New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hollow Point Mold
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for a hollow point SWC mold for a 32 HR mag. 90 to 100 grn. with ww aloy. I have been hollow pointing them with a forster hp adapter and I'm just plain lazy.
Does anyone know of a custom mold maker where I might get one?
Thanks W.B.

Posts: 25 | Location: WV | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
My experience with casting hollow points has been that it's a slow tedious process with lots of rejects.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wooly....Grab a 311008 off E-Bay and have some machinist hollow point it for you. I used a .100" cavity pin in mine and it makes great bullets for the .30 Carbine Ruger I have.

Casting HPs is no different than other bullets...just a couple of extra movements of the hands and long as you keep the mould and pin hot, you'll get good bullets.

Any of you guys out there want to unload those HP moulds that you don't like to cast with, post for me and we'll make a trade or deal of some kind. I likes em./beagle

Posts: 234 | Location: Lexington, Ky,USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beagle
I have a RCBS 100 gr. SWC mold now that I use. Could it be used for a hp with a pin if I can get one made? I have never seen a hollow point mold work. Thanks. W.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beagle:

you say;

Grab a 311008 off E-Bay and have some machinist hollow point it for you..

me;

Now, there's a good idea!

you;

Any of you guys out there want to unload those HP moulds that you don't like to cast with, post for me and we'll make a trade or deal of some kind. I likes em..

me;

I have some several HP molds. I've used them for hunting mostly but somehow they've always been among the most accurate molds I have for the repective calibers!

..Something related to stability perhaps?

The only thing that has prevented me from using them for general practice or record shooting is their relative slowness of production.

Good evening,
Forrest

Posts: 246 | Location: Northern Wyoming | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wolly...That will work also. You'll lose maybe 10 grains of weight but you should be able to push a 90 grainer pretty fast.

Reason I said a 311008 as nost run about .312-313 when cast.

A HP is nothing more than a center pin right through the mould split. Has a retaining screw on the bottom to hold the pin flush. After casting, you turn the knob holding the center pin 1/4 turn to break it free of the bullet and move the E-clip ot of engagement with the stop screw and withdraw the pin. Knock open the mould and you have a consistent HP.

Long as you keep the mould and pin hot, they cast good./beagle

Posts: 234 | Location: Lexington, Ky,USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest...Orygun Mark and myself have been playing with the HPs for years now.

I think it throws the CG farther back and makes the bullet more aerodynamic.

Right now, I think I have all of Lyman's 45/70 offerings for the last 40 years hollowpointed but two and I'm working on them....ven the 457125

The RCBS 45-405-FN is a jewel hollowpointed. Made a plug for that one so I can go back to solids at will./beagle

one of us
posted Hide Post
My limited experience with the removable pin type mould has been with hollow BASE moulds. Even with their far greater mass and heat retention, they work a lot better with a simple gizzie that holds them over a low flame from a propane torch while you are cutting the sprue, dropping the bullet, closing the mould, and returning the sprue plate.

The hollow point boys would know better than I, but from the emphasis on keeping the pin hot, I would suspect that some such arrangment would be even more inportant to a .10 diameter pin that would cool quite rapidly.

At the risk of heresy, I will add that when I want a hollow point mould, I buy a Lee if they make one. They are FAR easier to use than the pin type.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leftover....Surprisingly, even the .100" pin retains heat pretty well. I guess it doesn't retain it but picks it up again when you insert the small pin back in hot mould blocks for the next bullet.

Even small pins down in the .070-078" class work well as I use some of them on .25s and a couple of a pair of Saeco .30 moulds.

Speaking HB moulds, I'm still looking for a 358431. Don't happen to have one laying around gathering dust do you?/beagle

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope, Beagle.

I checked and the mould I thought might be the right one turned out to be a .41.

Sure found a lot of neat stuff I had forgotten I owned, though.

Thanks.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. fellers. I've been out of town for a while and hadn't been on the board.
Thanks. W.B.