THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Small Game Hunting    How do I muffle my 10/22 for stealth cat blasting?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do I muffle my 10/22 for stealth cat blasting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys! I need help making a cheap silencer for my 10/22. My neighbors are getting more and more cats by the minute and I am sick of them walking on my vehicles and tearing into the trash cans!
Any suggestions to help me get rid of these frieking cats without waking people up at 2 A.M would be appreciated!

Guns and ammo what more do we need?

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For starts check out this thread make the first shot count also a havaheart live trap with a can of sardines for bait and a blanket to cover the trap will work wonders.

HAVE FAITH IN GOD.

Posts: 206 | Location: Alberta ,Can | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure where you're from. In some countries of the world it's legal to actually use a silencer on your weapon while you hunt (and good sense to protect your hearing if it's legal in your area).

But in the US, anything you attach to your rifle to "muffle" it, is illegal without proper class 3 forms and the signature of your local sheriff or constable.

If you want to make a silencer, I believe you first have to submit the design to the BATFE for approval, then get the above signatures and paperwork for your class 3 stamp, and then you can make it.

CB Caps - or even a blanket as suggested are a lot less hassle and work about the same. This is not something you want to do "under-the-table". Uncle Sam considers this sort of thing serious business here in the US and can make your life very nasty, very fast.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The quickest and least expensive way is to buy a box of cb longs. They well shoot through a cat at 100 feet and are not much lounder then a pellet rifle.

They well not work the action on a 10-22 but they are very accurate and do not travel far. They make for great urban shooitng round.

Posts: 19356 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The longer the barrel the quieter the CBs get. .22 Short CB caps are the round of choice for covert ops.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions! I figured it was illegal to make a silencer so thanks for the heads up. I need to thin the population of these pesky critters so I will be looking into the CB's!
I will let yall know how it turns out!
I have a single shot 22 as well and it sounds like it would be a better choice for the low power rounds.

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a single shot 22 as well and it sounds like it would be a better choice for the low power rounds.

Probably would, how long is the barrel? Sport aside the most effective way to deal with the issue has already been submitted. Live traps are very effective, and convert to dead traps with a trigger pull. Disposal is up to you. Or, if you want to reinject sport, rinse 'em down with skunk oil and let 'em run home. roflmao Good thing about that approach is that its legal as far as I know, and it punishes the real perps, the owners. People that let their pets run astray DESERVE to be spanked, frequently.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.SkunkInThe.House!

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I think the live trap is your best weapon. I have cleaned the cats out around here. It is legal to shoot where I live but I don't want to draw any attention to what is going on. I have wild turkey poults all around, last year they were scarce, The cats were the problem

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dude, I suggest you open your mind a little. First, CB Longs feed better than Shorts, in semi-auto. Second, Use a rubber band to secure the cocking lever, so the action doesn't cycle at all. This will keep the sound down even better and prevent jams.

Where you need to get creative is in your definition of "silencer" If you built a box, drilled a hold through it, stuck the barrel in one end and shot through the other, without attaching it to the gun, it isn't, technically, a silencer. The D.C. area sniper did this, using the trunk of the car.

I use my garage as a silencer, with a couple sheets of plywood stood on end to approximate an end to my box.

So, free your mind, think about legal ways to silence your "activities" and keep killing cats.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CB long fans.....what shot placement?

And when using a scope how do you all cope with the varying distances. Rem. subsonics behind the ear can drop their face in the the bait dish but sometimes if it's not perfect it's the break dance flip flop.
She's sighted in perfect from my snipers perch to the bait dish but if a opportunity appears at another distance I have to pass cause I'd be afraid it won't drop. Wounded and running off is trouble.

one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
Live trap and drown 'em in a 55 gallon drum of water.

Toolmaker

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you want a weapon of mass destruction a bowel of anti freeze mixed with fish oil works.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CB longs are fine, but are louder and unnecesary, IMHO. In a Rem Mod 12 pump you can put a gazillion short cbs in the mag and they feed fine. It's my barn gun and has worked on sparrows, starlings mice, possum, skunk, and at least a dozen krats. It sounds like dropping a hard bound book from waist high on the kitchen floor. Birds in the body, furry critters in the head or neck. I have an owl decoy on the rafters of the barn and it is supposed scare off the birds.....doesn't work, but the CBs do and they won't go thru the steel roof either. The are also good for mice, squirel or snake in the attic, given the correct shot, and can also be applied as part of the team with a live trap. They are getting harder to find and run about $30 a brick when you can get them. Midsouth Shooter's Supply lists CCI and I've gotten Win from Midway a few times.

My other favorite is Aguila 60gr subsonics in a 24" Rem 513T. It has a Lyman receiver sight and is nuts on out to 30 yeards or so. If you open the window and step back into the room the outside noise is softer than lightly clapping your hands. You do get some smoke in the room, but not too bad. Same effect as 120MM mentioned above. Be careful because they do penetrate a lot better than regular long rifles.

Happy and safe kratocide!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would use the "winchester very low velocity reduced charge accurate 29gr lead bullet" ammo in oz there nick name is .22 long Z. They will kill a cat if you hit it in the head for sure and they don't go far and I reckon there quiter than a air gun. I have tested them on chip board and they make it through a 10mm piece at 15-20 paces.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys have some great ideas for sure! I will be keeping myself occupied for a while trying all of them.
I really liked the idea of tuna, ex-lax, and the mailbox iread in another thread. I'm still laughing my arse off!! roflmao
I will be using each one of these great tips each of you have given me!
I will be having so much fun I may leave a few around for future fun and games!! mgun beer
Thanks a million guys!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in how .22 CB longs make a louder noise than .22 CB shorts, as they have the exact same amount of powder in them. I will guaran-freaking tee you my Marlin lever action (32 inch barrel, I believe) makes much less noise than a book being dropped. In fact, the loudest noise is the firing pin.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gosh 120mm, it sure sounds that way to me. It may have to do with the guns involved or could be my ears. You're lucky to have a gun that will shoot CBs that quietly.

I have a friend who shoots a suppressed (licensed) 10/22 and it is seems a lot louder than my Low Wall Winder Musket with CB shorts....at least to my ears. Both make more noise than the hammer falling....especially if you are down range. The long barrel on the Low Wall makes it pretty quiet. Of course the 10/22 is shooting subsonic 40gr and it has a lot more power than the CBs. I know the sound from both is lost in 15 yards or so in the woods with underbrush to absorb the sound.

I'm going to look for some CB longs tomorrow and try the test again.....maybe I'm wrong. Do you suppose the jump of a CB short in a long rifle chamber could allow some gas to escape ahead of the bullet and make it a little quieter? It seems the same amount of powder in a larger case would cause the long to generate less pressure than the same amount of gas in a smaller case. Such as equal amounts of powder in a .223 and a .22-250 will certainly create less pressure in the larger case....and lower velocity and maybe less noise too. I checked a ballistics table (1995 Gun Digest) and they reflect that both the 29 gr bullets in the CB short and CB long clock 725 fps out of a 22" barrel. Using the above logic, maybe there is more powder in the long to get the same pressure and therefore the same velocity. Perhaps someone smarter than me on this subject can comment.

The year of the .30-06!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got done shooting a bunch of cb longs out of a very light weight 10 22. ram line 16 inch fiber barrel, plastic folding stock a 2x leupold 4lbs 6 oz. I sited it in dead on at 50 feet not as accutrate as my 511 rem with cb's but I sure it will take care of the squirrels and chipmonks in camp. about 3/4 of a in at 50 feet the 511 puts them in one hole.

Very quite, when shooting I get not action move ment. one has to eject fast and close the bolt slowly or they jam up trying to feed them fast results in stove pipes.

Iam taking this instead of the 511 because it is a lot lighter and smaller package when folded.

Posts: 19356 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lowrider, I wouldn't get lost in the fine details of internal ballistics with this one, but for the sake of discussion I think that when the bullet of a CB short is down the chamber far enough to equal the length of a Long, your expansion ratio is about the same. The primary advantage of the long over the short is found in the fact that they can be used easier in LR Only guns, most of which are autoloaders. The only downside I know of regarding shorts is that they will foul the chamber with residue that is normally excluded by a LR case, and if it is not cleaned it will lead to corrosion in the chamber wall sooner or later. As a general rule I choose shorts or longs based on the chamber length of the gun, not because of percieved differences in performance, of which there are none.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.VictoryIsFoundIn.Preperation

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PD Shooter,

That's a slick little rig you have there!!

I put one together with the Hogue overmold and a 4x scope and I tried a half a dozen different standard velocity rounds and none of them would shoot as good as yours. I was getting about 1.5" groups at 25 yds. I put a 0.015" shim between the action and the stock to sorta freefloat the barrel and using a a PC trigger and hammer and a light recoil spring with Winchester T22 it is down to about an 1" or a little less. I think those barrels are just not capable of too much better accuracy. Yours seems fine for your purpose. My 10/22 with a 0.92" steel barrel shoots ragged one holers at 25 yds, but it has a 6-18x and weighs over 9 lbs, so it's not a camp rifle!!

Good luck with the carbon barrel!!!

The year of the .30-06!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

Good points!!

My old iron sight Rem Model 12 pump is a sweetheart and will shoot the CBs or shorts to about the same POI at average barn distances. You're right about the residue ring. I just had to clean them out of my S&W Kit Gun the other day. If I can score some CB longs and they shoot ok, maybe I'll convert to a "long guy"...never too old to learn a new trick!! Sometimes I use HV short HPs too for the heavy stuff and they are as loud as the LR stuff.

Humidity was up yesterday here and felt like FL! Hope things are well in Yankeetown and you have Lil Bob on a good diet too!!

The year of the .30-06!!

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
shot placement paramount, ear canal, 22 CB longs, may not cycle in 10-22.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
silencers are of course illegal so taping a 2 liter plastic pop bottle over the muzzle would of course be illegal

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
silencers are of course illegal so taping a 2 liter plastic pop bottle over the muzzle would of course be illegal

Of course it would! Wink Glad you pointed that out!
Thanks!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Suppressors are like being divorced and trying to marry a CATholic in the church. You must first go to the higher power (in this case BATF&E) fill out all the paperwork, wait 4-6 months to complete the ritual and pay the tax (in this case, I believe $200), if you are approved (by the higher power), then and only then does it become legal for you to possess a suppressor.

The main difference is that if you choose to get another suppressor, you can go thru the process as many times as you want or can afford. With CATholics, you are required to divest yourself of the previous wife/husband prior to moving on to the next. As long as you are within your budget, I've never seen a posted bag limit.

The year of the .30-06!!

one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Live trap a crat.
Stick rifle into either end of crat.
Point rifle/crat combo at another crat.
Squeeze trigger.

wave

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Outstanding suggestion PT. And you have answered the original question. Poking the muzzle on or into the cat does reduce the noise.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, that'll work every time! clap Kinda like a "fwhop" sound. Even works with a .410, but a long barrel helps keeps goo on the denim.

I watched The Alamo the other night, and as a result I realize there is another way to keep the 10/22 quiet. Don't bother loading it, in fact it would be dangerous if you do use this technique. Grab the barrel with both hands and pretend the crat is a baby harp seal. A good firm whack or two will keep you warm on those cold artic nights. Big Grin

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.PETA.PosterBoy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by poletax:
Live trap a crat.
Stick rifle into either end of crat.
Point rifle/crat combo at another crat.
Squeeze trigger.

wave
Good suggestion poletax but would said cat classify as a silencer?? Big Grin Would I then need to file for proper permits?
Maybe I could receive a temporary permit being that said crat silencer would be gone before paper work could be processed. Hmmmm?? bewildered

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DigitalDan:
Yep, that'll work every time! clap Kinda like a "fwhop" sound. Even works with a .410, but a long barrel helps keeps goo on the denim.

I watched The Alamo the other night, and as a result I realize there is another way to keep the 10/22 quiet. Don't bother loading it, in fact it would be dangerous if you do use this technique. Grab the barrel with both hands and pretend the crat is a baby harp seal. A good firm whack or two will keep you warm on those cold artic nights. Big Grin

DD that sounds like a lot of fun but may cause damage to my stock by way of incriminating marks but would be a good conversation piece! I think I will run down to wally world and pick up a cheap aluminum bat ( always liked that tiing sound ) and give it a whirl tomorrow night! Eeker Batter Up!! jump

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.PETA.PosterBoy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N. S. Sherlock:
Outstanding suggestion PT. And you have answered the original question. Poking the muzzle on or into the cat does reduce the noise.

Yes that does work...and you are guranteed of a clean kill, just a muffled whok......tame the cat with a saucer of milk over a few days/weeks and then feed it a .22 power point in the back of the head with muzzle touching back of cats head.............here is one I prepared earlier jump

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Watched my vet dispose of one of the many cats trapped for removal--he takes a big towel, stuffs it into the trap and forces the cat to the end and holds it there while the needle is applied. Quick, clean, and done. The animal control folks use a similar technique on skunks only they keep them wet down with a hose while they hit them with the injector. The water knocks down the spray, doesn't keep them from spraying.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
how about if you stick the barrel inside the crat??
(from the rear of course) roflmao

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
The sound is quieter if it comes from a .22. Anything larger, say 338 Win mag, tends to be louder.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You live in a big silencer and so do the folks you're worried about waking up. Just use a .22 subsonic, open the window a couple inches and have at 'em. Keep the muzzle a couple feet inside the house.

Only person you'll wake up will be your wife. Just don't try it with a 22-250. I'm not sure what my wife said to me when I did that, it kinda messed my hearing up, but I could tell by her face she wasn't real happy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ouch! roflmao

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.MovingLips.RingingEars

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wave[/QUOTE] Good suggestion poletax but would said cat classify as a silencer?? Big Grin Would I then need to file for proper permits?
Maybe I could receive a temporary permit being that said crat silencer would be gone before paper work could be processed. Hmmmm?? bewildered[/QUOTE]

Nope, it isn't attached! Have at er!! Big Grin derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My preference for stealth applications will always be baited 220 conibears.I have square cubbies made up with slots for the springs.El Cheapo Walmart cat food in the back of the cubby.I have had 2 cats,side by side,in one 220. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hav no experience with the conibears, and wonder if they are produced in the "Magnum Slicer" model? Confused Big enough to make parts, nice sharp blade, precision ground so as to have a scissor action. Does such a thing exist, and if not, WHY?

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.Rapier.Wit

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Because originally they were meant to catch the pray by a leg and either hold it or drown it(Beaver and Muskrat). One could be modified though to remove a leg,well unless the pray stuck its head in to the trap! eek2 derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote