Find
Notify
Tools

I ordered a New CZ 17HMR
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Taurus Bill
posted
The 17 M2 didn't come as a leftie. So now what do I do? I'll mount an old 3 x 9 Simmons I have in Talley Rings and install a trigger kit my smith recommends.

Before I shoot it, what else besides a good cleaning should I do? It's my first new bolt gun ever. Will it be worth any stock treatment i.e. bedding, etc.

It'll be mostly for rodents and small non edibles. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Taurus Bill

Posts: 179 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Gerald Dickerson
posted Hide Post
Let me first suggest you strongly consider a more powerful scope than a 3-9 on a .17HMR, I have a V24 on my Annie 1717 and its not a bit too much. The trigger kit he recommends is probably a Eric Brooks kit and anyone that can take a barreled action out of a stock can install it himself/herself. Most agree no real break in is required, get as big a selection of ammo as you can and check to make sure the barrel is free floated. Sight it in and become the neighborhood varmint assasinator! Go and visit the CZ section of RimfireCentral.com for much more info on this and other CZ's.

Gerald

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I bought a cz 452 17 m2 used off the net and my 10 year old son shoots 1/2" to 3/4 " groups @100 yds with it.I put a 4.5 x 14 simmons on it.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Taurus Bill
posted Hide Post
The 3 x 9 is what I currently have on hand. Craigster has a 4 x 12 Leupold Rifleman on his, I'd love to have one of those. What about the new .17 specific scopes available from Cabela's and others? From all I've read, the CZ likes the Hornady loads so I picked up a bunch of the 17s and 20s.

I just looked at the CZ site, it now shows the 17 M2 in leftie. I was told that that wasn't available and now I see it is. Aside from the cost of ammo, should I care that I ended up with the HMR instead?

Taurus Bill

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
Im seriously considering one of each caliber.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
The HMR will give you a little more pop at the longer distances. I can shoot pretty consistent out to about 175 with mine. Really depends on the cross winds. If they are high then need to back that distance down to wthin 100 yards.

I have a buddy with one of those Sweet 17 scopes on his Marlin 17 HMR. He is really good out to about 225-250yards (without the winds) but all theway out to 300 is a bit much with the HMR. It also helps to remember what distance you set the scope to. I remember him piercing a jackrabbit's ears about 5 times one time before I decided I could do better. He had the scope turned up to 300 when shooting at the rabbit that was about 20 yards away. Absolutely hilarious!!! He still catches slack for it and it has been almost 3 years now.

Good luck with the new gun

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Taurus Bill
posted Hide Post
Now that it's been ordered I'm glad I went with the HMR instead of the Mach 2. I already have a brick of both the 17 and 20 grain Hornadys, all I need now is the gun. It's my first new rifle that's not an AR and also my first bolt action. Next may be something in 300 WSM. Time will tell!

Taurus Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
The trigger pull is adjustable on the CZ 17 HM2 and HMR rifles. I had one. I now have the 17 HM2 and 17 HMR rifles in a different brand. I use the 17 HMR rifle with a Burris 4.5-14 X scope w/ AO for shooting prairie dogs out to about 150 Yds where the 17 Gr bullet has about 100 ft/lb of energy. At times I think I should have gotten a 4.5-16 X scope w/ AO. I have a 6.5-20 X scope w/ AO on a 220 Swift but most of the time I have it turnd down to 16 X. At 20 X the Leo scope has a very small feild of view. The larger power scopes are fine for target shooting but I dont care for them for hunting.

tuck2

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Taurus Bill
posted Hide Post
I finally got my new 452 in today after 7 weeks of waiting. I got it home and started to look it over. Here's a few things I noticed.

-The screw right in front of the trigger guard that holds it to the stock is already buggered up.

-The trigger is creepier than on my Bushmaster AR.

-There's a TON of for end pressure on the barrel right at the last 3/8" of the stock.

I know all these are easily remedied, but for almost $400 I'm wondering if I'll be happy with it.

Taurus Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
The CZ's are a nice rifle. With mine a HB in 17HMR I mounted a Burris FFII 4.5-14x42 scope and it all works well. I did install a brooks trigger kit whick gives it a light crisp trigger pull.

Posts: 91 | Location: Brisbane, Australia. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remember,

all .17 HMR ammo are manufactered in (ONE) factory and only (ONE) factory.

The only differences is the bullet itself!!!!!!!!!!!!