THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Small Game Hunting    What's the most explosive .22LR ammo?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the most explosive .22LR ammo?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted
Title says it all!

I've shot some plain-jane Federal "hollow points" but they act more like solids & don't do much damage.

What has been the most explosive bullet/round you've found?

Thanks,

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 56hawk
posted Hide Post
I've had the best luck with Yellow Jackets. They do way more damage than the regular hollow points.

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
cci stingers from what I've seen.

Although a .223 with a 50gr. Barnes Varmint Grenade is in a whole 'nother class. Smiler

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

I've been getting full penetration & 2 holes on rabbits, but who'daeverthunk a cottontail could soak up so much lead & keep chargin for the brushpile?!

Now, as to proper varmint shooting...I need to do a little of that! Big Grin

friar

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might consider a " Bullet Modification System "... to enhance a " Factory Hollow Point ", as an example.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...621053071#5621053071

PAPI

Posts: 432 | Location: California | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried the CCI Stinger?

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys - looks interesting!

I haven't tried the CCI stingers but will pick some up.

I did pick up some CCI Mini-mag "high velocity", thinking they were hollowpoints (they are "copper plated round nose"). Didn't read the package carefully enough (was in a hurry Frowner ). Also bought a 50 count package from Armscor which is a 36 gr. with a really big hollow point. Reading the fine print I see that the Armscor stuff is made in the Philippines!?

I'll report after some results are in hand! Big Grin

friar

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello, friar. Well..you did say explosive...Back in the early 1970's, I would chuck up a std.velocity .22 L.R. ctg. in bench lathe. Using a drill that gave a press-fit for a no. 4 lead shot, I drilled about .18 into nose. This cavity was filled with toy cap powder (plastic cup-like caps) & shot pressed in. (probably not the safest occupation..but as your name implies..you probably will understand when I believe my guardian angle was earning his overtime!), anyway..I shot these into 2X4 pine blocks. 1st was always penetrated..2nd. block captured bullet. splitting open, a walnut sized cavity was blown in wood, with small sharp lead splinters throughout. Though I never used these on game, they did make quite a flash when shot against a rock at night!

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .22-10-45:
Hello, friar. Well..you did say explosive...Back in the early 1970's, I would chuck up a std.velocity .22 L.R. ctg. in bench lathe. Using a drill that gave a press-fit for a no. 4 lead shot, I drilled about .18 into nose. This cavity was filled with toy cap powder (plastic cup-like caps) & shot pressed in. (probably not the safest occupation..but as your name implies..you probably will understand when I believe my guardian angle was earning his overtime!), anyway..I shot these into 2X4 pine blocks. 1st was always penetrated..2nd. block captured bullet. splitting open, a walnut sized cavity was blown in wood, with small sharp lead splinters throughout. Though I never used these on game, they did make quite a flash when shot against a rock at night!

hilbily

Now that's good medicine! Heck, these ARMSCOR hollowpoints are so large I woudn't even need to drill them - food for thought...

Now, how can I do this without my 9 year old son getting wise to it? Big Grin

friar

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I need something that really is impressive on game, I use Quik Shoks. They are not the most accurate, but for me the most impressive on game. I shoot a fair number of groundhogs around the house and these anchor them with a good chest hit, something you don't regularly get with a normal HP 22's. They just pop the top off of a squirrel's head. Pretty impressive for a 22 LR.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paco Kelly sells a 22LR ammo modifier that works extremely well. It also bumps the diameter of the bullet slightly and does greatly improve accuracy with "box" bullets. The kit comes with 3 types of noses you can re-shape the point with: A greatly expanded hollow point, something that looks like a hollow point with a post inside it and a flat concave piont.

My CZ 452 will consistantly shoot >2" groups at 100yds with Federal 525 to a box bullets with the hollow points bumped up to .224. (I have had groups as small as 3/4" on dead calm days, exceedingly rare at the Livingson MT range...)

I shoot 1500+ rounds per year at gophers (Richardson's ground squirrels) Expandsion is generally excellent even at 50 to 75 yds. I've had one shot kills at 150yds. The expanded hollow point works well but the large hollow point with the little post in it makes a nice mess at under 75yds.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot my share of CCI Stingers and they do upset pretty violently, but i never had a rifle that shot them very well. My favorite is the Winchester Power Point. Huge hollowpoint and VERY acccurate in everything i shot them in.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I started "modifying" my own as a kid and still use the same process to this day if I'm killing a "varmint" in the barn or somewhere when I don't want a pass thru.
I simply take a standard Win hollow point and with a razor knife or pocket knife I imprint a deep "x" across it. It seems to make it expand rapidly and haven't noticed any holes in the barn.
Everything I've shot was immediately dead and accuracy was still good enough to take head shots.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Hunter1:
I have shot my share of CCI Stingers and they do upset pretty violently, but i never had a rifle that shot them very well. My favorite is the Winchester Power Point. Huge hollowpoint and VERY acccurate in everything i shot them in.

+1 on the Power points--My Kimber loves them and they sure do expand.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Paco Kelly tool. I use it on CCI subsonic HP's. It really improves performance on rabbit size game. Better than any standard .22rf HP ammo I've used.

Posts: 106 | Location: Florida | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
CCI quickshocks are excellent as they are prefragmented into 3 pcs before they are loaded to Stinger specs.

I believe they are called something else these days, but they are available.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Stingers

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Stingers

+6 clap

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Hunter1:

+2 on the Powerpoints. I get 3/8-1/2" groups at 50 yds with them in my Savage Mk II FV. They'll darn near take the head off of a squirrel.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stingers shoot very well in my rifle, Yellow Jackets not near as good. All you can do is try a box in your rifle. I would suggest shooting 10 rounds to condition your bore before testing for accuracy. Power Points also shoot good for me, but while good are not as explosive as Stingers.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stingers are the most explosive but the least accurate in all four of my 22s. Win, Rem and Federal all seem about the same.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Like all other rifle shooting it is accuracy first and formost. I tried all of the HV ammo I could get my hands on and found that the cyclone, while maybe not the most explosive or fastest, was the most accurate and therfore the most likely to get into the kill zone on the small game I wanted to use it against.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington Yellow Jackets for me out of my Remington rifle. CCI Stingers are very accurate of my Ruger Mark I.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal30 1906:
CCI quickshocks are excellent as they are prefragmented into 3 pcs before they are loaded to Stinger specs.

They're just called CCI Segmented HP 22LR today.

There are two versions. The 32gr. loaded to Stinger velocities (advertised 1640fps) and the 40gr. version (subsonic 1050fps).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rdharma:
quote:
Originally posted by cal30 1906:

They're just called CCI Segmented HP 22LR today.

There are two versions. The 32gr. loaded to Stinger velocities (advertised 1640fps) and the 40gr. version (subsonic 1050fps).

rdharma, Excellent bullet,expensive,but cuts out (almost)the danger of ricochet.
ps. Good thread you started on PDCC form on amo for .22lr. very informative.Well worth a look for those that missed it.jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I agree with von gruff's post in that for the 22RF it is the most consistently accurate ammo that will work best on small game considering the small kill zone on many.

I have tried out most of the available 22 ammo on the market over the years and concur that the 'hyper' velocity Yellow Jacket and Stinger ammo, and others of this ilk, do hit hard and mushroom better than most. I did use a lot of Yellow Jackets on big bunnies and most often the bullet stayed inside so you did retrieve some nice specimens of mushroomed bullets. However I never found any of these hyper velocity rounds consistently accurate. After sometimes 10 or so rounds were fired the accuracy dropped off (when shooting paper targets). Clean the barrel and then they came back in again. This of course is not really acceptable when using a 22 rifle in the field where on good days plenty of shots can be fired but it was okay where you were only firing 10 or so rounds.

Good quality high velocity ammo with a 37gr hollow point at around 1360fps I find is the best 'field' ammo for the 22RF where noise is not an issue, other than that I now exclusively use Winchester sub-sonic ammo with a 42gr big hollow pointed soft 'blue' lead bullet and a suppressor for almost silent shooting. These even work quietly in my Remington bolt action which has about a 24" barrel on it (well it is long) and without a suppressor. The suppressor is on my Gevarm semi carbine.

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Remington Yellow jacket in my aftermarket bull barreled 10/22 and Ruger MKII to great effect on large snow shoe and jack rabbits out west. The bullet would rarely fully penetrate the bunny and when they connected they made a loud thump and the bunny would hit the dirt every time. They are one of the only rounds that will reliably cycle my Ruger MKII. I haven't tried the CCI Stingers yet but the mini mags shot pretty well out of my 10/22 as well.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote