THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TROPHY ROOM FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Trophy Room Pictures    Help with mold on giraffe skin rug

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with mold on giraffe skin rug
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When having the carpets shampooed in my trophy room, which is in my basement, I saw that when I picked up my giraffe skin rug, it had green mold spots on the underside. I applied mold/mildew spray, but it doesn't seem to work as good as it should.

Does anyone have any insight into how to stop this problem without damaging the rug? Thank you.

Eric

One of Us
Picture of EddieWalker
posted Hide Post
Water down some laundry bleach and test it on a safe area. Bleach is great for killing mold, but I'm not sure how it will react to a hide.

What do you have on your floor? Are you on bare concrete? if so, condensation forms quickly on the surface of concrete and you probably need a dehumidifier in the room to fix this long term.

Posts: 129 | Location: Tyler, TX | Registered: 23 December 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My hide is on the floor being used as a rug. It is in the basement on a carpeted floor. I started using a dehumidifier last year, but I am not sure if the mold was there prior to that, as I hadn't lifted the carpet for a few years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vinegar(pure)should do the trick.

One of Us
Picture of The Artistry of Wildlife
posted Hide Post
Concrobium mold remover

Best stuff on the planet.

Any big box DYI store has it.

Bleach won't do it, Vinegar as an acid takes off the surface leaves mold roots stinks and grows
back , This stuff works....removes and prevents grow back.spray your carpet also,

Posts: 657 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best thing to do is pull up all the carpet, dry the floor real good. Then put a heavy couple coats of KILZ paint down. This stuff is a mold killer and sealer all in one. Far as I know there's only two of these products made, I don't recall the name of the other one. I got it from Lowe's but, it's common.

You might also consider busting a hole in the floor for a sump system to stop it for sure, that's also a good back up in case of flooding, pipe it into the sewer drain. IF you can do the work yourself it can all be done for $500 or less depending on damage to the carpet.

When painting this stuff make sure no one else is around to be harmed by the fumes and you have a good source of fresh air as the fumes WILL kill you in short order! When I did the wood floor of my house after a herd of dogs soaked it down. I happened to have a 75ft vacuum hose, small fan box feeding it and a sand blasters hood to wear. I put the fan out in the shop for fresh air supply and locked the door.

Kind of funny, I just poured a couple gallons on the floor and used a sponge mop to spread it around. Windows and doors open, cooler fan blowing etc. My street is real popular for folks out for an evening walk around. In the middle of it a guy came to the door concerned and telling me that stuff stinks clear out on the street and I needed to get out of it fast. He couldn't believe I had fresh air in the hood and couldn't even smell it.

This system isn't too hard to make up, might cost $100 if you can't find one to rent. Just make sure your air supply is fresh and can't be moved unknown to you. Put the source fan at a distance and secure it good.

This KILZ dries over night and there's no smell once it has. It will work on any surface it claims. Costly stuff, seems like I paid about $10 a gallon in two 5 gal buckets in '04. The floor area was around 1500s/ft and I soaked it real good twice, 2-3 days apart. Sure cured the pet stink.

Best of luck to you,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask your taxidermist.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote