New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting Beartooth cast bullets in 416 Rem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What's the catch/pitfalls in practice-shooting the cheaper (than jacketed) gas-checked/lubed cast bullets at rifle velocities (2100-2400fps) thru my 416 Rem?

I'm thinking of pushing the 335gr at 2400 fps; and the 375gr. at 2250fps.

Any possible problems? Lead-fouling? Any special preparations or post shooting rituals (cleaning)?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Art

Posts: 54 | Location: Ca, USA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
art - I will be doing the same with my 416 when I obtain some cast bullets - currently I shoot my 450 ackley on a regular basis with cast performance 460 grain flat nose gas checked bullets, loaded with 85 grains of ww 748 for a velocity of 2250fps with no leading in the barrel. I do make sure the barrel is clean with a oiled patch preceeding the cast bullet shooting session. Very good accuracy on a routine basis.
Immediately after shooting, I plug the chamber with a cotton patch and fill the (still warm) bore with wipe out; when I get home from the range (20 minutes at most), I proceed with normal cleaning and have no problems obtaining a clean bore in short order. KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote