New
Find
Notify
Tools

Redemption!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know, it's not harvesting a choice felinis domesticus in full charge, but yesterday I made a perfect shot on a "garden-eating" cotton-tail, in mid-chew on, of all things, a tomato plant!?!?

I was using a .177 cal. Diana Model 24, with Crosman power-points. It was a perfect, base of the skull shot, that blew blood out of both ears and exited the right eye. The bunny made one jump, and lay dead, like a sack of potatoes.

I know that technically, it's the "p" word, but there's one less rabbit to eat the tops off my newly sprouted plants. If there's one thing I hate, nearly as much as feral cats, it's bunnies in the garden!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pests is pests, good shooting! I always thought the .177 a bit light for bunnies but that technology is about 40 years ahead of my experience. My primary pests are bugs and hogs. Shotguns rule!

Dan

Pres., TYGC

www.DocHolidaysGardening.Tips

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I thought it was a bit light, too. I expected nothing more than giving him a healthy headache, but those guys at RWS obviously make a decent pellet gun.

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I bagged over 30 one year with a .177 hp springer,without any problems,I had declared war after the fuzzy little bastards ate 100 plants that I had planted . I was so impressed that I have since purchased a .22 pcp rifle,,,less noise,,more power Kind of sounds like you dropped a empty 1 lb. coffee can on a wood floor,,and it did'nt bounce.I'd dare to compare it to a .22 short.Today's breed of hp air rifles are a whole different pot of pepper,,Have fun!!!! Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So you are now BTTS, how did it cook up! Details man, details,after all,we are both mechanics,we need details! derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good shootin'.I've shot 7 jack rabbits from the cab of the tractor while seeding the in last 10 days with my .223. 50grain V-Maxs over a dose of Benchmark.Real nice splat with lift and seperation.The cab of a Steiger makes a very effective blind.

Posts: 281 | Location: N.E. Montana | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter Rabbit went into the compost pile. Late spring rabbits aren't safe to eat around here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When the tree rats ate my girlfriend's tulips you should have seen the vengence she visited on them with a Daisy .177. She nailed 12 one afternoon. She had been giving me a ration of shit about killing the pests-"They're so cute"- until the varmints got her stuff.
All of these were head shots too. Her aim made a lasting impression on me.
She's the same woman I took plinking early in our relationship and thinking to josh her a little I gave her a Smith 41 mag with full house loads. She put 5 in the 10 ring at 15 yds, turned to me and said:" Now that's more like it". I've never tried to provoke her.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Women and guns can be a deadly combination. Imagine the havoc if cats could handle a Glock!

Dan

Pres., TYGC

www.Scary.Concepts

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Dan,I've learned in my travels that women are the deadliest thing on earth,,,whether they mean to be or not,,Armed or not ..Derf,,,,so you want some details,,Ok,,Very late spring rabbits,extending into early summer,,I had a mexican bugging me for rabbit meat,,I obliged him,,A few weeks later you could'nt see his desk top due to the copious amount of empty pepto-bismol bottles littering it.After the camp inspection/discovery,,,I sent him to the doctors,,,,,,Severe case of worms He still works for me,,won't touch a rabbit with a ten foot pole Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually I was asking 120 for details but the picture you painted so eloquently with your words was most amusing. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Derf-

I'll let you know what I grow with the compost the bunny makes for me. Sound fair?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably fur balls! derf

one of us
posted Hide Post
What he do with fur barrs Mr. derf? Why you grow? Easy way to get fur barr is kick cat in south end when cough. Stirr don't know what do with them. Not even good for stuffing pirrow! Li arways wonder where arr fur barrs go, you ever think that? Do math one day, why not earth be 8' deep in fur barrs? Good thing pussy taste good, maybe 12' deep!

Posts: 374 | Location: Golden Chopstix Restaurant | Registered: 09 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Derf,,The best one was the turkey in the tree.Xavier pulled me aside one morning asking me to shoot the turkey in the tree he saw that morning on the walk to the shop.I told him it seemed kind of odd to see a turkey in a tree,and asked,are you shure it's not a buzzard? No,no,no senior,,it a turrkey!!!! he said.I said what ever,,pulled my .22 from behind my seat and said,lets go see your turkey,,At which the guy was jumping out of his skin in excitement/antisipation.We walked the 200 yds. down the driveway,,,Then I saw it,,A full grown buzzard,,With this guy allmost pissing himself over the thought of having a "turkey"dinner,,Pointing at the bird,,Saying shooot it!,Shooot it!It was hard to tell him it was a buzzard,,and I was'nt going to bag it for him,,The look in his face was priceless though Clay

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That reminds me of the time I was hunting at dusk on evening. I spotted what apeared to be a grouse with it's tail fanned out silouetted against what was left of the daylight. A pretty sight but not one I intended to only admire. Even in the scope the sillouette was hard to make out so I placed the crosshairs on the middle of the fan and squeezed one off. You would would not be lieve the consternation when a Racoon unfurled itself and flopped over and got hung up in the branches by one back leg. I had to go up after it. I got up beside of it and grabbed it by the base of the tail and heaved it up out of the fork it was hung up in and as I did so, it had one of those dead thing muscle spasm's. Now knowing how nastya coon can be at the best of times and not wanting to get bit, I just natually let go of him and jumped back to avoid any repercussions of having shot the big bugger. Have you all remembered that I was maybe 15 feet up in a tree? I didn't! I think I hit the ground at about the same time as the dead coon and that was the first time I screwed up my back. I got even with tha racoon by roasting him up the next day and feeding him to several friends then made a stew out of what was left. derf

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
They don't really care to be pushed out of a tree either .Sorry to hear about the fall,,,,,Clay