New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trip Back In Time
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm a collector (some say accumulator- Big Grin ) of vintage Remington bolt action .22s--but only the models with factory peep sights. I upgraded the stock on my Model 33 NRA Junior Special last week as the stock had a chipped toe. Well, it has been a few years since I carried a single-shot .22 in the squirrel woods, so I headed to the range to zero and verify it (as well as my 67-y.o. eyes) would shoot well enough to get the job done. Rifle was manufactured in October 1933, making it 80 yrs old, and you never know about the old ones except they were made well. Here's the final 5-shot group (bottom group) off the bench at 25 yds. Qualifies nicely as "minute of squirrel".

Headed to the pecan bottom this morning, and walked to the far end and set up at the base of my favorite tree--in place and ready at 6:15. Well, 2 minutes later the limbs are shaking in the treetop in front of me, about 45 yds away. At first I thought it had to be a 'coon or turkeys as the limbs were really moving and I didn't think a squirrel was heavy enough to move the limbs as much as I was seeing, but then I saw the first one, then the 2nd. Raised the rifle and took a peek, but it was too dark still and the front sight was not visible. So--relaxed and watched around--especially the "Pecan Hotel" about 15 yds away--pretty obvious where the name comes from:'

Well, it lightened up some as sunrise approached and there were active squirrels in 4 different places within 50 yds of me--then I saw the first one in the clear in the Hotel on the curved limb sticking out to the right, and was able to get a clear shot--pop, flop. Lift the bolt, extract/eject, reload, close bolt, pull cocking knob to rear--Golly it's been a long time since I've done this. 2 minutes later another one comes toward me in the Hotel, on the same limb and when it stopped, it was another pop-flop. Turned to watch a pair out about 50 yds away up in the top of a tall pecan, but never got a clear shot. Then I looked back at the hotel and here came another one down the same limb and it stopped at the same spot--so same result. Then I hear claws on bark and one is climbing the main trunk and pauses in a fork--pop-flop-reload. That's 4 on the ground in about 5 minutes. Do I quit or wait a bit more? Decided that was enough and walked over to retrieve the 4, and they were all laying within about 5' of each other. Put 'em on my "squirrel stringer", gathered up my stuff, and headed back to the truck to finish my coffee---a good morning.

Here's the results--

One downside (maybe) is that when I put the 33 back in the safe and it tells the story, the rest of the peep-sighted vintage rifles will start whining and I'll have to take them hunting too--well, maybe that's not so bad?

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is good stuff there... I am thinking it is a shame no more people hunt squirrels any more than actually do. As sweet a meat as it gets, and a challenge in the woods, especially if it is those darned cat squirrels!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doubless--none of the cat squirrels around here--all fox squirrels. Have seen a few ground/rock squirrels in the Hill Country, but never hunted them. These fox squirrels are about half to 2/3rds the size of the ones I used to kill as a boy in Missouri Ozarks.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! I just love hunting squirrels with a 22......sadly don't have anyplace to do it anymore.

Great memories you stirred.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great stuff! that reminds of hunting squirrels in India a 22 Air rifle in the 70s.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great story! There is something cathartic about going afield with a single shot 22. Someday my dad will pass down his old Winchester 67, the gun I learned on. He's 83 and still uses it to deal with vermin in the back yard. I hope he has many more good years of vermin eradication with it. I spent many happy days exploring the woods and fields of my youth with that rifle. Thanks for sharing your story.

Mart

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote