New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help I need mantle ideas
 Login/Join

posted
My trophy room is under construction and our
Contractor is asking me what I want for a fireplace mantle. I need some help. Fireplace is 9’ wide 27’ high. Anyone have pictures you would like to share?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no pictures. I don't know your location, based on your name would guess an area where mesquite is not common. Here in Texas mesquite trees are mostly unwanted and like weeds. Most are scrubby trees but they do grow into large knarly trees. Most Texans do not recognize mesquite wood, but it is very beautiful wood. My dentist has a mesquite mantel in his waiting room. Maybe 5 inches thick and the front of it left natural with the bark removed. New growth on the tree can be lemon yellow and the inside can easily be confused with mahogany or walnut. It is a very pretty wood.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
You are right on both counts. Meaquite is a beautiful wood +where common considered a trash wood. (makes damned fine BBQ though) But when finished t a beautiful wood with a lot of character. The reasons why some of the mesquite rifle stocks are so high is that they never grow to a great size on an average + they have a tendency to start rot at the core; but when you find a good one the results are world-class. I had an old friend from years ago, a taxidermist ( Danny Adney)in San Angelo that built glass end + coffee tables with wildlife scenes in them made from mesquite. We raised the quail, doves, pheasant, etc. for his projects.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

Posts: 1449 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
deleted

Posts: 1449 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sent a pm, no response. I don't know how to post pictures here, but I have a couple pictures of the mantel at the Dentist office I took today. Send me a pm with your cell number and I will forward them to you.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We just finished our new house, I used old barn wood for a mantle.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2744 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to steal a thread, but how hi should a mantle be?

I'm facing my fireplace with slate and will make a mantle. I plan to use a 4X12, which has been drying in my living room right now.

Get out your tape measures!

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 274 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
First of all, thank you for the replies. I went with a large piece of walnut 14"x 10" x 8 1/2'. As soon as the rock work and wall carpet are complete I will post photos.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built a contemporary fireplace across a corner in an Aframe. Sides curve back to walls.
Mantle is plywood and also curves 2 layers of thin ply with dry wall screws for font curved face. Spackle and Semi flat black paint.
Overhead light on skulls. People really attracted to toothy ones.
Alas, wife had objections so now "dead animals" are banned to less public areas.
"This is my house too", "Yep, half the walls are yours, half are mine. Pick your walls."
Worked.
Scott

Posts: 124 | Location: Boiling Springs | Registered: 16 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post

Posts: 513 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jerrymontgomery:
Not to steal a thread, but how hi should a mantle be?

I'm facing my fireplace with slate and will make a mantle. I plan to use a 4X12, which has been drying in my living room right now.

Get out your tape measures!

Check the codes in your area to be sure.
In Michigan if the mantle is 12" deep it need to be at least 12" above the top of the fire box

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uplandhunter2:
https://i.imgur.com/hJEFuHf.jpg

That came out great! It looks wonderful.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used some spare bridge timber I had laying around. Over the mantle I painted it black and over my picture window I stained it a natural color. Think it's around 3in thick 16in wide. Heavy stuff