THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TROPHY ROOM FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Trophy Room Pictures    Need help on 30x30 Trophy Room - Roof

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help on 30x30 Trophy Room - Roof
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Northman56751
posted
I plan on putting a 30x30 trophy room addition onto my house and have a few questions.....

Lights
* Can, track or LED? Since I live in northern MN, I worry about doing a lot of can lighting due to moisture/enough insulation.
* How are the LED's as far as casting light vs. the standard can/recessed lights?
* Any recc. on where to buy the lights.............website?

In order to get the best ceiling height, what would you do?
* Parallel cord trusses
* Scissor trusses
* Big horizontal load bearing ridge beam with I joist floor trusses tied into it

On the parallel cord trusses, I just found out the heal height will be about 3 feet!! With 9 or 10 foot walls and a 7/12 pitch, the roof on my addition would be about 8 feet higher than my existing roof. Would look weird since I have a 1 level rambler

On the scissor trusses, in most cases the bottom part of the truss is about 1/2 the pitch of the top. So, if i have a 7/12 pitch, the bottom part of the truss would be a 5/12 pitch, lowering my ceiling height by about 2 feet. Leaves me with only about 14 feet to the top

Center beam with I joists. I prefer this but it does have a couple of drawbacks. It is very labor intensive and a lot more money. None of the truss companies will sign off on it as it isn't a truss. They will supply the materials and say it can be done, but won't sign off on it. Also, where the one vertical support beam (for the horizontal ridge beam) would be located, is right in the middle of the entry into the trophy room from the house (see hunting camp pic.)! I want at least a 6 foot opening into the room so that shoots that to hell! If I eliminate or shorten this vertical beam, i will have try transfer the load somewhere else....as in around and down the sides of the entry. We have this similar construction at our hunting camp but since it (camp) has a loft in it, the one vertical support beam (has 3 - one at each end and 1 in the center) in the center of the cabin is concealed, on the main level, as it is tied into the wall/steps.

The construction is going to be (from outside in):
* Vapor barrier (Tyvek or similar)
* 2" Styrofoam
* 2x6 Walls with either batt insul. or spray foam
* 3/4 plywood on interior of studs. Will get my shear strength here
* Drywall

Hunting Camp
The vertical support beam behind the moose is the one that would be smack dab in the middle of the entrance going from the house into the trophy room!

Any pictures from some other trophy rooms that are similar would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks......

Brett Mattson
www.hosted-hunts.com
E-mail: brett@hosted-hunts.com
Cell: 218-452-0774
Life Member NRA

Posts: 258 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Schaefer
posted Hide Post
Contact Tom Julian at Julian and Sons. They laid out and planned the lighting for my Dad's trophy room. Very knowledgeable and great to work with.

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted..."
Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting.

Posts: 52 | Location: Minneapolis, MN USA | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
About 25 years ago I built a 30x35 foot trophy room addition to my house. Labor force was myself and a hired carpenter, plus four co-workers that helped raise the center beam. Other than a backhoe to dig the basement, no other heavy equipment was used.

My house is on a hillside overlooking the Gallatin Valley and I have a great view to the West, and good views to the North and South, so I put too many windows in my trophy room.

When I built this room, I hadn't been to Africa and didn't think far enough in the future. The side walls are 9'-9" high, and the center beam is 14' high. The side walls are 3' above the windows, I should have made them at least 5'.

The center beam is a glue-lam 6"x24"x40'. It is supported on the east end by 6 vertical 2x4s and the west end by 6 vertical 2x6s.

The roof side beams are glue-lam 4"x12". They are connected to the center beam with welded 1/4" steel saddle brackets. They are 6' on center.

Instead of trusses, I used 2x6s 24" o.c. over the side beams, and another layer of 2x6s 24" o.c., perpendicular to the lower layer. Each layer of 2x6s is filled with batt insulation.

You could solve your problem of the center post being in the center of your doorway by building your doorway header and side posts large enough to support the center post above the doorway.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Northman56751
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the picture.....kind of the layout I will have.

Have you had any issues with the roof/snow load on the walls?

I like the idea of the roof line being 5 ft. above the windows but in my case, I don't think it will work. Since the entire roof line on my house runs east/west and the addition will run north/south, I have to be very careful not to get my roof height to far above my existing house.

On the reply for Julian and Sons. Thanks.....I would love to, but don't think they're in my budget.

Brett Mattson
www.hosted-hunts.com
Life Member NRA

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Northman56751:
Thanks for the picture.....kind of the layout I will have.

Have you had any issues with the roof/snow load on the walls?
None whatsoever. I can't remember the calculations, but a heavier snow load than we get was calculated.

I like the idea of the roof line being 5 ft. above the windows but in my case, I don't think it will work. Since the entire roof line on my house runs east/west and the addition will run north/south, I have to be very careful not to get my roof height to far above my existing house.
My original house was a tri-level and I originally wanted the trophy room ridge to meet the ridge of the upstairs of the tri-level. A design change during construction put the TR ridge 6" above the tri-level ridge. At that point I could have raised the TR ridge another 2' without any problems. Hindsight. Frowner

On the reply for Julian and Sons. Thanks.....I would love to, but don't think they're in my budget.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I wanted an open look, so went with a 42' long glulam beam the length of my room. Half of the room projects beyond the house, so has a cathedral ceiling that is 13' at walls and 24' high in center line. The other half that is within the house line has a 'shed' roof so it goes up to 30' where it meets the rest of my house. No trusses, it is entirely open inside.

Posts: 3851 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Northman56751:
I plan on putting a 30x30 trophy room addition onto my house and have a few questions.....

Lights
* Can, track or LED? Since I live in northern MN, I worry about doing a lot of can lighting due to moisture/enough insulation. Use the LED can lights. In the long run you will save money
* How are the LED's as far as casting light vs. the standard can/recessed lights?
* Any recc. on where to buy the lights.............website?

In order to get the best ceiling height, what would you do?
* Parallel cord trusses
* Scissor trusses Probably your best bet. Easy to install and does not have the large heel height
* Big horizontal load bearing ridge beam with I joist floor trusses tied into it

On the parallel cord trusses, I just found out the heal height will be about 3 feet!! With 9 or 10 foot walls and a 7/12 pitch, the roof on my addition would be about 8 feet higher than my existing roof. Would look weird since I have a 1 level rambler

On the scissor trusses, in most cases the bottom part of the truss is about 1/2 the pitch of the top. So, if i have a 7/12 pitch, the bottom part of the truss would be a 5/12 pitch, lowering my ceiling height by about 2 feet. Leaves me with only about 14 feet to the top

Center beam with I joists. I prefer this but it does have a couple of drawbacks. It is very labor intensive and a lot more money. None of the truss companies will sign off on it as it isn't a truss. They will supply the materials and say it can be done, but won't sign off on it. Also, where the one vertical support beam (for the horizontal ridge beam) would be located, is right in the middle of the entry into the trophy room from the house (see hunting camp pic.)! I want at least a 6 foot opening into the room so that shoots that to hell! If I eliminate or shorten this vertical beam, i will have try transfer the load somewhere else....as in around and down the sides of the entry. We have this similar construction at our hunting camp but since it (camp) has a loft in it, the one vertical support beam (has 3 - one at each end and 1 in the center) in the center of the cabin is concealed, on the main level, as it is tied into the wall/steps.

The construction is going to be (from outside in):
* Vapor barrier (Tyvek or similar)
* 2" Styrofoam Not sure of R value requirements in MN but in Mi that wont be needed. Could use 3/4" and with great interior insulation you will be fine.
* 2x6 Walls with either batt insul. or spray foam Stay away from the batts. Very old school. Spray foam or blown cellulose is far better. Some houses i use a combination of both. A 1" layer of foam then fill the bay with cellulose
* 3/4 plywood on interior of studs. Will get my shear strength here
* Drywall

Hunting Camp
The vertical support beam behind the moose is the one that would be smack dab in the middle of the entrance going from the house into the trophy room!

Any pictures from some other trophy rooms that are similar would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks......

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know the prices back in MI. But, here in CO the difference between fiberglass and cellulous isn't much and I feel a whole lot safer with something that won't burn no matter how much heat develops. I know they claim treated newspaper won't burn. BUT: I put a double handful on the patio and it had a steady light burn over the surface for quite awhile. The fiberglass just turned red with torch heat. It can also be blown in under pressure and pack tight, if any water seepage gets in it won't rot either.

I don't know about foam whether it can/will burn or not. Never had any to play with.

Far as the outside ridgeline being a different height. Don't worry about it much. At the right point just make a slope up/down to meet the other one and it'll look ok.

That's a hell of a hunting cabin!!
I do agree a higher wall will make you much happier. Especially when you start hanging the bigger heads on it.

Let's see what you've got done so far on this build your post is six months old. No doubt you've gotten started by now.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Northman56751
posted Hide Post
Started on the addition...........nope!

Got tied up with some other things. Plan is to start this spring.

Brett Mattson
www.hosted-hunts.com
Life Member NRA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, who's the little munchkin on the sofa? :-)

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I would use 3/4 OSB under the sheetrock

Very strong and moisture resistant and by far less expensive than 3/4 plywood

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put some sun reflective curtains in the windows to keep your mounts from fading in the bright sunlight.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote