New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with Whitetail Skulls
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I believe some of you here on AR have probably accumulated quite a few whitetail trophies, and after a number of shoulder mounts, started keeping euro
But, how to display them?
I have 30+++, and growing, and haven't come arcoss a stylish way to put them forward.
Any ideas?!?
Orvar

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pile of antlers in the garage.

I look at them every time I enter and ask my self what should I do with them.

I guess the kids can auction them off with the rest of the things.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure this will be that helpful, but here is one solution for Euro mount roe deer skulls:

(A Swedish hunter's trophy room - not mine!)

I've had a couple American-style European whitetail skull mounts done. For some reason, my wife finds the "true European skull mount" more acceptable than the "American-style European skull mount."

I mean:

• "true European skull mount" = the skull has been sawn in such a way that there is only half an eye socket, no teeth, and only the bridge of the nose.
  • "American-style European skull mount" - the entire skull is preserved, with the lower jaw bone removed, so that the upper jaw, teeth, and nose bones are present

She is not so enthusiastic about me acquiring more American-style European whitetail skull mounts. And the ones I have are displayed somewhat informally:

Like p dog shooter, I have more antlers in the garage and shed, and have never resolved what to do with them.

Jeff

Posts: 675 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually stack them up then sell anything that doesn't make trophy status.
around here that is a 25+" mule deer [160+]
we have a guy come through town every fall that buys antlers, I'll take him down 40-50 lbs. of this and that every few years.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had this done a couple of years ago. I just took it to my taxidermist to have a third one added to the bottom.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could always bronze some of them for a different look. I am also looking into ways to artificially age some of mine, so they look like they they're really old. Will try soaking some oak leaves in a drywall bucket until the water turns really dark, and soaking the skulls in that until they absorb the color.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I started getting picky on bucks
That way I shoot less but better, older and I don’t overdo the walls

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
One concept I have mentioned on here before that to me is somewhat odd but shows how peoples attitudes change about certain things, but a antlered deer skull hanging on the wall or lying on a shelf, does not ellicit the same reactions/responses from people as a shoulder mount does.

They know both animals were hunted and killed, but a skull is sort of a non-entity whereas with the hide and eyes a shoulder mount bring things into clearer focus for some people.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Deer skulls, elk skulls, pronghorn antelope skulls...hanging on the trusses in the garage.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
One concept I have mentioned on here before that to me is somewhat odd but shows how peoples attitudes change about certain things, but a antlered deer skull hanging on the wall or lying on a shelf, does not ellicit the same reactions/responses from people as a shoulder mount does.

They know both animals were hunted and killed, but a skull is sort of a non-entity whereas with the hide and eyes a shoulder mount bring things into clearer focus for some people.

Exactly Randall

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I began tossing horns/antlers into cardboard containers as there was no more room for them. It became much like saving cottontail trophies - what is the point? You eat them and then go shoot some more.
Even my first 300+ bull elk rack was sentenced to watch over our courtyard as I refused to build a separate trophy room.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of elk, deer, Pronghorn bleached skulls hanging in my shop, some on the outside wall, some inside..some in my office, some in different rooms..I have a 383 elk in the living room, skull mount..A big mounted cape buffalo, a big waterbuck, and a Kudu mounted, everything else is skulls and stacked up in the corners of the shop, barn, outsheds...I skin out the skull, and very carefully boil them in Draino..then bleach them, sometimes I just saw the skull plate off and nail them to the barn..Make stuff out of the smaller ones on ocassisons, like a quirt handle, knife handle, whatever.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I put a lot of deer horns in the trees around my back yard for the squirrels to chew on to get their calcium. I long ago used all the space for deer horns on my walls. The African stuff takes priority for wall space.
....................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adding up both whitetail an mulie racks a good fair guess would be: 4 shoulder mounts, 4 skulls sitting around the den and another 200 racks lying about or hanging in the barn could be more out there on the piles. I keep my brown bear skulls on the mantel. I only have one cape buffalo skull in the den the rest hanging in the barn. My lion mount and brown bear mounts are in our entrance way. Now when in Africa I just take pictures of all my trophies.

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of odyssey
posted Hide Post
This is a work in progress, but you can get the general idea. Anything that doesn't get shoulder mounted gets a Euro mount.

Posts: 44 | Location: League city, TX | Registered: 21 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Hang em on the barn. No one gets to see them inside.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The right sized ones, I use as rattling horns. Others, door handles, drawer pulls, knife handles, etc. I only hunt deer for meat anymore.

Posts: 10003 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Come on Lavaca, you just ain’t seen one bigger than yer biggest yet!

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
When I lived in El Paso I used to mount the sculls and horns on the inside of the outside wall of my garage over my welding table. When I transferred to Dallas I sold my house.
I had already emptied the house except for the steel welding table and the horn racks on that wall when the people who were buying the house, came over. I had the garage door open, and I told the new owner I would remove the table and the horns off the wall, which he stated that he did a little welding himself, and would buy the table if I would leave the rack on the wall.
I told him I couldn't take the table with me to Dallas/Fort worth anyway because I would be living in apartments till I could build a new home, so he could have it, and the racks if he wanted. A great smile came on his face, like a kid at Christmas. That wall had over twenty nice racks, all mule deer. So evidently I'm not the only one who likes scull racks on the wall.

……………...…...……...…...…...….. old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote