New
Find
Notify
Tools

ceiling height
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I may be building a new home and will have a trophy room. What is the minimum ceiling height? My larger trophies are elk, kudu, sable, gemsbuck, cape buffalo.
Thanks

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
For large horns and antlers 10'

A vaulted cieling is also valuable for hanging options

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10' will work 12 better so the mounts will be high enough kids can't reach them.

My friend's Kudu mount was 6' from the bottom of the neck to the tip of the horns. He had an 8' ceiling. So he raised the ceiling by changing the trusses from flat to cathedral, and while he was at it remodeled the rest of the house. The results look great but a LOT of work.
I have a 14' ceiling so I just put a screw in the wall and hung up my Kudu.

Mark

Posts: 1223 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a combination of 10 and 14 feet; there is a four foot wide strip where it drops from 14 to 10; I have a topi, Grant's reedbuck, ibex, and blesbok on that. The bigger stuff is in the 14 foot section. I would never go higher than 14.

More importantly, sheath it with 3/4 inch plywood.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
the taller the better imo. depending on what you can build. here is an 18' ceiling in my living room.
http://forums.accuratereloadin...1821043/m/3061098812

the elk is a total of 5' tall from base of chest to tip of tallest antler.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The most you can get.......it will fill up and you will want the room.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

More importantly, sheath it with 3/4 inch plywood.

OSB is much less expensive and will hold any screw/animal you wish to hang

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My side walls are 10 feet and with a cathedral ceiling the end walls are about 19 feet at the peak, I have 3 Kudu skull mounts (and an Impala) over an 8 foot french door on one end and on the other end is a ceiling height stone fireplace holding my first Cape Buffalo. What they are suggesting about sheathing with plywood or OSB is great advice, makes the walls much stronger and you can mount things anywhere.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My side walls are 12', which allows ell or stag to be mounted and some smaller things below. Peak of my ceiling is 16'. That is nice.
I put 2x12 blocking around room 3-4' down from ceiling and covered the walls with 1/2" plywood before drywall. Makes hanging easier

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooperjd:
the taller the better imo. depending on what you can build. here is an 18' ceiling in my living room.
http://forums.accuratereloadin...1821043/m/3061098812

the elk is a total of 5' tall from base of chest to tip of tallest antler.

There is a limit; my living room has 20 foot ceilings; I have no mounts in it and don't intend to, but 20 feet is too high. In fact, 20 feet is too for anything except large paintings. Makes for terrible acoustics as well.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My family room is 18' and I put an ibex up fairly high and a croc flat skin near the top also and the giraffe shoulder mount needs a bit of height also.
If you can make it to 18' or so I definitely would.

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
10' is not enough. My gunshop has 10' sidewalls and a 12' ridge. Its not enough if you have or will have several large trophies. The kudus set about 5'8" at the breast with the horns 6" shy of the 12' mark, yes they are large kudu. I can't fit a big eland here.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1235 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
My walls are 13' high, cathedral ceiling peaks at 24'. If I ever build another house and room, the next walls will be 14' high. With large animals like kudu, moose, elk, they are still not that far off the floor.

Posts: 3835 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
My side walls are 10 feet and with a cathedral ceiling the end walls are about 19 feet at the peak, I have 3 Kudu skull mounts (and an Impala) over an 8 foot french door on one end and on the other end is a ceiling height stone fireplace holding my first Cape Buffalo. What they are suggesting about sheathing with plywood or OSB is great advice, makes the walls much stronger and you can mount things anywhere.

Does the plywood or OSB need to be glued to the studs, or is nailing it good enough>

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Powered by Social Strata

I built my room 28 X 40 feet with 12 foot side walls. By building these side walls this height you have room to put some larger animals on them. On all my walls that I am hanging animals I covered them with 3/4 inch plywood. Over this plywood I covered them with 1 X 6 incense tongue and groove cedar. I now have walls of 1 1/2 inches and I don't have to find a stud to hang my larger animals. My ceiling is 24 foot.

One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:

Does the plywood or OSB need to be glued to the studs, or is nailing it good enough>

Screw or nail it to the studs. Glue is used on sub-floors to heplp prevent squeaks.

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being a Taxidermist I would prefer the mounts to be eye level or slightly higher. Up 12-14 feet up kind of takes away from seeing all the attention to detail that goes into a high quality mount, looks nice higher for big mounts, Elephant, buffalo and skull/horn mounts, jmo.

Paul B

Posts: 58 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went to a seminar at DSC this year put on by Julian & Sons on design of trophy rooms. They really seem to know what they are talking about. I think recommendation was 12 to 14' depending on the size of the room.

Posts: 9954 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Went to a seminar at DSC this year put on by Julian & Sons on design of trophy rooms. They really seem to know what they are talking about. I think recommendation was 12 to 14' depending on the size of the room.

I would totally agree with that and Paulbacs - up too high and there is not detail. I have several elk, caribou, moose, kudu, etc. up high, but smaller stuff like klipspringer and warthogs look better lower, as do deer skull mounts and euro mounts of hartebeest, etc.

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:

I inquired with them as well, when I built my new room. They were north or 100K for JUST THE MILLWORK!!!

I gave myself a moment and didn't do the detailed millwork that they are famous for.

My room is a bit different. I needed as much square feet as possible and only had a certain sized footprint to use. (zoning) I have a 25 foot "do not exceed" limit as well. With roof pitch and all the other engineering, I had a 17 foot ceiling max. So, doing the math, I built a room with a balcony that surrounds the main open room. The ceiling is only 8 feet in the balcony area and under the balcony. It is actually fine for the regular stuff, without towering horns or antlers.

The balcony doesn't go around completely, there is a 25 foot and a 14 foot wall that both go floor, to ceiling, plenty of room for anything, including an Elephant shoulder mount. (planned)

The exterior balcony wall, gives me a third level wall to use as well.

Build the happy medium between your unlimited desire and whats practical. Use your height wisely.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3342 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Interesting post to read. Because of cost my current trophy room is 9' 5" and needs another couple of feet at least. My buddy was at 14 feet and it was so high all we could see was the base of the neck and mount. I really like the 11-12 ft range but having a peak in the middle is not bad either. All depends on amount of available space and $$$$. I had less $$$$ so I could only go 9'5".

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted Hide Post
An elk mount in an upright posture will be 6' from tip of antlers to bottom of brisket. You won't want to have the tips touching the ceiling either, so add another 6"-8" onto that vertical dimension ...having said that, a 10' ceiling with elk on the menu is not enough. 12' side walls would be my minimum if you're going to have vaults that go higher, 14' if you won't. I think you'll be surprised how much wall space these critters take up!

Of course, you can choose a mannequin arrangement that's not as tall, but why limit your options right out of the gate!?

Cheers!
Lee

Posts: 133 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 24 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Ten feet is good.

Eleven feet is better.

Twelve feet is best.

Any higher than twelve and you're staring at chins and briskets.

These are eleven to the coffer and twelve to the ceiling.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will, you could open a Cabelas in there :-)

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

If we evicted the lawyer, it could be a fine gun room and book store. Like Kevin's.

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If we evicted the lawyer

That could be messy. I hear they leave a slime trail, like a slug :-)

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
quote:

If we evicted the lawyer, it could be a fine gun room and book store. Like Kevin's.

Would that be Kevin's in Thomasville? Just curious because I enjoy dropping by and browsing in their gun room upstairs over the store.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13105 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
If we evicted the lawyer

That could be messy. I hear they leave a slime trail, like a slug :-)

That's why I keep rugs on the floors.

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
quote:

Would that be Kevin's in Thomasville? Just curious because I enjoy dropping by and browsing in their gun room upstairs over the store.

Yes. One and the same.

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slither away! :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had my house built with an extra large living room knowing that with my limited funds it would have to double as a trophy room. It has a 12' ceiling and that is just high enough for my kudu's horns not to hit the ceiling and still have clearance for a 6' man not to get the top of his head into the long hairs hanging off the kudu's neck.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
Picture of holysmoke
posted Hide Post
I just did the entire first floor at 18 feet. No issues.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holysmoke:
I just did the entire first floor at 18 feet. No issues.

Tough to appreciate large trophies without lots of height. Got 18 feet here as well. Big old Grizz rug looks right at home with the elk. Wink

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'm 6'1"+ and this is a 9' ceiling. 10 feet would be a lot better.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My walls are 9 foot but my ceiling is 21 feet to inside peak. I have an octagon window just down from the ceiling.My mounts are staggered and they look nice that way. I had to move my kudu from center to put my 73 inch moose in the center. Kudu took a backseat and went on another wall.

Posts: 557 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote