THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TROPHY ROOM FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Trophy Room Pictures    Elgin Gates collection and trophy room

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elgin Gates collection and trophy room
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have tracked down the Elgin Gates collection. It did NOT get burnt. That evidently a fabrication of a mentally challenged mind. Gates home was sold to John Wayne, the actor. The Gates collection, was transferred to Brandise (sp) University, who donated it to the Omaha Nebraska zoological society, who being taken over at some point by Greenies, gave it to the U of Nebraska, and it is currently in Merrill Hall at the University in Lincoln Nebraska. A part of their collection showing African and other animals. It is NOT open to public viewing by arrangements can be made to see it.

I hope to be able to attach some pictures in a while.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, I have had the opportunity to obtain information on where Elgin's trophies are. I have 2 photos, one of his trophy room, when still in his house in California, and a write up, on his life, what leaves out his shotgun shooting a winning a number of National shotgun matches. Also his breaking a 1084 straight Clay birds in one shoot.

I am a troglodite when it comes to posting pictures and such, so if someone can give me a address to send them to, and will post them, I'll be glad to send them along.

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 672 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that. He lived during a fascinating time to be an international hunter. His books on African and Asian hunting are worth reading. One thing I never understood about Elgin Gates was why he chose to live in Needles, California. For those who’ve never passed through Needles, aka NeedLess, it’s the rectal orifice of the Mojave Desert.

Posts: 3835 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He didn't always live there. His store there, at first, but he also lived in So. California, and indeed sold his home there to John Wayne and was living in Idaho, when he died. But, I was throught Needles in the mid 60s, when hitch hiking around the country, and feel kind of the same way, about Needles.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tysue:
He didn't always live there. His store there, at first, but he also lived in So. California, and indeed sold his home there to John Wayne and was living in Idaho, when he died. But, I was throught Needles in the mid 60s, when hitch hiking around the country, and feel kind of the same way, about Needles.

I realize he also lived in other places, all of which are far nicer than Needless. I just can’t imagine why anyone of means would choose to live there when just about anyplace else is preferable.

Posts: 3835 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Understand where you coming from.

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Interesting. He had the adventures. Glad to hear the trophies are preserved.

I rented storage units to his wife, Dollie, and two of his sons here in Idaho.

Elgin F. "Butch" Gates gave me two of his father's books. Butch also died young at 61.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 859 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know I read that he excelled at motor boat racing... Maybe being on the Colorado River explains Needles?

Posts: 429 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
He was my Hero when I was a Kid & Dad bought the Guns & Ammo magazines with his stories in them.

He did some amazing things & was top notch at many sports but as I grew older & went to Africa & guided there, I feel now when I reread some of those stories, see the photos & where he was, some of those tales with Blacklaws may well be very Tall ones !

Posts: 459 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have his book and it took me three years to find it in England in a book store. I ordered it and paid for it in pounds. I treasure that receipt in pounds and it will never leave the book. The story of his two biggest elephants are fascinating indeed but the chapter on Buffalo Chicken that African PH’s play is really exceptional. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2344 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Why does it matter that it came from the UK?

I have bought books from all over the world. Mostly in person. Never thought to save a receipt.

Interesting Confused

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a copy of the Rowland Ward record book on African trophies years ago and noticed Gates had many record book animals. I just wanted to read his book and the three year quest for it ended in that book store in London. The receipt is now used as a book marker and I just wanted my grandsons and great grandson to appreciate where it came from. Just a silly notion on my part I guess but something for them to remember me from when I am gone. Good Shooting.

phurley

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
A brace of tigers, matched 100 pounders, a couple of Markhors.

Those were the days.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The talk of Elgin Gates book convinced me to reread it in particular the two chapters on his larger elephants. The first was an extended hunt in Kenya hunting with his PH JB Blacklaws. Using Blacklaws .470 Westley Richards double rifle he made a good shot on a gient elephant that had Tusks that weighted 140 pounds on one side and 141 on the other in an era when hundred pounders per side was exceptional. The second hunt was truly special on the banks of the Nile river near Lake Albert. Using his .300 Weatherby because it was a longer shot he managed to down a Monster Bull that had Ivory that weighed 176 pounds on one side and 181 pounds on the other. The recovery of the ivory took days because the elephant was partially in the river and had to be retreaved. The Tusks were 8ft 11 inchs long and 24 inchs around. The hunt was much more difficult than I have told here, reading it is quite an adventure in itself. This book is a great read all hunters particularly African hunters need to do. Every chapter of the book is another hunt. Good Shooting.

phurley

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally got back over here and see all the remarks and glad to see folks finally picked up on the picture and story about Elgin. He raced boats on the river, and had lots of trophies and his meeting with the boat motor company resulted in his getting the Distributor ship for the engine, for the whole area. Made him Rich, and he said when he got into his 30s decided the boat racing for younger quicker guys, so started hunting. You will notice he has multiple records on a number of animals as only wanted the Best. If got something in the book, but not as good as he wanted, would go back for better. l

one of us
posted Hide Post
Elgin Gates had several successful business ventures to be able to hunt the world over. If you ever bought a belt for your vehicle it was probably a Gates Belt manufactured by Gates Rubber Co that sold belts world wide for autos and commercial equipment and trucks of all uses. He had the arrangement to drop everything when J B Blacklaws his longtime PH found a special Trophy and called him if he could be there within days to hunt. Needless his book is a must read for all hunters. Good Shooting.

phurley

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is the first I heard of a connection to Gates Rubber. One of Bob Anderson's Great Rams volumes has a couple of chapters devoted to Gates.

Posts: 712 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
duxydog--What town Idaho?

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry. But Elgin had NO connection to the GATE tire and rubber company. It around a long time before he born. Not sure when (or if) he sold his outboard motor franchise, but it alone would have allowed him to hunt all the time. Frank Sinatra, got a franchise, for California for a beer brand and his family still has it and LIVE very well on the income from it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, Sinatra holds the Franchise for Budweiser for California. And now, has a Jack Daniels whiskey named for him.Family Feud Over Sinatra Fortune - CBS News

CBS News
https://www.cbsnews.com › news › family-feud-over-s...
May 18, 1998 — Sinatra inherits his real estate, including a Malibu beach house and a Beverly Hills estate, as well as a lucrative Budweiser beer ...

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Gates Rubber was founded and owned by Charles Gates of Denver. He also had Gates Lear jets and was behind the founding of Aspen ski area. Charles and Elgin were not related. I knew them both.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is an article on him in the current Sporting Classics at the end of the mag.

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NC, does the Sporting Classics say anything new or is it just rehash? I just went to Barnes & Noble but they did not have any copies.

Posts: 712 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who owns Gates Rubber company?
The company was founded by Charles Gates in 1911 and is headquartered in Denver, CO. In July 2014, the company was acquired by private equity firm Blackstone in a deal worth $5.4 billion.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
The Charlie Gates that I knew was the son of the founder. He died prior to the sale of the company.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elgin told me that he also made a "little" money in land development. I knew him for several years after he moved to Idaho & started up with Handgun Silhouette.
Him & I would make a trip every other month to Preston, Idaho & stay in the Plaza motel over the weekend & rent the newspaper office where we would print off the results from all over the country that had been sent to Elgin. We would do all the photo's, captions, layouts, etc. He would work 12-14 hours each day until we had it done, he was tireless!
I had a range in the field next to my house so Elgin was a frequent visitor, along with Dollie & sometimes Robert. Elgin always shot Auto Mags & he would wrap his left arm around both legs, drawn up tight with the gun very close to his face. I always thought the gun would hit him from recoil but it never did.
At night when we were in the motel room in Preston he would have 5-6 of those Auto Mags tore apart, working on them, they always needed attention. He was a great shot, one time tying a world record with a 39.
Dick