THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TROPHY ROOM FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Trophy Room Pictures    Need some ideas for finished wood for walls in basement trophy room.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some ideas for finished wood for walls in basement trophy room.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As the title says. I have drywall covering all the walls in the basement trophy rooms of my home. It is actually 3 different rooms. When the house was built I put blocking in between the framing to mount trophies. Well as the years have gone by the # of mounts has continued to grow and I need to be able to use more of the wall space that I have. It is framed with studs 2 foot on center. I really don't want to tear the drywall out so I am considering using some kind of high end wood covering on the upper half of several of the walls. I have some pretty big critters to hang. Any suggestions on wood or alternative methods of hanging heavy mounts without hitting a stud??Ideas, suggestions, and/or photos would be appreciated. Thanks, 163bc

Posts: 285 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe some hardi board vertical siding comes in 4X8 sheets.

Life member NRA
formally scrappy

Posts: 192 | Location: Ga | Registered: 21 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Check my new post. Lotsa wood and not expensive. Some of it recycled with old patina.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use one of the wing things that spread out behind the drywall. I used them in my old house and they worked fine.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Use one of the wing things that spread out behind the drywall. I used them in my old house and they worked fine.

Thought of that but moose, elk, and bou mounts are pretty darn heavy. I'd be afraid they would rip right outta the wall?? Anyone hanging moose heads with the drywall toggles?? Thanks, 163bc

Posts: 285 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wtnut
posted Hide Post
Go to a plywood specialty store and check out what they have or can get in and tell them what your looking to do with it.
You can buy 3/4" plywood with a thin wood facing such as rough cedar, planking, etc.
Attach it to the walls and you have a surface
that you can attach anything to.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtnut:
Go to a plywood specialty store and check out what they have or can get in and tell them what your looking to do with it.
You can buy 3/4" plywood with a thin wood facing such as rough cedar, planking, etc.
Attach it to the walls and you have a surface
that you can attach anything to.

Agree, 3/4" veneered plywood comes in just about any species you want. I just used quarter sawn white oak to build a set of bookshelves.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Check my new post. Lotsa wood and not expensive. Some of it recycled with old patina.

Can't find it. Can you post or PM the info to me please?

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I used 3/8" T & G cedar in kind of a herringbone pattern. The cedar is over 1/2" gypsum board which is over 1/2" plywood. I fastened the cedar with staples per the directions in the packaging. If I was to do it again, I would have used construction glue.

Here's half of the wall that I covered with cedar.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VERY NICE tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of R8 PRO
posted Hide Post
nice room, the wood does set things off nicely.

Relax and light a Cuban.

Posts: 177 | Location: UK | Registered: 16 May 2013Reply With Quote