New
Find
Notify
Tools

alloy recomendations?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i am just starting to cast for 9mm parabellum. i don't need hyper velocity, more interested in accuracy and not leading the barrel. i have lots of lead available, and also have ordered 10lbs of antimony and can get tin too. Anyone care to suggest a suitable alloy?

Posts: 60 | Location: Spain | Registered: 20 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try an alloy mix which is 94% lead, 2% tin and 4% antimony. I believe that you will find this suitable for your use.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wheelweights or any harder alloy ought to work fine. The 94/2/4 previously suggested will do very nicely.

The leading I have seen in 9mm was more likely to come from a bullet that was too small rather than one that was too soft. You could slug the bore to check, but I size my 9mms .357 as long as the chamber and cases will let me.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto to all that DJ said.....and, most 9mm's have ridiculously fast twist rates. Hard alloy and soft lubes on bullets that match groove diameter arre the ticket.

Deputy Al

Posts: 299 | Location: Yucaipa CA | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote