New
Find
Notify
Tools

30 Carbine on Rabbits?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I love it when some expert give an opine that contradict the whole thread and starts out with I never used it but!! Comes under the heading of an idiot..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
None of this surprises me at all, bullets kill sometimes good and sometimes not so good, Ive noticed one thing however if the first shot is perfect, it usually kills, may run a long ways, but if it is misplaced and the animal fills up with adrenaline it can be much harder to kill with follow up shots, Ive seen this particularly on DG such as Lion, Hippo, Buffalo, but also on some PG and the smallest of Coues deer..Coues and whitetail seem tougher to kill than Mule Deer has been my experience as a rule, but with exceptions..For one thing the whitetail are more high strung than a lazy old mule deer as a rule..A generalization only..

All that said the carbine is a miserable killer, the worst caliber I ever used on big game, I would much prefer a 22 L.R. HP..

So, all that said, why did you use it on big game?

Posts: 698 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L. Rivard:
Per dpcd's low opinion of the 30 carbine, it was one I shared, not based on first hand experience but on paper ballistics and the opinion of Phil Sharp in one of his books. I expressed that opinion at a mititary rifle benchrest match quite a few years ago. A fellow competitor, Hartly Bush, saddly now deceased, took great exception to my opinion. Hartly had been a forward artillery observer during the retaking of the Phillipines, and had carried the Carbine. He said the little gun "made Japs go dead just fine". I will defer to actual experience.

The carbine was issued instead of a 1911, I would rather have the 1911.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rcraig,
I was just a kid in grade school or high school, and contrary to some posts the kids, ranchers,and hunters in general to the man condemed the 32-20,25-20, and m1 cabine, the 25-35, 30-30, 30-40 and the 30-06 were the gun of the day for deer and up..I liked the rem mod. 25 and the win. 92 for the gun itself but they were miserable for big game IMO. I quickly learned to go with the 25-35..and yes it properly used with head shot or double tap you could get by, but under ideal conditions any caliber will work, even spears and bows and small caliber muzzle loaders..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Indeed! I have often found humor (but don't say it too loud) in the antis claim that black powder weapons are 'non-guns'. Tell that to the folks at Waterloo or the Civil War.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The carbine came out in 42, and ranchers and hunters were using it when you were in grade school?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Killed deer with one when I was a teen so I would have no problem saying you could kill rabbits with one.
Anybody that thinks that it is as effective at 100 yards as a 30-30 is at 200 yards does not know much about either one.

Grumpy old man with a gun,,,,Do not touch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, it will work, but even though I load my own, why would you go to the extra expense over a 22 LR? I know, I'm a fine to talk. I have on another occasion bought a set of ivory grips for a Colt Peacemaker, then had to go + buy the gun that would fit them. Que, sera, sera.

Posts: 4187 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
back 40,
yes, in the 1950s they were not available until after the WW2 as I recall and the NRA sold them and others to the public at $7.50 to $14.50 as I recall, as they did the springfields..1942 has nothing to do with the subject, we were at war as I recall, and manufacturing firearms for the troops..to the best of my memory..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, yep, wartime indeed. I had a Win. Model 70 that was built in 1945 + was a "transitional model" incorporating military parts + civilian parts when going back to civilian sales. Sadly, like so many others, it's gone now too.

Posts: 4187 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a truckload of jacks using 58 grain .22 cal cast bullets. This would be in .22 cal centerfires at apx 2000 -2200 fps. Kills em instantly. Can't feature a 30 M1 carbine not doing the same, but only a keyboard guess as I never did it.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote