New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recent South Texas Foray
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Had an opportunity to spend a few days in south Texas hunting hoglets and other targets of opportunity last week..........

Hoglets did not seem to want to be perforated this AM.

But Bunnies were more than cooperating......

Texas Trophy Jack!

Stopped in mid-charge @ 103 paces.

and of course the trash-pandas wanted to be included.

Nailed a double at 163 paces with the Night Vision and a few seconds later, a single!

After all was said and done I did manage to perforate a few porkers,

But nothing to write home about!

Happy Trails!

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Man that's what I call living,how many guns you keep in the blind?
FYI I was so impressed with your mention of Tim's knives that I met up with him & got one of his creations,he resides only 45 min away from me tu2

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sir,

It seems to me that much of how we hunt is determined by local custom as well as the "lay of the land".

I mainly "stand hunt" due to the nature of the climate and the topography of the area where I hunt, which is mainly the Texas hill country and south Texas.

I often will get to my stand at least an hour before "shooting light" and stay till noon. Later I will go back out a couple hours before dark and stay till midnight. Temperatures also play a role as it may be over 100 degrees F, between May and October. This gives one the opportunity to use either or both.

In Texas where I hunt, hogs and varmints can be hunted 24/7/365.

It is not uncommon to take two rifles to the stand. Depending on the accessibility of the stand I choose to hunt on a particular outing, I will either carry a rifle in a backpack scabbard and the other in my hand, or ride up to the stand and then load up!

I have both night vision and thermal. This makes it possible to take critters both before daylight and after dark. Here, that is the hours when hogs, coons, fox, coyote and bunnies are most active.

On rare occasions I have even taken three rifles.

In this instance I was "playing" with both thermal and night vision.

The rifle on the left is a Browning A-Bolt hunter with the ATN 4K Pro 5-20,(nightvision) with Illuminator. It is my favorite as I can stream the sight picture to a tablet (as illustrated by one of the photos above) and do not have to keep my eye to the scope. As I have the rifle held stationary in a tripod I can watch the tablet to see if anything comes in.

The rifle in the middle has a Thermal Optic. The optic is the Bering Optics "SuperHogster". It is an amazing optic and identifies the quarry by it's heat signature.

The rifle on the right has my newly acquired Wraith 4K mini and it is in 300 AAC Blackout This was the first time I had employed this combo and wanted to try it out.

Ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report.
Just think how much $$$ you saved by shooting two of the Tiny Ten (jack rabbit and coons) in Texas rather than in South Africa!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Thanks for the report.
Just think how much $$$ you saved by shooting two of the Tiny Ten (jack rabbit and coons) in Texas rather than in South Africa!

10/4,

That is the reason when I started buying "Doubles" a few years ago I did not want "African" cartridges.

Rather I have acquired two Merkel 141's, and a CSMC RBL Professional.

Merkel 141, 8x57JRS

Merkel 141, 30-06 Springfield

Connecticut Shotgun RBL Professional, 20 Ga. Sabot DR

As an aside, I do very few "paid hunts" where a guide is involved. All of the animals on my wall were taken on DIY hunts, with the exception of a black bear I took in New Mexico, and that is a rug on the floor.

I used to think I would like to go to New Zealand, Australia, Africa. At 70, not so much. I prefer to do my own thing and not have go through the hassle of traveling or being at someone else’s beck and call. Plus it leaves me with more lucre with which to invest in firearms.

I am sure there are experiences and vistas that I will never experience, but one consolation, no matter what continent where one find's himself, a bullet of sufficient caliber and construction, well placed, works!

Ya!

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of your high dollar guns have Leupold scopes. Says a lot for Leupold. Now that invisible scope on the Merkel probably set you back. I use to shoot jackrabbits at night about 50 miles South of San Angelo and some nights the two of us would be around 100 of them.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
GWB,

Good to see that you are out there having fun. Love the Merkels! Where is the K95 ? Happy days !

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geedubya:

How do you like that Leica scope? How does it compare to your Leupold scopes?

I do not own a Leica rifle scope but do own Leica binoculars and a spotting scope and I think they are great glass.

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Nice thread and photos, Glenn. Gee it is good to have you back here on AR.
Sure am impressed with the Connecticut RBL 20!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Glenn was banned again. Frowner

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36509 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote