New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast bullets in 243 Win
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have never used cast bullets. Is it possible to use cast bullets for the 243 Win. for inexpensive practising?

Posts: 45 | Location: Poland | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pawel...Sure it's possible and practical. A lot of people cast for the 243s. It's not quite as popular as the .30s and bigger stuff but you can make good practice ammo if you're willing to accept cast velocities and not go for the standard jacketed velocities.

Not loading cast in a .243, I'd say the max velocity you could use would be around 2400 FPS with very hard bullets. You may exceed that but after 2400 FPS in my .223, cast bullets start doing strange things and my groups start approaching the size of a volkswagon. At around 2200 FPS the accuracy is fine and it's a fun shooter.

I also shoot cast in a 257 Roberts and it's a good cast shooter so no reason your 243 shouldn't be also./beagle

Posts: 234 | Location: Lexington, Ky,USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pawel, I shoot cast bullets in a Ruger #1 rifle. In that rifle, I can shoot them up to 1,900fps before leading occurs, although accuracy is better at 1,750fps. I use Lyman #245496 (Loverin design)sized to .244" and seated to 2.52" OAL for the best accuracy; i.e., usually between 1" - 1.4" at 100yds. I don't know whether you can obtain the following powders in Poland, but IMR 4198, Vihtavouri N133, and Accurate Arms XMP 5744 work for me. 15.5gr. IMR 4198 is my usual charge for the 87gr. Lyman bullet. Hope this helps, ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
<duke>
posted
Hello Pawel. I have been loading and shooting cast bullets in the .243 Win for several years. The rifle is a Savage 110 light weight with a B&L 6 power scope. Some times this rifle will shoot MOA groups with cast bullets but not always. Average is about 1.25"@ 100 yds. Best bullet has been the RCBS 100 gr GC, which comes out of my mold about 98 grs using wheel-weights and 60-40 solder at about 20-1. Using 25 grs of IMR 4895, velocity is around 2000 fps. I have also tried the Lyman 85 gr Loverin type bullet, but so far it is not as accurate as the RCBS. I have not experienced leading with either bullet at these velocities. This has been a usefull plinking and small game load for me. I am going to try a low velocity load next, using Alliant Green Dot powder. This powder has proven to be very good for me in reduced loads in other calibers. I don't know what kinds of powders that you have available in Poland, but I have tried the V-V powders from Finland, and they are excellent, but expensive in my town.

Best regards from Nevada, USA, duke.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys. I will try tget everything needed to cast bullets. Can you also give me info on how to prepare cast bullets starting from casting till final loading?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pawel, Assuming you have a suitable alloy, e.g., wheel/tire weights with perhaps 1% tin added, the steps I follow are: Cast; separate the castings by cavity; inspect castings; size, add gas checks and lubricate; resize cartridges, flare case mouth slightly (to the depth of the gas check), reprime and charge with powder; seat bullet to the overall length your rifle will accept. But note that OAL may need to be adjusted according to the results you obtain. Also, different rifles do better with different cast bullet designs. E.g., Duke's rifle does well with a spire point, but mine doesn't like them at all. Coincidentally, we both get about the same level of accuracy from the .243Win in spite of using different rifles and CB types. ...Maven

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is it possible to lubricate and add gas check on a normal reloading press (I have a RCBS Rockchucer) or do I need a specific press for those actions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pawel, Yes you can if you use Lee press-mounted sizer dies (excellent quality). However, the Lee dies are offerred in .243" and you may require a .244" dia. (I do), but you can lap one out to .244" fairly easily. The much more costly route is to purchase either a Lyman or RCBS "lubrisizer," which does all, and you must purchase a sizing die as well. If you must, buy the RCBS because of its lifetime warranty, but use Lyman sizing dies in it. Both machines are of approximately equal quality. ...Maven