New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It has been awhile since I did this, when I was an adolescent I would go on shotgun safaris. All day trecks for squirrels and groundhogs.

Headed to a friend's farm in Alabama tomorrow to relive those days. Doves and squirrels be forewarned.

Posts: 10587 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After getting lost on the return trip and winding up in western tn, made it back last night.

We had a shrimp bowl boil for 14 people. Did not get into any doves (very windy) but killed 3 fox squirrels and 2 grey. My host got 6 grey. These found themselves in the boil.

I also got to eat at Doc Gibson's barbecue in Decanter. This was on my food Odessy list.

I was staying on a pine tree farm that belong le to a good friend and his family.

Leave for Europe in Friday.

Posts: 10587 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've never seen squirrel in a boil. Living in South Carolina it was always sausage and seafood.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was good. We had our squirrels, snow crab legs, wild caught shrimp, corn, red potatoes, lemons, audoie sausage, and a whole lot of old bay seasoning.

Just chalk it up to hillybillie ideas.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Used to do that as a kid myself sir! Good report! May have to take my little boy and partake of the same!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36411 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote