New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making a 'DD' modification to a mold
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
JDL was I confronted by the same problem way back in 90-91 with a small nosed Lee 170 30 cal. FWIW this is how I solved that one.

In '90 I was shooten two 30/30's of varing land heights and I usually used hard bullets. That BTW hasn't chg-ed, ie- the hard bullets. Anyways, I came on the idea of cutting a band as far forward as possible-- a short pad exceeding normal bore ride dia to accomodate the short lands of the second rifle. I used a crude method-- a nail head turned to just over 303 ish, a short section of bullet cut to fill the mold nose for a stop/retainer, and tape wrapped to the nail shank for fill the lube groove dia for centering. I said it was crude... Anyways, I proceeded slowly and did finally get my recut bore ride driver. Now I had pre-shot alignment in the bore-- positively..And she shot well in both guns. That forward bore ride driver sat snugly on the lands in the tighter bore and rode the lands nicely in the looser one. Cast shooten is all about pre-shot alignment. That's what accuracy comes from in any gun-- more so with the weaker cast bullet. And the 'DD' made sure of that.

If I was going to attempt this modification today I think I'd try a different tac. I think I'd take a cast bullet and drill a hole into the section of rider where I wanted the modification. In this I'd place a drill bit section or similar which fit the hole snugly.. Thing is-- you'd have to measure this height carefully, making in essense only a pimple of sorts for a cutting/wearing surface. Then this form is turned in the mold, probably by hand would be best-- fashioning the screw in bullet base trick for lapping with a handle of sorts attached to the drywall screw. With care I think a decent 'DD' modification could be pulled off. Why not lap the whole bore ride area? Lots of work and in this fashion the 'DD' can be slightly large for one and fit the wider land guns. That band should be .025 to .035 thou or so wide-- engaging a wide range of guns in the caliber and still allowing removal of the unfired rd with the bullet staying with the case.

I sent this 'DD' idea to a fella named Melander-- and subsequently took over 5 yrs off from shooten. Something due to a new freedom and all the fillies around these parts. I return to cast and find the concept employed in his line of molds. He even kept my monicker-- 'DD'.

'DD' means directed driver.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aladin,

You should've patented the idea!

Good afternoon,
Forrest

Posts: 246 | Location: Northern Wyoming | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FAsmus:
Aladin,

You should've patented the idea!

Good afternoon,
Forrest

Who'd have paid anything for it?? Ask John Ardito about that...

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jay..I've had pretty good luck in increasing the nose diameter by taping only the nose portion of the mould with aluminum tape.

A DD band is a good idea but I just don't like the idea if modifying a mould unless I have to./beagle

Posts: 234 | Location: Lexington, Ky,USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Taping definitely works John. Thing about a 'DD' is only a small portion of the rider contacts and makes extraction easier if that's needed. And alignment is sure in varying bore dia's.