back to my house on the way to another patch of woods. After that, I go to the other patch, and see a squirrel after about 10 minutes, probably 10 yards away, but waaaay up in a tree. I shoot, and he is "blown" off the branch. He hits the ground and is still while I walk up to him, then he jumps up, runs over my boot and runs up a tree. Hmmm, I thought I possibly could have missed and caused him to fall out of the tree somehow. So I walk to where he was laying, a puddle of blood, and bloody leaves and sticks where he ran past me. What the heck, he go shot, fell a long ways then got back up? I sat by the tree he ran up for about 20 minutes, then he falls about 10 feet in front of me outta nowhere, but I had my gun sitting against another tree. So I jump up to get it, but then he's already up and around a tree, and I lose him again because of some leaves. I look where he fell the 2nd time, blood is there too. So I sit back down, this time with my gun on my lap. After a couple minutes I hear rustling and the squirrel falls a 3rd time not more than a couple yards away, but this time my dumb dog is on top of it and it's squirmin' around trying to get free, which it does, then runs up an old tree into a hole! Mad Mad I hear him chattering around in there, but can't get to him. I even broke down a dead tree probably 15 feet tall and tried to scare him out, but nothing worked. so that's the story of super-squirrel, the toughest squirrel I know of.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
next time use buck shot............jk

it is possible only a few pellets entered the ass end and didnt hit anything vital.

thats why i use a rifle.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i like to squirrel hunt with my 7mm mag, i shot one out of a tree and i went about 20 feet up in the air and did about 10 spins before it hit the ground, well the half that i found...lol

One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 40 years ago, when I was still a kid, my dad took me to deer camp with him. It was incredibly cold, and I stayed in camp. I was up poking aroudn and heard him shoot... I was really expecting him to come back to camp with a buck over his shoulder, but when he came out of the woods he had back half of a fox squirrel. He was holding it by the tail, and what was left was swinging with every step.

I asked him what he did, and he told me he was sitting up there in the tree, freezing to death, and the squirrel showed up, playing around in the tree not 10' from him. His stomach started growling and he began to think about fried squirrel. Figured he'd decapitate the squirrel by shooting his head off with the 7.65 Arg mauser he hunted with. It was just a K3 scope, so it wasn't too hard to see where he was aiming, but he forgot to take into consideration the 1-1/2" between bore centerline and scope centerline...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gilk:
i like to squirrel hunt with my 7mm mag, i shot one out of a tree and i went about 20 feet up in the air and did about 10 spins before it hit the ground, well the half that i found...lol

And the 7 mag bullet went where?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like someone else got him for you!!! clap

Mike

Posts: 34 | Location: Galveston, Texas, USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigduke
posted Hide Post
funny story ,strong squirrel mgun

A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 103 | Location: georgia | Registered: 18 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years back my buddy in Montana had chickens and a rooster. The rooster attacked his wife and took some meat from her calf with a spur. when he got home , he went out with a 357 mag and shot it point blank in the chest as it was marching toward him in a menacing fashion. Hit it square,knocked it down, and blood pumped out the hole.It GOT BACK UP AND STARTED MARCHING AT HIM AGAIN. A second round in the chest kept it down

Posts: 744 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your story is great. I've always said that if lions, tigers and bears, or ele's or buff were as tough as squirrels, we would hunt them with howitzers.
Think about the size of a squirrel and the size and power of a 22LR, and they can still run away.
Sure glad they are small and don't eat meat. If they were big, you'd never be able to stop a charge!
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Ty,

Next time use the 338. That should do the trick.

Wink

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
That story reminds me of a time when I tried to "bark' a squirrel.

I was hunting in Southern Indiana during late summer W/my .36 cal flintlock "Tennessee" rifle.

The squirrels were still working the Shagbark Hickories pretty good so I was just slippin' along a logging road listening for cuttings falling.

I saw a Gray squirrel scurry up the side of an oak about 25yds distant. He stopped halfway up the bare trunk giving me a perfect broadside sillouette on the side of that tree.

I had never tried "barking' a squirrel so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity.

I took aim @ the edge of the trunk just under the squirrels chin & let 'er fly. Just as expected, the squirrel did a back flip from the trunk & hit the ground W/a thud.

As I approached, I noticed that the squirrel was coming to so I tried to pin it down W/the crecent buttplate of the rifle. To my shock & amazement, the squirrel twisted around & started gnawing on the butt of the rifle! Eeker

Fortunately he was chewing on the toeplate & not the wood! Since I didn't have leather gloves on, I was not about to grab that now highly agitated squirrel & when I eased up the pressure on the butt of the rifle, he wiggled free, escaped, & ran up a tree, disappearing into the canopy.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know for a fact that some red squirrels do eat meat. My best friend and I saw one feeding on a dead bird and the ground and my friend shot it with his 22. Sure nuff, that dang squirrel was eating that bird.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
We had some geese when I was a kid, and once I shot a rat in the barn and left it. A couple days later I went over there for some reason and there were the geese eating the rat! Since they don't have teeth, they were picking it up and shaking it and swallowing whatever fell off.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know whats up with these squirrels these days. I've been shooting them with 22 cb longs because they are very quiet but i'm finding that head shots are the only quick kill. I shot one 4 times with a final head shot before he finally dropped from the tree! I remember as a kid shooting them with my daisy powerline pump bb gun and not really taking head shots and they would still drop.

Posts: 61 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 12 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gomez, hunting cat squirrels with a .22 is about as challenging as it gets. The darned things hardly ever get still enough for a shot! Nice work...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got another nice trophy this weekend!

Posts: 61 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 12 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
rotflmo hahahahaha!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
That's funny! tu2

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two words: Zombie Squirrels!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a black squirrel when I was a teenager and it made it into its hole and I could see it from where I was standing. I climbed the tree and retrieved him, about 15 feet up. Looking back it wasnt very smart.

Posts: 99 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one absorb 7 shots from a 12 gauge with #5 shot pheasant loads before he died. That was about the last time I hunted squirrels with a shotgun.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bgomez:
Got another nice trophy this weekend!

LOL!! Great photo! dancing

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When a teenager in 60s, used a 7.65x53 91 Argentine mauser with a peep sight for deer hunting. Got idea of reloading some rounds with lightest bullet I could find with a greatly reduced charge to use for plinking AND maybe squirrel hunting.

One day took the Argy squirrel hunting after firing 4 or so rounds with my special loads to see how they shot.

While crossing a large pasture that had large oak trees along one of its fences, noticed a squirrel run down one tree to the next tree. I quickly moved to tree squirrel had left and peered around trunk to look for the squirrel in tree next to me.

Eventually, the squirrel showed itself and I took a shot. Drat, missed him and it ran down the tree trunk and ran to next tree away from me. I moved to tree squirrel had been in and waited for another shot. It showed itself and I fired again, missing again. Squirrel evacuated that tree and ran to next one with me following.

Well this went on for about 10 trees. Squirrel was now in last oak tree along the fence. I was down to my last rifle cartridge. By this time the squirrel had lost all fear of me hitting him and was standing upright on one of the lower limbs of the tree, clamly eating an acorn, while I stood under him. I shot my last cartridge and that @#$@%^%$#@ squirrel never flinched or even stopped nawing on the acorn. Hell, you'd think it'd at least stop eating to laugh at my shooting.

With my last rifle shot fired, I threw the rifle on the ground and began looking for rocks or something to throw at the squirrel. At that time I'd been a decent high school baseball pitcher and had rather good accuracy throwing a baseball. The squirrel was on such a low limb, I truely felt I could have hit him with a stone.....but no stones to be found.

Out of desperation, I unholstered a FN Hi-power 9mm pistol I generally carried when hunting. It was a WWII bringback pistol I'd inherited from one of my uncles. I couldn't hit a barn with that pistol, but I had 12 or so rounds in its magazine and another 20 or so in an ammo pouch. I was willing to shoot all 9mm cartridges I had, to kill that da-- squirrel.

LOL, first shot with the pistol was between its eyes and it fell off the limb. I promptly did a victory dance around it.

OK, an hour later, I'm back at the cabin on our hunting lease and my hunting buddy asks me about all the shooting I had been doing. I embarrassingly told him what had happened with the squirrel. My hunting buddy, laughed at my story, until I got to the part about dropping the squirrel with my first pistol shot. He never did believe I'd shot the squirrel with the pistol.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Some years ago I packed in a climbing tree stand to an area I had scouted for deer hunting. No sooner had I got up the tree I choose than those dam squirrels started making a ruckus at the base of the tree. I decided I would shoot one and that would put an end to all that racket. I took the shot and hit the one squirrel dead center right behind the head, arrow sticking nearly straight up with nearly half in the ground. Squirrel refused to die or lay still. It started running around and around that arrow but failed to work it's self free or the arrow loose from the ground. Finally deciding I would get no piece I worked my way down the tree, grabbed a short hunk of stout tree limb I went to the squirrel and clubed it a mighty stroke behind the head. Squirrel instantly layed still, so I took it to a tree close by that had a low V branch I would be able to find in the dark as I left and placed the squirrel there.
Back up the tree I went with my stand and had about 10 minutes of silence. That crazy squirrel was standing in that V yelling bloody murder. Finally I could not handle it any longer I decided I would club that squirrel again and this time take his head off with my buck.
Appeared that the one foot of the squirrel was stuck in that V, but he kept dodgeing that club for what seened half the afternoon. Finally I got a good blow in as my brother came walking up asking if I were having a boxing match with a bear of some thing. Said I had made enough noise to scare any deer with in 100 miles away. My answer to him was to hold up the squirrel and ask what he had to show for the afternoons hunt.
Took me a really long time to live down the great squirrel killed badge I had hung on me over that hunt.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I had a squirrel crawl down from a tree in front of me while I was deer hunting.
Having seen no deer I decided to take a head shot.
My friend looked at the squirrel and said I must have blowed it all to he*l but when I walked up to the squirrel I had hit it with a perfect head shot.
I was shooting my Marlin Lever Eveloution 45-70 that day with a cast boolit.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote