THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Small Game Hunting    How do I muffle my 10/22 for stealth cat blasting?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do I muffle my 10/22 for stealth cat blasting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DigitalDan:
I hav no experience with the conibears, and wonder if they are produced in the "Magnum Slicer" model? Confused Big enough to make parts, nice sharp blade, precision ground so as to have a scissor action. Does such a thing exist, and if not, WHY?
QUOTE]

I'm thinkin' steak fries cutter blades attached to the trap jaws. That'd get kitty oven ready for ya. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7Rumloader:
Hi guys! I need help making a cheap silencer for my 10/22. My neighbors are getting more and more cats by the minute and I am sick of them walking on my vehicles and tearing into the trash cans!
Any suggestions to help me get rid of these frieking cats without waking people up at 2 A.M would be appreciated!

120MM had some good ideas, will have to try them.

Aguila Super Colibri (no gunpowder) will not cycle a semi, but are QUIET. They just go "pop." Sound like an air rifle. You can manually cycle the action, the rubberband is a great idea. Will have to try it.

You have to be careful with Super Colibri's in rifles with long barrels (experimentation is necessary) because they don't exit some barrels.

Aguila also make the .22-SSS, Sniper SubSonic. It will cycle some semi's, but is louder. About the same as a CB in a pistol. SSS's have a 60g bullet, and they are the same overall length as a 22LR. Pretty good accuracy, better than I expected.

Would have to worry about over-penetration some as Aguila tests show approx. 24" of penetration in ballistic gelatin at 200 meters!

I have not tried this yet, maybe next week...

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
You tell them kickback! Nobody who ever had a conibear on their hand or worked with them would ever think of putting blades on them. Its worse than putting a short fuse on a grenade/

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well NS, I only have 9 fingers, you think I was born that way? roflmao

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.Brutal.Divorce

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An 8 inch piece of PVC pipe with a slot cut for the front sight, or remove it, lots of 1/8 inch holes drilled in it and wrapped with fine steel wool has worked great for me for many years sofa

Dogs have masters.....cats have "staff"..... but i aint no servant!

Posts: 203 | Location: Vancouver Island BC | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And Hound lives in the land of the "Great NoNo"! Roll Eyes derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
shame roflmao

Posts: 203 | Location: Vancouver Island BC | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Explain please, this magic Hound speaks of, for I know not what you guys are giggling about. Confused

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.ToilToil.BoilAndBubble

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps our friends are speaking of the great lengths canuckians must go to in order to achieve the sound of silence, even without permission, for permission is not be had.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NS, thanks for the illumination round! thumb I was trying to imagine why you needed steel wool to shoot a crat out of a PVC pipe. Had me really bamfoozled. Frowner Especially with all the holes drilled in the crat, er, the pipe. That was makin' me wonder if it was like a recoiless crat rifle. Any of you fellas ever seen a 106 Recoiless go off? eek2 Damn, I've always wanted one with a bunch of blank rounds. They'd be purrfect for crats. Cool

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.CratsSplat.Too

one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
Now there's an idea. What would be the legal angle on a home-made recoiless rifle, anyway? I know from my Civil War reenacting days that there is nothing to keep one from building a muzzle-loading cannon. And i recall from reading about a fellow who owns an old Krupp mountain howitzer that breach loaders require a $200 destructive device tag and red tape, but a recoiless rifle has, theoretically, an open breach. It is not a common thing and i don't know how it would read in the regs....

Ahhh, mortars!

All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
--Niels Bohr

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now you guys have me thinking and thats scary! nut
The 4th of July is coming up and I wonder if I built a bigger tube for my mortar shells that was big enough to stuff a crat in (knocked out of course) would the shells then still be able to launch the crat into the air and blow up as prescribed with all the pretty colors (and cat parts)?????
Hmmm?? bewildered

Guns and ammo what more do we need?

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ned has it pretty much right Dan. Up here it is damned near a death penelty offence to be caught with a suppressor.
HOWEVER, our laws define anything with a MV of 499fps or less as a non-firearm. SO, down there you might have a destructive devise but up here an M79 isn't even a firearm. Big Grin Problem is trying to find one! Frowner derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
derf, where is that machinist with the warped imagination when you need him?

I mentioned this once before, but since we are on the subject of mortars try this out. Bury 2' of 8" PVC(stolen from a roadside construction site, scraps ususally wont be missed), upright with the muzzle about 2" above ground. Arrange for fusing prior. Dump 1 pound of your favorite black in the bottom. I like to dispose of BP substitutes in this fashion as I have no other use for them. Now here you have to make a choice. If your crat is alive, put him in first, followed by a 5 pound bag of Pillsbury Self Rising flour, sorta like an over-shot wad. If the crat is deceased, you might want to use the flour as an over-powder wad. Or not. Anyway, now you have a "Grand Spectacle" to finish off the neighborhood block party BBQ, just be sure the owner isn't invited. Wink

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.TheyWontLand.OnTheirFeet

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it more amusing if the "ex-crat"'s owner was in attendence! thumb Also that mortar setup sounds like it should have foo-gas in it! Wink MMMM, Crispy Critters! derf

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dan,
Sorry i never got back to this thread. My ISP has had me offline so many times in the past few weeks and me busy with neccessary but unpalatable things! bawling
As derf said, the death penalty is reserved by lieberals in this country for hunters and gun lovers horse and for sure for those who would go to the trouble of not waking the neighbors whilst liberating them of their "cratosites" um "paracrats"?
Well anyway.......
Said pipe is inserting over barrel of "Cratomatic" 10-22 Ruger in my case as the "Cratberg" er Mossberg has a full stock
Roll Eyes
hound

one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DigitalDan:
derf, where is that machinist with the warped imagination when you need him?

It's good to feel loved! Big Grin

That is, believe it or not the one thing I've been really looking for at gunshows - M79 Reciever prints. Virtually everything else is available - hell, GPC has brand new barrels.

I have too many damn projects and not enough time or money for any of them. Just yesterday I thought of a rifled 75mm muzzle loader using Minie's for projectiles... eek2

Toolmaker

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok guys now I need some more tips!
The frieking crats have began figuring out that if I'm around it's lights out for them so they are starting to avoid my yard except for the dead of night when I'm asleep or at work.
I know a nice cool bowl of refreshing green koolaid is the easiest way to assist in craticide but I need to be inconspicuous about doing it since the questions have already started about missing crats I don't want someone walking around and finding a dish full of the stuff in my yard.

Guns and ammo what more do we need?

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CRATapults. Ballistas. Other medieval war engines as you deem appropriate. If you can fling a piano across the pasture.....

Your neighbors will think you're really cool, in not a bit eccentric. thumbNever will it occur to them that you are actually teaching crats to fly. Unless you put one down a chimney. Smiler

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.Retro.Tech

one of us
posted Hide Post
Use a spud gun. An easy search via gargle.wam. My hunting buddy Bubba shot a 4" hole in his garage door during R&D. He used his to shoot geese on his pond and in the pasture at 175+ yards after design completion. There is no reason why a cat relocation sub orbital splattering device cannot be developed. GO FOR IT!