New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making something from nothing.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Not quite nothing, and if it's been done before someone can let me know, O.K.
So in my misguided and feverish attempts to seat gas-checks onto non-gas-check projectiles I've discovered a very simple solution. Forget about cutting a heel on a lathe or winding up with bits of copper and lead shavings all through your sizing dies.
The BIG PROBLEM is correct alignment of the bullet base in the GC. It's got to be absolutely square, and Lee sizing dies, normal sizing dies and GC seaters don't work, at least for me. I'm trying to gas check .452 SWCs. I notice that the bullet fits snugly but easily into a .44 mag cartridge dimension checker (those ones from Midway), and the checker has a RIM cut into the base!!! The rim holds the .45 GC square and the body holds the projectile square. So, bullet in nose first, GC into the little rim, turn it upside down carefully and tap the bullet nose with a suitable bolt or rod or whatever and a plastic mallet. Hit it hard enough to really get that GC on. Inspect the work of art, apply a little liquid lube to decrease friction then run the projectile bum-end first through a Lee sizer die, to crimp the GC on and resize the bullet in case you got a bit heavy handed in the hammering phase. A small amount of lead shavings from the base are expected. A bonus is that the Lee die is easy to clean compared to a regular lube die. Now Tumble Lube or relube how you wish. Once I got going the whole operation ran smoothly enough. Gas checks stayed remained on recovered bullets, accuracy hasn't suffered and leading reduced.
Now, how to make a reliable lead hardness tester from a hand staple gun.....?
I hope this post helps someone.
Regards Cheeky

[ 01-05-2003, 10:43: Message edited by: Cheeky ]

Posts: 40 | Location: Pacific North West U.S.A. | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That should read SOMETHING of course. I went over the message but not the topic. Pretty embarrassing or what!?

Posts: 40 | Location: Pacific North West U.S.A. | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As long as the bullet is in a case neck, or a straight case, just flair the case, insert the gas check upside down, and seat the bullet. Works fine.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote