New
Find
Notify
Tools

Keith Style Bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just ordered a Lyman 429421 for my 10" contender. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with Keith style bullets. I understand they are supposed to be better for long range accuracy ~ 100 yards in my case. I've been using the Lee 240 grain GC bullet, but I've quit using gas checks because I didn't see where they were really helping things- in fact I suspected they were hurting accuracy by introducing variations. I figured I might as well go to a plain-base design, thus the 429421.
The Lee bullet makes bug-hole groups at 25 yards from my contender, but things open up at 50 and 100 yards. The contender is my coyote calling gun and I want good accuracy out to 100 yards.
My current load with the Lee bullet is 6.6 grains of Red Dot, topped with .7cc of granulated shot buffer, then the bullet w/o a gas check. I like this loading because it only drops 7" at 100 yards with a 50 yard zero, and it is easy on my ears when hunting with no hearing protection. With the shot buffer, I don't think I need a gas check. I will try this same loading with the Lyman as soon as I get it and get some casted.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the HP 429421 more than the regular one. HP's seem to be more accurate. You won't know if your T/C likes them until you shoot them. I size mine to .431. I mainly use Unique or 2400 for my loads. I shoot the same loads in my T/C 14", RBH and win 94. The Keith's are usually great shooters.

Posts: 210 | Location: Willamette Valley | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't know they made a HP 429421. I ordered a .431 sizer, since my barrel mics at .4305". I will be using Lyman super moly since that is whats in my sizer.
My 44 contender has been very picky about loads. It won't shoot Unique, 700x, or Blue Dot. Red Dot and IMR4227 work OK. This barrel has never had a jacketed bullet through it.

<Dan in Wa>
posted
I use more 2400 powder with cast bullets than any other. Have shot a few jacketed bullets thru my 29, have shot thousands of 429421 with perfect satisfaction.

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I have the 429421 and it shoots great in my 44 Bisley. I've only loaded it with WC820. The same load, around 1350fps, shoots well in my buddies SuperBlackhawk and 44 Puma.
lar

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Max,
many years ago Ideal/Lyman made just about any mould in HP on special order. If I can't find a certain mould that is HP'd I make my own. Generally speaking Beagle and I have found the HP bullets shoot better. Orygun

Posts: 210 | Location: Willamette Valley | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Orygun Mark,
I have always heard that hollow point bullets shoot better. I guess that is why all of the match bullets you see are h.p. I think it has something to do with keeping the center of balnce near the rear of the bullet. Something about rotational stability. A defect in the bullet away from the center of balance would cause a pendulum effect on the bullet after it leaves the barrel, causing it to yaw slightly after leaving the barrel- thus innacuracy. Kind of reminds me of an egg spinning on a table. Not a technical guru here but that's the best I know how to 'splain it.

Beau

Posts: 41 | Location: Kingsport, TN | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote