New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attaching a Bear Rug to the Wall
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Wondering what is the best method of attaching a bear rug to the wall for a flat wall mount. The wall is standard flat sheetrock. I have seen them done with staples, T pins, nails, etc. Just want to hear from some experience on what would be the best. The rug is head on, 6ft 5in nose to tip of the tail and weighs right at 40 pounds.

Thanks for the replies!!

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30378:
Wondering what is the best method of attaching a bear rug to the wall for a flat wall mount. The wall is standard flat sheetrock. I have seen them done with staples, T pins, nails, etc. Just want to hear from some experience on what would be the best. The rug is head on, 6ft 5in nose to tip of the tail and weighs right at 40 pounds.

Thanks for the replies!!

My taxidermist sewed D-rings on the felt at chin & paws just for mounting to the wall tu2 I just used regular sheet rock anchors & screws.

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also use d rings sewed in to rug.never had any issues.

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a number of rugs mounted on the wall. The brown bear is the heaviest and it is stapled right to the sheet rock. Easy Peezy and small holes if you need to take it down for a move.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30378:

Thanks for the replies!!

Well, first you have to skin the bear, otherwise it is a bit lumpy.....

Sorry, I couldn’t resist....

jumping

Posts: 10094 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvrhunter:

That is what we did with a 14’ croc that was cumbersome and heavy.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Your bear is the same size as the one I have hanging on my wall. Half inch staples through the felt and you're good to go. Don't be stingy with the staples.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2286 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvrhunter:

My taxidermist always installed them routinely.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
D Rings are the way to go, head & paws.

And then if you have some sagging areas, staples or small nails will work.

That is how I have a zebra, and some pattern stitched hide rugs hanging on the wall.

If you have a plant or currio ledge near the top of the wall, you could hang half your bear rug over the ledge and the other half folded on top. I have a Bear rug and Zebra rug displayed that way. Then you could display the skull on top of the rug. I have one of my bear rugs display that way, on the zebra rug I have a warthog skull displayed.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1563 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in this question too.

For those that have D rings on the rug, what kind of fastener did you use to mount it to the wall?

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
I'm interested in this question too.

For those that have D rings on the rug, what kind of fastener did you use to mount it to the wall?

Nose/chin is a screw with a washer into a Stud. Ring goes over washer & can't pull off screw, paws are sheet rock anchors that fold up on the inside when tightened allowing you to remove machine screw, install washer, leave loose enough to place ring over washer. (blind hole molly anchor?)
tu2
How's that making it great again stuff working out for ya?

Pretty Dam Good thanks!!

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used stick pins to hang my leopard to the wall. Worked well.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2757 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Staples

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2576 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
I used staples on my Zebra skin.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 632 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the "D" rings to secure mine, attached to picture hangers. One thing about this is if the rug is hanging vertically, It will stretch over time and the attaching points will need to be adjusted and may cause some ugly holes in the wall

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a number of rugs mounted on the wall. The brown bear is the heaviest and it is stapled right to the sheet rock. Easy Peezy and small holes if you need to take it down for a move.

I've been to Mark's house and seen them. And, yes, the staples do work. Big Grin