Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 hornet small game loads
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone have or can anyone refer me to reliable, accurate, small game level (about the same as a 22 WMR) loads for the
22 Hornet? It often seems to me that the majority of reloaders are seeking MAXIMUM velocity and power, and both traditional printed and web posted formulae are so inclined. Obviously, I want to go in a different direction.

Hope some of you can help me on this one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
11.3 gr IMR 4227. Nosler 45 gr Hornet. Excellent accuracy out of CZ 527

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did some work on this a few years back, cannot find the data so take this for what it is worth, and a grain of salt:

Rem. Brass
Speer 40 gr Spire Point
SRP brand unknown
Bullseye

Ruger #1

1.5 Grain - bullet lodged in barrel
2.0 " - 1200 fps +/-
2.5 " - 1500 fps +/-
3.0 " - 1800 fps +/-

I did not work this thoroughly and loads/velocities are based on memory. Accuracy was as good at 50 yrds as regular loads were at 100, or about 1.5". I was searching for a subsonic load but gave up when I had the stuck bullet. Velocities came off a Chrony and are close to the actual numbers. You may have more success with the smaller charges in a shorter barrel. The one that stuck did so about 2" from the muzzle. If you have access to cast bullets they will probably work much better for reduced loads.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote