New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gainful Employment
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm semi retired,that is I view myself as a "Sporting Man".I have recently been offered the job of head of the Maint.Dept. at the "home".I make take the job as it would open up new field lion harvest opportunities and it has a nice shop .I checked the dumpsters behind the place and there is ample fresh sign.The kitchen staff hates the cats as they drag stuff out of the dumpster and make a mess.I assured them that I would do my best to change rectify this problem.I may have to revive my sprayer/flame thrower project.Ma thinks I should just retire.She doesn't think Geriatric Care is ready for me yet.I'm a little worried that any loud noises(that should read explosions) might cause someone to vaporlock.My neighbor,who is a current resident wants me to take the job as he wants to make Pruno in the Maint.shop.I have the weekend to meditate on this.Better go touch up my knife.wolfer,who is sometimes called Obewan.

Posts: 281 | Location: N.E. Montana | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wolfer, I wouldn't want to offend an obvious expert such as yourself,but it occurs to me that the residents in the "home" may have a fear of fire and some may also be cat lovers. It seems to me that a quiet trap might be more appropriate, I'm thinking about a box trap.If you attached a can of automotive starting ether to the side with the discharge line into the box and the spray button facing down so it discharges when the trap closes you should have a silent and effective "eliminator".Such a device will be a
"hands free" operation, leaving you more time to supervise the pruno making and testing. If you wanted to be more involved for the "thrill of the hunt" , a string to the trigger would allow personal involvment.

Posts: 48 | Location: Northern NY | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oldbob you got it all wrong.I was thinking of using the sprayer/flamethrower to melt the ice on the sidewalk I think a Ruger 10/22 with a can on the end will solve the field lion problems.

Posts: 281 | Location: N.E. Montana | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I usually suggest to my "Sporting" friends that the key to this situation is ding the unexpected. OldBob's approach is valid in all regards, but perhaps because I know you better, and know you're a hands-on kind of guy...

Look in your closet for that old long barrel .22 that use to belong to your dad or gramps, the one that functions with s/l/lr(sez so on the barrel), go buy some .22 CB shorts or longs. Sight in at 25 feet and go for the head shot. Won't hardly even burp when you stroke the trigger. OR, get some of those RSW CB caps, they are as effective with that shot and your firing pin will be the loudest sound. I'm sure you already knew all of this, just a reminder. No vapor locks, gaurrrrrrrrrrrunteeeed!

I'd lease Bert to you but I think UPS would vaporlock on that one. Sure would be unexpected though, out there in Montany.

Dan

Pres., TYGC

www.GATORGRABBER.cat

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wolfer , I stand corrected. Should have known better, and yep, the plastic soda bottle and duct tape quiets things down nicely , specially if you go w/ the CB caps. I still like the "Long Sleep" trap though.

Posts: 48 | Location: Northern NY | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Digital Dan,

You are correct. An old .22 with a 24" tube & CB's is the ultimate in stealth. If anyone heard it at the "home" they'd think it was one of the residents reacting to Pruno.

I feel Old Bobs trap may be improved with the addition of a tealight under the bait to increase the scent ;-)

one of us
posted Hide Post
The RWS BB caps are loud... louder than a CB, and not as penetrative. But, I have broke both shoulders of a jack, and have got an exit with BB caps. I was thinking of trying some shots with my Beeman R-1. Alot of times, air guns are not considered firearms in city limits, if that is a issue for you.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wolfer, I think you are looking at this all wrong. Have you ever looked at the prices of a retirement home? The local dons enter the homes millionaires, and leave as a welfare recipient.

Suggest you contact the heirs of said occupants and find the ones that are in favor of immediate "vapor lock", and work out some sort of financial arrangement. I promise to attest to your superior character at your trial.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This employment opportunity isn't looking good.I took the administrator to the Rusty Bucket last night.It was not good.I brought a pint of Li Down for a few shooters."Percy" as he will be called was an embarrassment,Doris the barmaid ended up punching him.He hasn't seen the "Elephant" and squeezes nickels til the Buffalo sh$ts.2 sheep herders helped pour him in the Studebaker about 23:00.The floor show hadn't even started.The best part of the night was seeing a fresh set of cat tracks on the county road at the end of the driveway.I almost forgot about "Percy" as I was getting a handle on our new arrival.I'm going to call on Monday and respectfully decline the offer.I'll put in for fulltime retirement.I'm going to work on 2 new projects.1. A spring powered snare.2.A Calling decoy with the caller speaker inside the decoy.Jackrabbit screams and mouse squeaks should get field lions and ranch cougars out from under a porch into the open.I need to blood the new Hvy.barrel .223.Berger 45gr MEF's are on the menu.Got to go run the blade over the stone.

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
You have chosen wisely Obewan Wolfer-San.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I heard an editorial the other day more or less saying that it would be money better spent getting monthly rates at the holiday inn,,,,And you don't have to sell your house,rent it out to cover the holiday inn expenses,If you want to go to a different one you can,they have room service,,,Hmmmmmmm

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote