Find
Notify
Tools

Remember My Trophy Tom?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Some time back I posted a hunting story and told you I got the biggest feral of my life. Well, while bush whacking my woods yesterday I decided to have a look-see at nature's progress on fertilization. I chopped my way through thick jungle and poison ivy in 90* plus heat and humidity.

I was not kidding when I told you all this was a big one, normal feral on right, trophy on left!

Sorry some are blurry...

Notice his low sloping forehead and wide eye sockets. He was massive, kind of a Neandercrat.

Danno, you got 'em this big in Flor-I-da?

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Wow, Eeker that looks like a Bobcat or a Lynx.

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You must be feeding the ferals vitamins with th rodents.

Was that trophy taken with archery?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No Dan, this was with my 10/22 which was probably not enough gun. In hind sight, I should have had at least my 30-06 with 180 grain pills. I was lucky this time.

Bet this is the SCI #1.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann, anything we have down here that size is either a Maine Coon or a bobcat. Put a little bleach on them bones baby, it'll make a nice conversation piece for the next social! roflmao Maybe a nice coffee table ornament..

Have a friend that does that with hog and gator skulls, 'course all of his friends are like minded. No PETA conventions under that roof, rest assured. Wink

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.BooneAnd.Cratkett

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Ann, you may wish to step up to the .22 mag for sure.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Damn Ann, you are a woman after my heart! Bleached skulls on the coffee table, tractor, landowner, huntress...do you fish!?!?

PS, that skull sure would look good with a .223 hole between the eye sockets!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann, when my wife and I lived in Germany, we adopted a runty little kitten we found in the woods. It was colored, and featured just like a housecat. Little did we know, that the Germans have something called Wildkatzen, which look precisely like housecats, but are around double the size, and tend to "go wild" once they get into puberty.

When ours "went wild" we sent it to the local Infantry Battalion, where they used it as mascot.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Probably drove it wild using it for target practice.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CDH,

Of course I fish. I just spent a week in Manitoba catching monster walleyes and giant northerns. There were hundreds of them! Nearly all of my spoons were bit in half, those northerns have some BIG teeth.

Damn tasty too! Razzer Yum

PS- to you, a bullet hole in the skull ruins a fine trophy!

120, was it a mascot or a target?

~Ann

one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Great skull! Looks really good. Smiler

Do you intend to bleach it or keep it as it is?

Regards,
Martin

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nearly all of my spoons were bit in half, those northerns have some BIG teeth.

When you want to see really nasty teeth, come on down to the warm salt water and try for a nice 200 lb bull, 12' tiger, or 8' hammerhead or mako shark. Oh, we have barracuda too. I've seen some serious steel cable bitten through and some deeply shredded 12/0 hooks! Sharks can be caught from the beach, occasionally right next to swimmers. You would be amazed at how quickly the water clears when you pull in even a little 4' blacktip. Even some of our baitfish have teeth that can draw blood!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CDH,

Is that an invitation? Do you have a suitable boat and tackle for such toothy fishes? What are the possibilities of hooking at least one each of all those sharks you've mentioned? Do you catch and release them?

I've seen 'cudas when snorkeling in the past, they did not let me get close.

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
The things I know that are born with Gillette Super Blues for teeth:

Bluefish, 'Cuda, Shark, Mackerel(threee varieties), Wahoo, all Snapper(actually have fangs more than teeth), gar, bowfin(mudfish to you crackers Wink) Houndfish, pirahna. They all live in Florida, what's in your lake? Confused There are probably more, many can remove pounds of flesh quicker than an eye blink if mishandled. It's not personal though. Wink There's probably more... also, there are a surprising number of people that have been killed by Blue Marlin, speared or drowned. Or both.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.VisitFlorida.FeedFish

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
My boat is a center console bay boat of 20.5 feet, so it is only suitable for offshore on very selected days. I have a good buddy who moonlights as a guide for 6-7 years now that just moved up to a 34 footer with twin Cummins 300 Hp turbo diesels...and I tag along (usually end up deckhanding for him on short notice as a favor, as it works out) a few times a year.

The tackle rack, for offshore, has Shimano TLD-50W, Penn 6/0W, TLD-25, TLD-15, Penn 9500SS, 7500SS, and some smaller kingfish sized reels of 30 lb line and below...hardly worth mentioning.

My lake has all that Dan mentions (same lake, different shore), though Mackeral only usually run 2-King and Spanish. Tuna (Black and Yellowfin varieties), Bonita, redfish, speckeled trout and flounder also have surprisingly sharp teeth, and are cought on the beach or around rigs close in offshore. Tuna are mostly a winter catch, but we got about 40 on the boat one July 15th not so long ago.

Invitation, well, I'm always looking for an excuse to go fishing. An out of town friend is always one that works...unfortunatally I have this little bit of baggage these days, like a pregnant wife and a 50+ hour a week job. Once a month is doing well these days, but like I said, I'm always looking for an excuse! How're your sea legs? You get seasick?