New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frog hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
when I was a kid we used to take a flashlight and use 22 shorts.

now that i'm grown up LOL, I thought about a low velocity 22, laser sight.

anyone try this?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A long time back we hunted frogs with a .22 pistol. Bad idea....spot, aim, shoot, frog jumps, GONE.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1037 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best way I found for bullfrogs was to dangle a 1/4 oz. Black jig, the more legs the better, in front of them at night with a light on. They attack it!

Posts: 132 | Location: Huntertown,Indiana | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Used a sling shot and a gig

Posts: 19290 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used a flashlite and a scoped .22 (you didn't need light on the sights-just the frog) !

Hip

Posts: 1784 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
before the blue hurons came about a 22 rifle and a afternoon and you had a good meal,

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!!!!

Posts: 423 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The French tend to get run and hide, if you shoot at them. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1573 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
The French tend to get run and hide, if you shoot at them. Big Grin

Grizz

animal

That's only if they don't have a handy surrender flag!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
Used a flashlite and a scoped .22 (you didn't need light on the sights-just the frog) !

Hip

Against the law in Florida. One can shoot them in the daylight but not at night .

Posts: 11902 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
The only way that I've hunted them is at night with a light and a frog gig. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If one shoots at their head where most people assume the brain would be they usually jump to where they get away. The bottom of their brain is actually close to what would appear to be between their shoulders. A pellet or bullet in that location separates their brain from their spinal cord and paralyzes them so they can't get away.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
The only way that I've hunted them is at night with a light and a frog gig. Big Grin

We did that along an irrigation ditch in the old days.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14323 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
We just catch them with our hands.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rat shot

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
we hunted on farms ponds out if a john boat. .22 with a light shooting toward the bank. very effective.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I grew up on a farm in Nebraska and I shot a lot of frogs with a pellet gun. In Iowa when my son was old enough to do the same I called a game warden to make sure that would be legal as the written regulations were a little confusing. He more or less yelled at me on the phone stating that one could not shoot them with a rifle. When I told him it would be with a pellet gun he more or less yelled at me that one cannot shoot over a waterway or over a public lake. When I told him it would be a farm pond he more or less yelled at me saying that it would be legal but that we should be getting them by other means like a fishing pole.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That wasn't a game warden----that was an idiot ! He probably was a DEMOCRAT !

Posts: 1784 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was new to hunting in Iowa the written regulations said that a gun in a vehicle had to be either in a case or broken down. I had no cases for most of my guns as I came from Nebraska so called this warden to that my .17 Remington 700 rifle would be OK with the bolt removed and he said yes. I was stopped by another warden who said that the stock also had to be removed. When I told him that Warden C_____ told me that just removing the bolt was OK, this warden called Warden C_____ on his radio and Warden C_____ denied telling me that. Anyway, I got a ticket because Warden C_____ was a liar. This Warden C______ wrote a weekly article in the local paper bragging about how he caught and ticketed lots of hunters, mostly for shooting out of vehicles. I've spent lots of time out hunting over the past 45 years and have only seen two hunters shooting out of vehicles. I think his stories were just stories and not true at all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have ordered frog legs at restaurants. They were in general kind of dried out and tuff, probably because they had been frozen. The ones I've shot were eaten within a few hours and were much better. Also, I've ordered frog legs in a restaurant in France. As I recall they were pretty good as is just about any food in france. However, they were small, about the same size as leopard frogs. I think they were an appetizer rather than a main course. And I don't know how other people cook them but I flour them and fry them in butter.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Most any edible meat is good fried in butter. Frog legs included.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blackeyeddueler:

anyone try this?

I use a .22 cricket with a red laser when frogs are to far away for the gig. It is perfect no aiming required just put dot on eyeshine an presto frog legs.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I was wondering if the PCP airgun would do this well. Keep your velocity subsonic with a DonnyFL to disguise the sound. It seems quite reasonable. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by packrattusnongratus:
I was wondering if the PCP airgun would do this well. Keep your velocity subsonic with a DonnyFL to disguise the sound. It seems quite reasonable. Be Well, Packy.

With these pellet guns it would be no problem. I dont worry about the sound do to location, and i usually use CB’s they are quiet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just checked the regulations here in Tn. I actually had never looked to see about firearms frog hunting until now.
Season is open year round,except on Twra managed lakes which is open 6-1/6-30. The use of firearms is prohibited for frog hunting on Wma and Twra lakes, air guns may be used. This has me wanting some Buffalo frog leggs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive gigged frogs on ocassion..Frog legs are good eating..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used to frog gig her in Virginia with my buddy Jack who was afraid of snakes. We used a jon boat and a trolling motor. One would drive, one up front would gig frogs using a headlamp and a gig, and then pass the frog on the gig to the guy in back, who would remove it and put it in a burlap bag. One night, after one or maybe nine beers, I gigged a small water snake and passed it back. Jack didn't realize it was a snake, not a frog. When it wrapped itself around Jack's arm, he just about jumped out of the boat. It's a good think he was unarmed, or I would have been a dead man right then and there!

Took Jack some time to see the humor in it all...

Posts: 258 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 27 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Frog hunted a lot growing up. Used gigs mostly but using hands is the best. At the end of the night we could release the small stuff and kept what we could eat and no harm done. As a boy my Dad took me out at a very young age. We waded the creeks at night, always upstream, with a flashlight, feed sack and a cigar for skeeters. For an 8 yr old this was grand adventure, until the water would get deep and it turned towards nightmare. But I learned how to bounce off the bottom and get thru the deep holes. I thought I was big stuff with a cigar and a sack full of frogs. We cleaned them that night and soaked in salt water and ate the next day.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

anyone try this?

Problem for me is that there are no frogs around anymore. Me and Dad used to kill 10-20 of a Sunday afternoon all summer. It would take a pond about 2 weeks to get big frogs again.

Now…nada! Anyone with thoughts why?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36367 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

anyone try this?

Problem for me is that there are no frogs around anymore. Me and Dad used to kill 10-20 of a Sunday afternoon all summer. It would take a pond about 2 weeks to get big frogs again.

Now…nada! Anyone with thoughts why?

I see the same thing. My thoughts are too much pesticide, it is my understanding that amphibians are very susceptible......

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Pesticide mortality is the leading theory right now. Amphibians absorb a lot from their environment through their skin, making them particularly susceptible to water-borne contaminants. Think of frog eggs - no real barrier from whatever is in the water.

When I was a kid, leopard frogs were everywhere along the river and sloughs where I grew up. Now, nothing. About 15 years ago I hunted pronghorn with my niece. We had access to a large private ranch. In the middle of this place we discovered a spring that fed a creek that was just a few hundred yards long before vanishing back into the desert. I was amazed to find the creek absolutely loaded with leopard frogs. That isolated little pocket, miles from the nearest agriculture and likely source of pesticides, was like a little test tube for me. I would have loved to study that place and compare water chemistry to that of the river where I grew up.

Posts: 3288 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Same story with frogs and muskrats around here, where did they go? Interesting theory at least with muskrats is we’re farming to clean. Back in the day there was a lot fertilizer runoff which resulted in lush vegetation in and around creeks ditches and brooks. With cleaner practice’s resulting in cleaner waterways there is a very noticeable lack of frogs and rats. Also hawks and Blue Herons are everywhere and protected. Full time farmer, trapper and hunter here and I can vouch for this. Also, in my area very very seldom do we apply pesticides. Now glyphosate’s, fungicides etc. are used extensively.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brings back lots of old memories. In my misspent youth my friends and I spent time out hunting bullfrogs all hours of the night, culminating in an early breakfast of frogleggs and eggs. One particular memory is me reaching for a dead frog and my buddy shooting his high standard right beside my ear. I looked down and saw a large cotton mouth in death throes. My friend said it was in the process of striking my hand when he shot it, Good memories.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote