THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Small Game Hunting    Moly coating for higher velocity

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moly coating for higher velocity
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted
I've gotten 18% higher velocity with molycoated cats in my 4" spud gun than with plain cats, particularly when I use Gemco Starting Fluid as the propellant vice White Rain. ned

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Ned,aerosol propellants only give 10-12 psi on a good day,,,,rig up a good "shop air" gun and watch them really fly,,,Did anyone else see myth busters shooting the chickens?,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clay, Shot a magnum once, didn't like it. Will stick with the old standards.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Ned,,,Have fun!!Are you using the spray on moly? Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clay: I use techniques adopted from loading my old 6- pounder Ames. Use a double thick sheathing board wad over the propellant chamber. Slather that cat up well with homemade moly lube on a long handled paintbrush. Grab it out of the trap with blacksmith tongs and carefully slide it down the bore with a well greased sponge rammer. Use a single layer lubed over/cat wad seated with a moderate whack. The longest shot at this time has been 438 yards. My problem has been accuracy so far. Only hit the barn 3 of 5 tries. ned

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Practice makes perfect! Clay

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do they land on their feet??

Posts: 48 | Location: Northern NY | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dunno Bob, but they will land. Ned, you have fertilized my neurons BTW. What charge you using?

By the way, I'm back in Cyberspace, got some stories to tell, you'll see them soon.

Dan

Pres., TYGC

www.BungeeCanons.com

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob. I'm not sure about the feet part, I can't see the details at that distance. I do hear a real healthy splat! though. BTW, they never stick to the barn siding, prolly because of the molly. Dan, my normal charge for sort of a medium cat is a 4 second toot of Gemco starting fluid. Remote piezo ignition of course. The bore is burnishing well due to molly and the tight wads. No signs of fouling yet. I have this image of Albert and Lil' Bob being conditioned by the two minute warning buzzer to look skyward over your backyard pond, jaws agape waiting longingly for the latest lunch launch leward lob of large lions. ned