THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TROPHY ROOM FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Trophy Room Pictures    Animal shoulder mounts that don't do justice

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Animal shoulder mounts that don't do justice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
There are some animals that a shoulder mount just don't do justice:
Bongo
Bear
Cats
Musk Ox

What are some others?

Posts: 112 | Registered: 12 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your budget could stand the cost I would say a real good sheep. Dall, Big Horn to name a couple. Probably if the budget could stand to get one could afford the life size mount.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it's not the budget. I had a life size of a bongo I took. THEN got married. Mr. Bongo is no longer with us.
Nothing like a small horse sized mount in your house to get the new wife questioning your interior decorating.

Posts: 112 | Registered: 12 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 3Timer:
Sometimes it's not the budget. I had a life size of a bongo I took. THEN got married. Mr. Bongo is no longer with us.
Nothing like a small horse sized mount in your house to get the new wife questioning your interior decorating.

With 60+ mounts in my Trophy Room (including life size Musk Ox and Leopard mounts) and 9+ mounts in my living room (including life size Tahr and Aoudad mounts), I often wonder what the wives of my friends say to their husbands on the drive home from my house.

Years before I built my Trophy Room I shot a large billy Mountain Goat late in the season so he had his long winter coat. I didn't have room in my living room for a full mount, so I had him done in a half mount. My taxidermist so wanted to do a full mount of him that he offered to knock 50% off the full mount price.

I've kicked myself ever since for not having the full mount done.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem with life sized mounts is clutter...I can't wait to build my new vacation house in Colorado so I have more room. At some point a TR stuffed to the brim just doesn't do it for me.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
The problem with life sized mounts is clutter...I can't wait to build my new vacation house in Colorado so I have more room. At some point a TR stuffed to the brim just doesn't do it for me.

Where in Colorado are you building your vacation house?

Posts: 558 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 3Timer:
There are some animals that a shoulder mount just don't do justice:
Bongo
Bear
Cats
Musk Ox

What are some others?

For me this is a very easy question. It is a mountain goat!

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robncolorado:
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

Where in Colorado are you building your vacation house?

We have 50 acres of land bordering landlocked Natl forest between Villa Grove and Bonanza. In addition to hunting, I can do long range shooting as far as I want to shoot.

Ms AZW's sister lives in Durango; her hubby has a hugely successful internet marketing business.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Second with AZ Writer on the clutter issue. Any interior decorator will tell you that clutter is an eye soar. You need to have adequate space for the trophy.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that a shoulder mount of a bear, or any carnivore seems to be inadequate in capturing the essence of the animal.

I tend to like them as rugs with heads. Full body mounts seem a little over the top to me, but JMO.

I think shoulder mounts of wild sheep are spectacular, but goats might be better displayed as a half mount as minimum.

I wouldn't give a plug nickel for a shoulder mount of a moose or a bison, but again, a matter of taste, not judgement.

And ellie and giraffes shoulder mounts are just plain ridiculous looking IMO.

And the most ridiculous looking group of mounts I have ever seen personally, was a bunch of full body mounts of baboons sitting at primary school desks.

There must have been a dozen, and I would hate to think about how much they cost, but IMO, that was some weird thinking to spend that kind of money,

But to each their own.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Is this cluttered?

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, that is not cluttered - cluttered is when you trip over yourself avoiding mounts that are crammed into every square inch. For example, you could have put lifesize mounts around the sofa but did not. I wouldn't give a plugged nickel for a lifesize muskox - look at all the room he takes up! Agree with sheep: they don't need to be lifesized - maybe a Marco Polo. Cats for sure should be life sized.

Interesting comment about a moose shoulder mount; my biggest moose is a shoulder mount above the fireplace in my TR. The rest are skulls. I stopped at three shoulder mounts for elk (they are now Euros), but even then, if they ain't at least six on both sides, out to the garage they go.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffybr:
Is this cluttered?

Since you asked-YES!! The floor area is OK but the walls look like you tried to cover every square inch of space. Everyone’s taste is different but that looks like a mess to me. Of course, it’s your house and the only opinion that matters is yours.With my last move into a smaller trophy room, I gave away a full body warthog and steenbok plus shoulder mounts of kudu, gemsbok, nyala, blue wildebeest, bushbuck, buffalo skull. I simply didn’t want the room to look like it collapsing on me. And I havent brought a trophy back in 6-7 years. Buffalo, hippo, elephant, kudu, gemsbok, eland, and wildebeest were left to the outfitter/PH. But again, it’s YOUR house and the only opinion that matters is yours. Mine is just background noise. Congrats on a lot of fine trophies!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahh shucks just stand back and look at all those holes a couple more heads would fit in nicely.

Hell of a collection, bet you taxidermist loves you!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t call that cluttered, but I know my wife would.

Very lifelike looking dog mount on the sofa too.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Bison was always an animal I thought didn’t look great as a shoulder mount. Seen some great pedestal mounts of them, but it needs to extend the top so you can see their ridge line on their back.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this cluttered?

Yes, but in a way I would love to have! LOL

Looks fantastic.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Those pesky wives

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had two trophy rooms in my basement, and the wife was always commenting on how tight and cluttered they looked. I solved the problem by tearing out the dividing wall and doubling the size for a more open concept. By removing one kudu shoulder mount and simply rearranging them she now likes how much better it looks.

Someone explain women to me!!

https://i.imgur.com/KLQt8tS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/70k5Nsb.jpg

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:
quote:
Is this cluttered?

Yes, but in a way I would love to have! LOL

Looks fantastic.

BH63

I agree, it may seem like clutter to some! I think the collection was well done for the space available. However my only objection to that much taxidermy is the cost of shipping, and mounting that collection would have paid for about four more safaris.

Less shipping and taxidermy means more hunting, but that is not my business to tell others what to do with their trophies, and like others when I retired I gave several mounts to a friend who owned a gun shop because we down sized and I simply did not have room for some of the duplicates!
The OP's place looks very cleanly done, with nothing blocking floor space.

……………………………………………...Opinions are somewhat like A-holes, everybody has one!
……………………………………………………………………... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Have you ever seen a shoulder mount of a walrus? Looked like a giant pimple on the wall.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:
Have you ever seen a shoulder mount of a walrus? Looked like a giant pimple on the wall.

jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sable makes a spectacular full mount.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9548 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the crap we catch from wives about
what WE like. Makes me wonder why we
even bother getting married.

Hell of a lot cheaper to hire a street
whore if we want to get laid.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
All the crap we catch from wives about
what WE like. Makes me wonder why we
even bother getting married.

Hell of a lot cheaper to hire a street
whore if we want to get laid.

George

There are mounts and skulls kind of scattered all over my house. Every room is a trophy room. tu2

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote