THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Small Game Hunting    Re: what kinda shootin iron do you use for feral c

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: what kinda shootin iron do you use for feral c
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
amen to that smallfry! could i get his name and address?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to see what kinda rigs eveyone uses to rid there place theose evil vermin. Right now im using my marlin 22 bolt gun but i will soon have a ruger bolt action in 17 to help me rid my house these pesky things.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shiloh, welcome home! They're all good, just a matter of what you have or can afford. Or what your neighbors will tolerate. The HMR will be a winner no doubt. The stock with the most notches in my rack is an old Rem. .22 pump, primarly fed with CB shorts or longs. On the other hand, I have found success with 30-30's, all manner of shotguns, a .257, .22 K-Hornet and a .405 Win. Probably Bob is the most spectacular. Shoots Nosler 85 gr BT's at about 3400 fps. Not much left for the skillet though. One of these days I'll unlimber my Brenneke for giggles.

I've found the .22 rf and the 30-30(170 Hornady JFP) to be the most fur friendly. Sure would like to try one of the Sharps Rifles in 50-140 though...

That is all.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know I dont post much on the cats, but just thought I would add.

At the dump and along the road to, in Alaska I have used...
22lr
22mag
270 and 280
7 mag
458 winchester
450 ackley
375H&H
44mag
They all worked well. On wounded long rifle shots, they would scoot and then hold up.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.308 Win with 150gr Berger MEF's,.223 Rem with 52gr Speer Hollowpoints,44 rem.Mag with 180 gr HP's,.22 with mini mags,12ga benelli,my bow,10 hp snowblower.3/4 turbo diesel pickup,1956 Studebaker,330&220 conibears,golden retriever.My favorite is the .223.I'm going to try 5o gr Speer TNT's next.

Posts: 281 | Location: N.E. Montana | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My weapon of choice seems to be whatever Im holding, handy or driving. It doesnt take much to kill the bastards, but 25-06AI with a 75gr VMax and a F-250 Superduty seem to be the most spectacular for splatter factor.

Yote

Posts: 87 | Location: Eldon Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of doc-and
posted Hide Post
I use a TC Contender 10" 44 Mag, with the old Speer plastic target bullets and magnum primers. It knocks the senseless and I can deposit them in the neighbors pool. Not very loud and good KO power with head shots!
Here in Kommiefornia they frown on using firearms on the pest.

doc-and

Posts: 87 | Location: Florida | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wolfer, smallfry cruel very cruel but very very necessary.LOL. Just kidding you cant be to mean to these little sum beaches. i usually use the ole nuke loaded 303 jungle carbine out on the farm and either a cb loaded marlin or a marlin garden gun(22mag bolt gun with a smooth bore for rat shot). The garden gun is particularly effective at 10 yards when a fresh tree rat is laid out and the dinner bell is rang

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was 18 in Alaska at the time and had a job at the grocery. Every week we towed a trailer of trash down to the dump. We had lots of bears at the dump, sometimes 10. Cats everywhere. Well alot of these bears were sick, sick from eating glass/garbage so it was always a concern. I had fun shooting the cats. We would usually go to the dump in twos, if someone had to move some of the piles around, the other would stand there with a rifle (usually me because I liked to be lazzy). The bears never did give anyone trouble, but I had shot a number of sick ones anyways. Being a kid and mean, we would throw fruit and cans at the bears trying to provoke them, they would snap and turn, but I never had one charge.

Back to the cats... you would see one holed up between a refridgeratior and some junk, thats where the 375,458, and 450 shined .

Well another story... the owner of the store got sick of ferals eating the packaged meat, so at night when the store was closed and the lights dimmed, another clerk and I would go into the store with a marlin papoose and a 1022. The owner didnt mind a few dammaged products. We would shoot from the sporting goods, where it was dark, down to the backwall of the meat department(about 10 yards). We collect quite a few from there. Just about the coolest boss a boy could work for.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
What ever happens to be behind the seat of my truck,which usually coincides with what ever big brother says is in "season".I could take up morties thought though,,,30/06=ductape of the hunting world,,But the .308 is pretty nifty too,and my m-14,,,and that wonderfull 20rnd clip,You don't have to break position

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Shiloh
I have never thought about those feral cats. I wish I could see one where I hunt. If I did, I would nail them critters with my Savage model 24 in 22 Hornet. I would have the 20 gauge on the bottom if they were in a tree or runing hard between bushes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
3030man, Perhaps you should name that sweet little combo gun"Everready". derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks derf
You just named it for me. Not a bad name if I say so myself.

30-30 Man

one of us
posted Hide Post
I lusted after a Savage 24F a few years back. 12 & 30-30. Bit heavy though, so I got the capegun instead. Anyway, 12 & .405 is more flexible.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan I never figured you for Savage lust.Oh well as we live and learn.I'm ordering a Model 10 FP .223 this week.I did a Tom cat one time with a 12 ga. 3" load of Steel BBB at about 15 ft.It makes the head go away.Maybe Capt Kirk has seen it in his travels.I never did find it.That Tom is in a better place now.Nothing I like better than helping a field lion "make the journey".I have to go chant and sharpen my knife.

Posts: 281 | Location: N.E. Montana | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've lusted for several savages in my time Wolfer, but I've really only owned one Savage. It was a bummer. So too were the savage maidens. Don't even want to talk about the friction it caused with the immediate members of the savage family tree.

Some time back I was cured, don't really remember how. Might have to do with the fact that my guns are now double stacked in the rack, and a man has to have priorities. I am not being snobbish when I say this, least not in my mind, I don't have any intentions of buying any more "common" guns, mostly because I have a life time supply now. Custom, some of the European doubles, and the odd semi-custom now and then. I'm way past need now, just doing the "wants". When I pondered the 24F I was hunting a place with no inbetween ranges. 100 yards +, or right in your face. I put it off long enough for the timber to grow a bit, now I have no need for that particular combo. I have been SAVED! Thank you Mother Nature! Hope your .223 is a shooter, a lot of the Savage CF's are. I lust for a Cooper at the moment...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just getting around to converting 10-22 magnum to .17 caliber. Plan on sighting in and trying it out on an old nasty ass looking cat hanging out around the homestead. One of my grandkids has had a lot of fun with a marlin 15. He has gotten two cats already.

Posts: 162 | Location: anywhere there is a cat | Registered: 25 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm on a Savage kick right now.I've owned Remingtons,Winchesters,Weatherby's,Mossberg,Smith and Wesson's,Sako's,Howa and Colt rifles.At one point I had 23 deer/antelope rifles.If the Savage doesn't shoot I'll unscrew the tube and dial 1-800-Pac Nor.I'm planning on a .17 Mach IV,.17/.223 or .19/.223 as a new field lion rifle for this spring.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm like most of you, use anything at hand. Blunt trauma to super explosive, depending on how close the nearest witness. In the Eastern side of Oregon (read consertive) we have called the species Ranch Cougers. Great sport.

d

Posts: 18 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
I tend to be a follower of'Anything Belt Fed'.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
L.C. Smith 12 guage SxS - loaded with an ounce of 7's. gets the job done every time

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll just bet it is the cat's meow Bill! Good to hear from you again. Good thing about light shot is that it leaves plenty for the kettle!

leadfoot, welcome aboard! If those cougars get out of control get in touch with Wolfer, as he is not too far away. Well, Montana is closer than Yankeetown, and I have to keep Albert groomed and all. Wolfer is one of the inventive geniuses of the house, and can surely help with all of the stray pussy problems you might have out there in Oregon.

Poletax, I hear you man, nothing like the sound of a mini overhead. It makes devout believers of the most pagan heathens on the planet.

Dan
Pres., TYGC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan you are so right.Nothing like a 10' 3/32 7X7 aircraft cable,camlocked snare on a 5/8 killpole or a laminated 4 coiled Bridger #5 on 10' of chain and a drag.Shoot,Shovel and Shutup!Hear Kitty,Kitty.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just realized the post is asking about "feral" cats. What, in your opinion, is a feral cat? I personally think any cat outdoors is feral, but someone else may think differently.

Posts: 162 | Location: anywhere there is a cat | Registered: 25 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cathunter,

My wife considers a cat without a collar feral. I'm not allowed to shoot the ones with collars.....while she's looking ;-)

Regards weapons whatever's handy, though my favourite is hunting them with dogs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
feral...Hmmm. I had a wife once that was feral. Couldn't shoot her so I pawned her off on this short ambitious red headed guy who briefly lost control of himself. Whew! It was a close one indeed!

The big book says: FERAL adj. - not tame nor domesticated; wild. also, becoming wild again after taming or domestication. typical of a wild beast, savage.

Yep, that was her. No doubt.

Another kind of Feral =

Feral Rx = Hot lead, high velocity, on time, on target.

Dan

Pres., TYGC