New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new trophy room
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I wanted to explain a little about my new trophy room and thanks to Darin for posting my pictures.

First, I just moved to this house on the lake a year ago and had to do a reconstruction on the bonus room over the garage so I would have room for both wall mounts as well as my bear (my AR namesake). We lifted and flipped the center section of the ceiling to raise it from a flat 9 foot ceiling to a peak of 18 feet. Now there is room.

Some of the interesting trophies in the room in case they are not obvious.

Elephant foot bar stools from my best two elephants from Botswana.
Bear is my 2004 Brown Bear and squared 10' 2" and had a 28 3/16 skull on SCI and a 28" Boone and Crocket.
Mountain Lion missed book by 1/16 of an inch and was mounted by Phillip Soucy (best cat guy in the world in my opinion)
Right 3 deer are high fence deer and left left 3 are free range. All other horned animals, mulies, mexican whitetalied deer, caribou are all free range of course
Mexican White talied deer scored 150 3/8 and at that time was SCI #5
I created bar idea and still need one more layer on panels
Buffalo with Lion I shot one morning, buffalo with deep hooks was with same herd and I shot that afternoon. Killed Lion feeding on 2nd (deep hooks buffalo in Dande South with Bruce Watson)
That is a good African Wild Cat with crested Guinea fowl which I thought was interesting.
Brown Bear rug was a 9'3" square shot in SE Alaska with Bruce Parker
Paintings are from Vicki Greeff and are of Masai warriors and a Black Rhinocerous. They are all original and I have some larger Masai warriors if anyone is intersted.

Anyway, some descriptions. All have memories and I really appreciate you looking. Reason for picture of house was to show you why I went sort of rustic on Trophy Room design as it is a lake type cabin setting.

Thanks,

Larry

York, SC

posted Hide Post

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Test:

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry; Here you go. Beautfitul trophies!

Darin

one of us
posted Hide Post
BigBear's trophy room pics are posted!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That mountain lion mount is amazing. Very rare to see a mountain lion done so well. Excellent trophies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Overland. It was done by Phillip Soucy. He is in my mind the best cat guy and for sure Cougar guy. I had another guy do my lion and leopard simply because of logistics. Thanks for your comments.

York, SC

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
I was about to say the same thing about the mountain lion! Great work and a lovely house!

Posts: 2634 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL, your idea of a lake home and mine are entirely two different things! My entire house could probably fit in your trophy room....

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful room and great trophies BigBBear! Phil has done 3 cougars for me (One of them in a similar pose), and he's the only one I'd trust with cats of any sort.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Cool trophy room, but man your house looks awesome!

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Very nice Larry! I posted pics of my elephant feet bar stools a couple of months ago. They are almost identical to yours.

Very nice room. Tastefully done!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All excellent, but absolutely love the buff with the deep drops. Always wanted one like that.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are similar Todd. I had the first set done by Lifeform Taxidermy in SA and then had my second set done by a local taxidermist to match. Not a cheap trophy either but hard to beat the "cool" effect of Elephant barstools. Everybody wants to feel the hair, nails, etc. to make sure they are real.

Also, thanks for kind comments to all. This was important for me to get right as my house in Michigan was so crowded with things when I did this one I wanted it to feel like a room and not an overcrowded taxidermy studio. I feel like it is a lot better.

York, SC

One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Nice set up tu2

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job Larry on your Trophy Room.

Have put your old Heym 500 NE to good use this year--love that DR. Smiler

I'm in the process of building a trophy room around my entire new business office--tougher than I thought--will post pics when done.

Hope to see u in Reno.

Good hunting my friend.

Dennis S

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for comments Dennis. That Buff with the big drops as well as the one under the lion fell to that Heym that you now own. Good to see that you are enjoying it as much as I did. Also, the larger bots ele was to the Heym. Keep a story going on her.

Larry

York, SC

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Very impressive room and trophies.

As impressive as your African trophies are,I must say, the mountain lion is truly a stunning mount. To say your taxidermist 'captured' the look is an understatement.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nice!

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Nicely done. Thanks for posting.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great room and the mountainlion is the highlight.A question,what is the birch log standing vertical?Is it part of the coyote or am i missing something cool?

Posts: 210 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great room! Is that a Cookson's Wildebeast?

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Answers to a couple of questions as I just got home.

The birch tree is the trunk of a birch tree that some big whitetails decided to abuse. I just could not resist the opportunity to put it in my trophy room.

The wildebeast is actually an Nissa from the Selous but you have to look super close to see the minor markings of his chevron.

Thanks again for questions and yes the cougar is super but the big guy in the room is still that brown bear that squared 10'2".

York, SC

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Larry:

Who did your elephant ears?

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will, it is pretty straight forward. First they need to be tanned with no color and hair on. This way they look the best. Then you mount them and scrape the hair off. Clive Kay then painted them for me. He is Canadian and has to come to the US to a friends house to paint them. If you have your ears ready Vicki Greeff will be at my house for almost a month starting Jan. 20th. She is a phenominal artist and has done some ears before. She could paint what you want while at my house. Call me at 980-328-0204 if you want to discuss.

Larry

York, SC

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D. Nelson:

Jeez what a Buffalo!

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
What a great collection of memories!

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great collection there. Looks like you're just about out of room and need to start another one. Surely you're not done hunting.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RHK
posted Hide Post
Wow! Very nice room.

"Everybody told me you can't far on $37.00 and and a jap guitar" ~ S.E.

"Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana." ~ M.H.

Wild Bob

Posts: 73 | Location: North East Montana | Registered: 14 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for positive comments all and to Wendell for appreciating that buff. Hard to find them with better hooks and bosses. I forget now but I thought his bosses were 16". Definately a helmet head. Anyone coming to the Charlotte show next spring is welcome to come by, have a drink, stay over, etc. I am about 40 minutes from Concord.

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very impressive...well done beer

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Overland:
That mountain lion mount is amazing. Very rare to see a mountain lion done so well. Excellent trophies.

Agreed...VERY IMPRESSIVE COUGAR!!!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Display your guns. It will add to your trophy room greatly.
By the way, great setup.
The old timers always had guns displayed in old pics

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
That's a good looking cougar mount! Similar to mine below. I like your's better. Next cat!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its strange but not only in photos but also on personal visits people seem to gravitate to that couger. I am not sure I said it before but Phillip Soucy from Montana did the cougar and IMO he is the worlds best. They seem to be harder even than a leopard to get right I guess due to mostly one color. I do not know but if you have seen a bad cougar mount and then seen a good one, the differences are huge. The cougar hunts are to me one of the toughest experiences I have ever had. This is my third one and by far the best.

Thanks again for positive comments,

Larry

York, SC

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Damn nice trophies and room!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Fine looking room and trophies.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Great looking trophies. Thanks for sharing. tu2

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
Well Done!!! Nice Trophies!!!

Ray Matthews
Matthews Outdoor Adventures
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

Posts: 321 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fvh40
posted Hide Post
Very,very nice trophy room, thanks for sharing.

PH 47/2015 EC
HC 16/2015 EC
Ferdi Venter
ferdiventer@gmail.com
http://www.ferdiventerhunting.com

Nature at your doorstep

Posts: 305 | Location: SA Eastern Cape | Registered: 20 August 2011Reply With Quote