THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TROPHY ROOM FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Trophy Room Pictures    New trophy room and arrivals from Namibia!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New trophy room and arrivals from Namibia!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted
In July of '13 my darling bride (of sixteen years) accepted a job in Houston, Texas leaving my in England on my own until I could follow her at Christmas time. A few short weeks later my pal Andy joined me on safari in Namibia with Rex Brandt of Outjo. We hunted near Etosha and the vast Damaraland conservancy. I had only booked ten animals but due to the local Damara peoples upcoming celebrations they found themselves in need of more meat. As I was on hand, I got the honours. We ended up with twenty six! At at the end of our very successful safari I found myself with a slight case of Taxidermy Fever :-0

Meanwhile, Herself found us a perfect little cottage in the Heights area. My only requirement was a stonking huge garage for my tools and man cave. Well, let me tell you, this girl is a keeper. I arrived at my new home to find an enormous garage in back that would do the trick nicely. There are very few things that the good lady wife absolutely puts her foot down on. She humors me on so many things that I can't really complain at all. Number on her list is "No eyballs in the house - DT's (dead things) belong in the man cave." Oh darn, now I have to build up the man cave into a trophy room :-)

I started by dividing the garage in half. Then we raised the ceiling in the trophy room and added soffitts on the sidess for lights and HVAC. Once that was done we added a utility room off the side for washer and dryer as well as deep sink, toilet and shower. The good part is the trophy room is nestled between the utility room and the garage. That means you have to go through two doors on either side to enter it. As there are no windows, it is pretty secure.

It took 15 months for my package to arrive but it did at last. My 21 year old son and I jumped into my hunt truck, a 1989 Ford F-350 4x4 ex-Army ambulance, and drove to the bonded warehouse at Bush Intercontinental Airport to pick it up. When we got it home we back the truck up to the garage and set the box on the ground. I felt like a five year old at Christmas! In fact, it was my Christmas. We slowly and carefully unpacked the goodies from the box. Amidst mountains of shredded paper and bubbble wrap, the delicate trophies emerged. Once inspected and horns re-attached we took them into the man cave and started adorning the walls.

The room ended up exactly as I had planned. To say that I am pleased would be the understatement of the year. As I gaze up at the walls I am snapped back instantly to the moments of the hunt that meant so much to me. Even though it took seemingly forever for them to arrive, I think it was worth the wait. Anything worth having is worth waiting for.

The shipment contained:
Kudu shoulder mount.

Skull shields:
Oryx, Eland, Steenbok, and Springbok.

Warthog ivory shield.

Skins:
Zebra x2
Ostritch
Sprinkbox
Blue Wildebeest
Kudu
Jackal

Extra set of Kudu horns from a "Blue" Kudu in Damaraland.
Zebra bookends
Blue Wildebeest fly swisher
Baboon skull.

Most of the extra leather will go into making a set of Roorkhee chairs. I have the legs and dowels already made up. Now I have exotic leather to make the seats and backs!

And now for the pics. If I load them right, it should start with building the trophy room, unboxing the trophies and the finished room.
Enjoy!

The baboon skull was a gift from the taxidermist. My son thought it would be funny to have him smoke one of my pipes! As a final note, I am extremely pleased with the colour of the walls and they way they make the trophies stand out. I really, really dislike white walls. I think they make trophies look washed out.

I hope you have enjoyed my trophies as much as I am! I have left space on the walls for a skull shield from the joint horned infidel and maybe the right ear of Old Tembo. I better get busy planning the next safari!

Howdy from Houston,

Cole

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say that turned out well! Congratulations.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Damn that's nice
I like it

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of Andy W
posted Hide Post
Hope you can still remember which spent cases went with which trophy after so long a wait.

Having said that Belinda has done a fantastic job with the mount from what I can see from the photos and what she did with my 2 sets of horns.

Hope to see it in person as soon as we can get over there.

All the best for the New Year.

Andy (as mentioned above)

One of Us
Picture of fvh40
posted Hide Post
Looks very nice.

PH 47/2015 EC
HC 16/2015 EC
Ferdi Venter
ferdiventer@gmail.com
http://www.ferdiventerhunting.com

Nature at your doorstep

Posts: 305 | Location: SA Eastern Cape | Registered: 20 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted Hide Post
Very nice trophy, but what is especially nice you have room for many moooore trophies. Big Grin

Paul Gulbas

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like what you had done with the Zebra lower legs and hooves. I/we will travel to RSA this coming April. I plan to take a Hartman's Zebra, mountain Zebra, for our living room. Will talk to taxidermist about the hooves. MTG

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We need to see some completed photos. This thread has got me thinking about building a detached garage and converting half of it in the same way as the OP.

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of CAustin
posted Hide Post
I like your trophies. Looks like you are going to have a great trophy room.

Posts: 3 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 05 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking very good, I know you will enjoy many hours in there.. beer

Posts: 282 | Location: TALLAHASSEE,FL | Registered: 08 September 2013Reply With Quote