New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any 22 Hornet folks around ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any 22 Hornet folks around here ? This is my 3rd post here. Looks like a nice place to sit down with a cup of Joe and hang my hat for a spell. Anyways, I have a Savage Model 24 in 22 Hornet on top and a 20 gauge on the bottom. Have called in coyotes with this combo. They don�t go far with a Hornady V Max 40 gr. Bullet.

The shotgun is great also. Shot a few Pheasant and mountian Quail with it. This is so fun to bring to camp. I shoot this with the open sights most of the time but I do have a scope if I want to go after ground squirrels in the open fields. Most hang around scrub Oak. Here in Oregon, we have a season on the western gray squirrel. They are fun to go after.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum 3030man. That is a nice little piece you have chosen to use. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks derf
Looks like a nice place.

30-30 Man

one of us
posted Hide Post
Used to have a Ruger #3 in .22 Hornet. After Fajen worked some magic on it the thing shot remarkably well. Poof, it was stolen...and that hurt. Bought a #1 as a replacement...it shot poorly. Did the usual #1 tricks plus had it rechambered to K-Hornet and know it does very well. Can't use the light bullets in this one though, I suspect the long barrel contributes to wild velocity variations. Happy as a pig in mud with the Hornady Hornet(.224, 45 Gr.) however, and routinely does 3/4" for 5 or 10 and averages 3200fps and a bit. This load is below max for a standard Hornet per Hodgdons data and uses Li'l Gun. About to drove me crazy figuring this'n out! Great cat tonic BTW!

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Hello Mr 3030 Man: I use a a Ruger 77 with 50 grain psp remington pills and ww296 to devestate groundhogs. Your Savage is very nice for sure. We use many wcd's here and certainly like to help newcomers. Welcome. ned

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ran into that problem with my K-Hornet. I fixed it with the Lee Factory crimp Die. I am using tho 35g V-Max and a case full of LiL-Gun and crimping the PISS out of them. These bullets don't have a cannelure but they don't need one with this die. I got the idea when I pulled (exploded the case) the bullet on a 17 HMR to get a better look and it looked like it had an hourglass figure. Very heavily crimped and using Lil-Gun. My k-Hornet looks like a larger scale model of the 17 HMR so I tried it. Velocity deviation went WAY down and accuracy improved a bit (it was already a great shooter). I started crimping all my Hornets now and it seems to help. I am also using a small pistol primer. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~scott

Posts: 343 | Location: Dallas Texas | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey 3030Man, welcome to the board. I have a NEF Hornet that I just love. I think the .22 Hornet is an awesome round. I agree with your thoughts on the 40gr v-max. My favorite load is as follows:

40gr v-max
13.4gr lil' gun
WW brass
WSR primer
OAL=1.900

This comb shoots MOA out of my rifle at just over 3,000fps.

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I too have a 22 K hornet in a Ruger #3. Using 13.0 grains of Lil Gun, I get one inch groups at 100 yards and 3000 fps.

I also have a Ruger 77 in 22 hornet. I get 2967 fps using 13.0 gr of Lil gun. It gives me slightly better accuracy than the #3.

I also have a Ruger #3 in .223. It is accurate and fun. The .223 had the scope mounting tapped holes misaligned. I had to use adjustable mounts inorder to center it up.

Posts: 10 | Location: Provo Utah | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi there Mr. 22Shooter, good of you to join in! You got yourself some serious cat splatters there, sounds like they'll hit the mark! My longest was a tom in a field of peanuts at about 450 yds with my Bob in a #1 chasis. Love those 85 gr BT's. Also been know to use other stuff as well, including my truck. Welcome aboard!

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Im a ,22 hornet fan.I have a BRNO Fox that shoots beautyfully.In my experience the hornet must be a female just a tiny mistake in loading and you got trouble.But other than that its a great cartridge and Ive killed many varmints with is (seagulls) and will never part with it.

Posts: 75 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote