Find
Notify
Tools

Going Squirrel Hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted
Going squirrel hunting this Monday Dec. 1st. This is the first day that I can find a place where the season is open and is close enough for a reasonable drive. I am going to a secret spot I have at the Green Swamp WMA in central Florida that is usually loaded with grey squirrels. Just want to get enough for the makings of a Brunswick Stew. I have also acquired a little 20 gauge Mossberg bolt action in full choke very similar to the one I had as a kid, just for hunting squirrels. Will post my results after Monday.
joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
Well, I did go Monday, but to my surprise and disappointment, the squirrel woods I have hunted for years were all flooded. I did hunt the edges near the road but saw nothing. I heard a few chattering back in the woods, but could not get to them. Looks like my squirrel hunting for this year is over before it even started.
joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm about an hour south of Green Swamp and you are right..there are a bunch of squirrels there! Recent rains have messed up a bunch of access for me to the usual haunts and that is a shame about green swamp.

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die

"Men don't change. The only thing that should surprise a man in his life is the history he doesn't know." Harry Truman

Posts: 451 | Location: West Coast of Florida | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot my first squirrel out of a wooden john boat in a Georgia swamp.

Posts: 2435 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
Do you have small boat or canoe?
If legal, use it get back into the flooded areas.
Leo

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
After two years that is good advice.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad you found a time/place to go and sorry it didn't work out as planned. I thoroughly enjoy squirrel hunting, and I am so blessed to live in a county with no closed season, no bag limit, and lots of pecan groves whose owners love my "predator" control efforts!

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"