Find
Notify
Tools

New to the 44-40
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted
So, using it in the '92 Winchester, I find that a lot of the moulds throw bullets that have to be seated in the basement to feed. I guess most are for the 44 mag.
What's your favorite for the 44WCF? Probably with hard bullets (wheelweights)

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John, I use the Saeco #446 a 200gr pbrnfp in my Uberty 1866
copy. It too is a little long and must be seated to crimp over the front driver to feed. IF you want to try some I will be glad to send ya some.
You might look at Saeco # 444, a true 44-40 bullet as is Lyman #427666 but they both cast at .428� which is a little small for todays guns, my 1866 requires a .430� to shoot good.

Posts: 43 | Location: Okla. | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much, I have three 44mag moulds, two Lymans that are variations of the Kieth design, and a Lee Tumble Lube. The 240gr Kieth designs have to be seated way too deep, and the case mouth ends up with a lip on it that hangs up going into the chamber if I work the action a bit slow. I have not tried the tumble lube job yet, It may work, but I suspect it will also be a bit square mouthed.
My barrel is a modern '94 barrel on my '92, so yes, sizing to .430 is best for accuracy for me, at least so far.
Bore slugged .429

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
My favorite for the .44-40 is the lyman 42798 now sold as the 427098. It is nominally a 205 grain flatpoint but mine cast at 225 grains. I use it in my S&W N frame .44-40 or my Marlin 94 in 44 mag. It feeds slick as snot in a levergun.

My favorite for the Marlin is a Lee 240 roundnose. It feeds great, fills the .430" bore better, and shoots tiny little groups. Doesn't displace much powder capacity.

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago I had Redman reline my 73 Winchester, which had a bore like the surface of the moon. His ads claim .428" groove diameter, but the one I got slugs .431". That wouldn't be a problem, as my Lee mold drops them a hair over that. My problem is the chamber. It isn't big enough to accept a round loaded with a bullet that size. I experimented a little, and got fair accuracy by sizing .430" and loading a relatively slow powder - 4227. It was very disappointing, though. I have heard that using shotgun buffer will help an undersized bullet. I will report results...if I ever get off my duff and test it.

Posts: 40 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bump
I don't understand why this page is so F'n short. It's supposed to be showing posts active within the last three weeks, but is really only showing about ten on my screen.

Anyway

Thanks for all the info, I'm watching Ebay and the gun shows for prospects.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I fixed it!
Anyone having the same problem can go to their "My Home" and adjust "display prefferances" to show 20 threads. This is the supposed default, but mine was set to 10.

posted Hide Post
I have been shooting 44-40 for some time. Now I want to down size the bullet weight to a 165gr bullet. Any of you fellows know of a mold that will cast a .430 in a 44-40 with a weight of 165gr. Id like a 4 or 6 cavity mold if at all possible.
I lucked out and my pistols as well as my 73 all slugged at .429.
Peter

one of us
posted Hide Post
This thread didn't really get a lot of responses, but the help is apreciated.
I finally came to the conclusion, that the .430 bullets just didn't feed well enough. I've gone to sizing to .427. I now even size Hornady Jacketted bullets to .427. They actually end up at .4275 after they grow back a bit.
I used a Winchester bulk .427 to take a whitetail doe last fall, at less than 50 yards, with the bullet just steaming along, at 950 fps.
The sized .427 Hornady, shoots best in my rifle. I'm still trying to get a load above 950fps that will shoot accurately though.

The only problem with being Canadian, is the presence of Liberals
Canadian Liberal Government= Elected Dictatorship!