The Accurate Reloading Forums
Lee molds for thutty thutty

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1811043/m/942109541

28 July 2004, 07:22
Paul H
Lee molds for thutty thutty
Lately the thought of getting a lever gun have been pestering me. I have about 400 once fired 30-30 cases I got in a trade that have sadly not been put to use. Used 30-30's aren't too hard to find up here, and don't go for very much, since they are considered a bit week for most game up here. For the islands that have blacktail deer, and no bears, I think a mdl 94 would be ideal.

Since this is to be a low budget affair, lee molds are the order of the day. I'm looking at the 170-F and 200-R molds, and wanted to get some feedback on accuracy and game performance.
28 July 2004, 08:49
Junior1942
The Lee 170-FP works great in M94 30-30. This 5 shot, 100 yard group was with peep sights. 25 grs Varget gives the same results. Alloy was straight wheelweights. Velocity was ~1750. Use a little more H4895 or Varget for ~1850 for hunting.

28 July 2004, 09:04
Paul H
Junior,

Thanks, looks like I need to start keeping my eyes out for a thutty thutty

I think it will be a great rifle to start the kids out with as well.
28 July 2004, 09:29
Paul B
The Lee 200R is a bit too long for the 30-30, IMHO. You'd have to seat it so the gas chesk is below the neck, a situtation I don't care for. I once had that happen with a 6.5 Mannlicher carbine. The primer pocket was big enougn to park a limo inside it. Could have been a double charge as a double charge would have overflowed the case. Lee molds make some very nice bullets, but I feel they need a lot more TLC than regular iron molds. But then, I feel that way about all aluminum molds.
Paul B.
29 July 2004, 01:53
The_Shrink
I would add that if you have a choice, forget the '94 and get a Marlin. Even if it's micro-grooved the guys here will tell you how to get it shooting with cast bullets, and it's safer when you think of gas exiting the primer pocket! From what I've read you will need to get a cast or a plug of the bore of a micro-grooved barrel to measure and get a bullet that will fit. Then it will shoot fine.
29 July 2004, 05:15
floodgate
Actually, in my (fortunately, limited) experience, the '94 handlres loose gas a bit better than the Marlin, where it runs back through the bolt tunnel towards the shooter's face. floodgate
29 July 2004, 16:52
jh45gun
For shooting cast I would take a 94 with its traditional rifleing over the Marlin Nothing wrong with the Marlin but they can be fussy with cast from what I have heard then I have heard they work ok but I have never heard any complaints about cast bullets they go together like peanut butter and jelly! Also he said money was a consideration you can get a post 94 for a lot cheaper than a used marlin as the marlins seem to be pricier but then they are new also so that is the difference. Nothing wrong with the post 94's they work and shoot great! I bought a 94 used that was made in 64 so it is one of the first ones and its works great~! Nice Group Junior!