THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TROPHY ROOM FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Trophy Room Pictures    New Trophy Room Project / Progress Photos Updated for 11/16/19
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Trophy Room Project / Progress Photos Updated for 11/16/19
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ongwe:
Very nice!

But you need to shoo the neighbors damn dog out of there before he makes a mess!

lol.

He's just announcing it ready for wildlife!!!

I've got a spot light up there to highlight him when I get the urge to howl at the moon!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking nice!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1094 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
With the exception of an elk, the "deer wall" is complete. Getting the lighting just right is proving to be more difficult than I thought. Looks right to the naked eye but a photo still shows a few "hot" spots, mostly centered around the caribou and to his left. Trick is to get the animal and horns highlighted without creating massive shadows on the wall behind. Easier said than done for a novice like myself.

Working on the "Africa Section" currently.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Here is another view of the "Deer Wall". Considerations right now are to place the elk where the caribou is currently, then place the caribou above and to the right of the brown bear. That would make a "Deer Wall" and a sort of "Alaska" type wall, although the bear is from Russia, not AK. And yes, I've got to get that ugly white door painted. Anyway, doing some experiments to get it right.

I've also included a sneak peak of the "Africa" section. TV has to be moved later this week as the leopard is blocking the right lower portion. Bit of a bigger operation than expected with a TV of that size. But it's finally coming together.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is looking really good. It's also clear that you have an above-average taxidermist.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really nice room, Todd. Can't wait to see it all in there! The taxidermy looks great.

Question: As I said, I'm planning something similar. With the OSB sheeting, how big of a mount can you hang without looking for a stud? Mine will likely have drywall over the wood sheeting...

Posts: 429 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Baker,

I've got 1/2" OSB and the pallet wood is mostly 1/2" pine. So basically 1" of wood to nail into.

The heaviest animals I have up so far are the two Kudu. They are secure without being in studs, but I'd say they are probably the limit of what I'm comfortable with without nailing into a stud.

I've got a couple of young strong fellows coming over this weekend to move and hang the heavier items so once I get them up, I'll give you some additional info, or at least opinion.

If you went with plywood instead of OSB, you might be able to hang heavier items but with the outer wall being sheetrock, I think you'll need to go quite a bit heavier than 1/2" on the OSB in order to get away from locating studs. And of course, going with plywood instead of OSB is going to affect your build cost.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Love it Todd! Looking great... the rustic look rocks. Repurposed wood and tin give it a cool vibe.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7509 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Africa section is complete now. Still working on lighting but this is where it stands so far.

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 672 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NICE !

Is there any trophy in the collection
that a .458 WIN with the right bullet
would not have been perfect for the bagging?
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
The lighting must be tough. That Kudu has a shiny face and the coyote is hiding in the dark.

Really wonderful room, if that is all you have to complain about it isn't much!

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whole lot of work there. Really looks nice.

Posts: 711 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
wow

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the nice comments guys.

BWW, yes, the lighting can be a challenge as I'm finding out. In fact, if you look at the header for the Trophy Room forum with Saeed's Impala and Leopard, you'll see some of the same issues I'm dealing with as his impala has a hot spot of light right in the center, and the leopard's tail is highlighted. I'll bet it looks 100% in person as mine do, but for some reason, with the camera, those hot spots show up. So I'm still working through getting all of those sorted out. For instance on the Deer Wall, animals on the far right end look to be illuminated correctly as does most of the left side of my Africa section. The eland's face may be a bit bright. Not that big of a deal but with as much as has gone into the project to date, I want to get them exactly right. That kudu's face is shining and the waterbuck above the fridge is dark. Those seem to be the biggest outstanding issues on the posted photo.

I think the next set of photos will be the final showing unless anyone has questions. The crew is here paving the driveway today so the car will be parked in the room tomorrow for the first time. All the remaining animals are now in the building and I'm just waiting for one area rug to arrive for the musical instruments area.

As soon as those items are taken care of, I'll post the last group of photos.

Much appreciation for the folks who have followed along. It's been mostly fun but it's time to be done with construction, get it all cleaned up, and start enjoying it.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I am really enjoying it, and I thank you for the lessons you are providing.

Much as other trophy room builders have done on AR, it creates an incredible wealth of information to learn from.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Todd,

Thanks a lot for posting progress on your build. The room looks great!

Posts: 1045 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Todd, it's looking good! I love the slat wood on the walls. I can't wait to see it finished and filled! tu2 tu2 tu2 old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
One more progress photo post before a wrap up with everything cleaned up and finalized.

Someone asked about integrating the car/trophy room decor. Here is how I did it. First time for the car in the cave.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I’m still trying to figure out if this is a marriage saver or breaker!

Wonderful job and pretty fast even with the crew delays.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
I’m still trying to figure out if this is a marriage saver or breaker!

Wonderful job and pretty fast even with the crew delays.

LOL Marcus. I hear you buddy. But after 38 years, I think it's pretty bullet proof at this point, especially considering those 7 years in the military.

Fact is, as a part time builder, the wife and I enjoy the creative process of taking a vacant piece of land and building something nice. We fight like cats and dogs over certain things in the process but mostly have it worked out where she does the design and I handle operations and finance. I let her do her designs as long as it fits the budget and isn't too far out there. Of course on this one, being our personal project, we both let the budget get a little out of hand!

homer

But the wife and I have both been planning this room for a few decades. We've made changes to the plan over time and finally just got it done. This was actually as much her project as mine and I have to give her credit for most of the cool attributes.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Todd, that’s great. I’m glad you understood my attempt at humor.

I believe I met your wife just briefly at one of the banquets. She seemed like a lovely lady. She must be to put up with your hobbies, which are awesome, and your time in the service had to be trying.

Congrats on the ultimate man cave. Now you just need to stock the bar, put a smoker outside and enjoy!

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a great trophy room! I really like the reclaimed wood.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3501 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:

+1

Me too.

I would get rid of some trophies to show more reclaimed wood Big Grin

Well done.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

+1

Me too.

Well done.

Mike

LOL Mike,

We all know you'd have that room displaying Blasers and a Tesla!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
quote:

+1

Me too.

Well done.

Mike

LOL Mike,

I like it. I am really not into taxidermy. The American stuff also looks nicer to me than the Africa - but that is just me.

I really like the reclaimed wood. I really like the finished concrete floors.

The Dodge Viper is a nice touch. I would get rid of the drums Big Grin

I would have more guns all over the place Big Grin

Overall it is very nice and cool.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Nice room!! Having it loaded up really puts it all together. Well done.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

+1

Me too.

Well done.

Mike

LOL Mike,

Not a Tesla, a Prius maybe Big Grin

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1094 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hogbreath:
quote:
quote:
quote:

+1

Me too.

Well done.

Mike

LOL Mike,

Not a Tesla, a Prius maybe Big Grin

Now I need to cancel my Tesla pickup truck preorder for a Prius Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for doing this!

I have to get something together at some point, and the more options I see, the better.

I will probably steal some of your ideas when the time comes. I really like the reclaimed wood!

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
MAN! This room gets better every time I see it!

WELL DONE SIR! tu2 tu2 tu2
…...…………………………………... old beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Looks wonderful. Quite relaxing. The wood walls pop. We have some accent walls in our house like that.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 859 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas.

I still plan to post some final photos but I still haven't gotten some of the very final items taken care of yet. For one, we've had a hell of a time getting the sink set for the bar. We had a petrified wood sink (one in the bathroom is installed and working fine) that is too thick for any commercially available drains. It needs about 6" of threads and we can only locate ones with 4". So we opted for a standard vessel sink. It shows up and requires a delicate routing in the counter top that the plumbers were not willing to try. So we've ordered yet another vessel and are waiting for it to arrive.

I did have the painters do their final touch ups last week but the masonry guys have a few bricks to reset.

Then there are some final grade / landscaping concerns.

All told, I may wait until completing the landscaping details before making a final post. May be a little while now that winter is upon us ... well, as much winter as we get here in TX!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd, this is a very impressive trophy room, well designed and constructed. You have a fine collection of animals and a perfect venue to reminisce about all of those wonderful memories and plans for future ones.

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Lovely man cave you have created. I drive a Dodge as my daily car, damn Swedish gas prices.

Posts: 2634 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Looks great Todd. Lighting can sure be a problem, especially with dark walls, ceiling and few windows. You look like you have that part figured out though. Very nice room with lots of room!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

Nice! Love that you attached the shoulder mounts to the wall in a somewhat random fashion. These trophy rooms with everything on a straight line just look too stuffy to me.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks great! I showed my better half and now she wants to buy a new house...

Posts: 35 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: 08 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done, all around. Congrats on a great space.

Posts: 986 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Great room ! Congrats. Whens the 'trophy room warming party'?

Super work and mounts!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote