Find
Notify
Tools

Linotype price
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted
So my employer just purchased an older property that I have happened to find several treasures on. Old guy was likely a hoarder of sorts, but he liked cool stuff. I came across a hundred or so, maybe more cast ingots (5.75#) with EWB on the bottom of the mold, and LINOTYPE stamped in the back. What is the going rate for linotype these days. I know it is not near as plentiful as it used to be. Thanks

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 603 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it really is type metal it is like gold! Not quite, actually, but Roto gets about 4$/lb for the stuff. Transportation is expensive so you will have to find some serious local casters. I am down to about my last 50# and will be sad once it is gone.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Postal flat rate boxes make shipping a little better.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That's true;the girls at the post office scowl at me as you can ship over 50 lbs. in the flat rate box. I have enough to last me to my end + have'nt needed to buy any in ages so have no idea what current prices are;but just like land,they are not making anymore of it anymore.Saying,if you think it's a fair price,buy all you can.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
f you have in excess what you want to sell,let me know.NO'it is not more presious than gold but it is desired by casters.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have in excess of 100lb. I bought this batch for a friend but has not got back with me.I don't need any more.It will cost $250.00 to ship the linotype.Turn key.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No good deed goes unpunished.Still waiting to hear if my "buddy" is going to take possession of the linotype + pay me back for placing the order.Its O.K.I try to never worry about what I can not change.