THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Do You Use As A Mould Release Agent??
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Anyone has any homemade recipes??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Candle smoke, other than that I use Frankford Arsenal "Drop Out".

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I use a butane lighter held close to the mold cavity. Cheap, fast and it works.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a good mold doesn't need a release agent.
some 20$ piece of junk might need some help but even those don't need a release agent.

if you can't get a bullet to drop from a mold it was cut wrong or it has a burr.
after a bit of use a mold builds up a patina [oxidization] that acts like a release agent all on it's own.
on a steel/mehanite mold the cavity's turn blue.
on brass molds they turn brown, and aluminum molds haze over.
generally 4-5 heat cycles on the aluminum and brass molds is necessary.

Posts: 4955 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
some 20$ piece of junk might need some help but even those don't need a release agent.

if you can't get a bullet to drop from a mold it was cut wrong or it has a burr.
after a bit of use a mold builds up a patina [oxidization] that acts like a release agent all on it's own.

What he said.

I have close to 50 molds, maybe more, and use mold release on none of them. I tried it when I was first casting and didn't like the residue it left.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't use any release agent on my steel nose pour mold.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your answers gentlemen.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:

this! although i pre heat the alum ones by placing em directly on the pot full of melted lead for a few minutes and generally the first ones drop ready to go.

Posts: 1529 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
only mold release agent i've ever used with my old lyman molds is a wooden hammer handle.... a couple of quick smacks on the hinge pin of the mold handles and the bullets fall right out...............

One of Us
Picture of res45
posted Hide Post
I have a couple molds that like to have a butane lighter run over the cavities on occasion other than that I don't smoke the molds or use any mold release.

Posts: 35 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 September 2007Reply With Quote