New
Find
Notify
Tools

45-70 velocity
 Login/Join

Picture of Bluegroper
posted
Just got my hands on a few hundred 350grn cast bullets for my 45-70 and am wondering how fast I can push them, they are coated and not gas checked.
Chris.

Posts: 22 | Location: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: 06 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris,

More information may get you a better answer.

Soft bullets will generally work OK to 1300 - 1400 FPS. Harder ones something like 1600 FPS really hard ones up to 2000 FPS. BUT, barrel diameter i.e. groove to groove and condition. Bullet diameter and lube type all have a bearing on how fast and how well a cast bullet will shoot. Obviously you can't expect to get 458 Win Mag velocities in a black powder era rifle, so the make and model of rifle also have a bearing on what velocity you can expect.

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Coating is much like pp and acts like a jacket.
In other words go as fast as you like.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah...well, how long is a piece of string???...not to whizz on your boot.

ALL the reloading manuals and all over the net, is information on the three levels of pressure for the various types of rifles, so begin there.

The coating just keeps the leading down and doesn't really effect velocity except to a small degree notwithstanding all the bullschat scattered all over the web.

Basically...you have to figure out, for YOURSELF, just how big your cojones are and how close to extermination you want to get. shocker

I have 5 rifle using the 45-70 to 45-120, 458 American and 450 Marlin cases ALL having almost identical case capacities(in the 45-70 sizes)and a couple that can shoot all three cases with varying levels of accuracy...

I have loads for 300-720 gr bullets for each, JACKETED, CAST AND MOLYCOATED, and the loads were developed for EACH INDIVIDUAL RIFLE...I DON'T MIX AND MATCH due to a number of factors.

These are single shot, lever action and bolt rifles.

Pick a manual or authoritative online source FOR YOUR RIFLE TYPE AND BULLET WEIGHT...

START LOW AND WORK UP SLOW until you get near the pressure limit load...then stop.

I'm guessing that unless you are gorilla size the recoil will get to you before you hit the limits...or not...my 8 lb 458 American Marlin 336 and Browning 450 M with 350 gr Horn RN's is up in the 45 ftlbs recoil range and my 11 lb 45-120 NEF Buffalo classic WITH 720 gr slugs hit 125 ftlbs...so pick your poison.

Do a search on AR for 45-70...you will get a ton of hits covering this popular subject.

I'm pretty recoil insensitive but some of the 700 plus gr loads for the larger cases are not fun to shoot and a hot loaded 350 gr slug in a 45-120 is definitely no fun either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger #1 in 45/70 while I shoot mostly cast bullets One week I worked up some handloads using the RP 300 grain jacketed hollow point. At 1800 feet per second while the recoil was there it was not really that bad when I got to 2000 feet per second recoil was definitely noticeable. Inching up to 2200 feet per second it seemed that the Ruger became a wild beast. Muzzle rise was very noticeable and recoil was getting into the realm of pain and was not fun to shoot. My opinion is that the 45/70 will almost but not quite get 458 win mag levels.But in a light weight single shot like my Ruger definitely would not be pleasant to shoot. So ending that little project and resumed shooting case bullets. Regards,Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
What are you hunting with it ? My 1885 Browning will match a Ruger #1. Hardly any recoil with 300 JHP factory @ 1850.Faster with heavier bullets pushes on both ends ! All the way up to very unpleasant !! Wonderful cartridge and they used to shoot 1000 yd matches with those "rainbow' BP loads ! No deer have complained !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bluegroper, unless you know the makeup of the casting, I'd probably try to keep them below 1,500 or 1,600 fps. Depending upon the powder you plan to use and the rifle you are reloading for (Trapdoor, Modern Lever Action or Ruger #1) that may even be too strong.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen no need to go over 1600fps in any of my 45/70s. Many deer and several hogs are evidence.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No longer hunt, my diabetic neuropathy pain in the joints, and feet have seen to that. I have a box of the Remington bulk 300 grain JHP's and loaded up about 60 cases with rem brass, winlp and the rem bullets. Think I still have a few loaded rounds but they will be pulled as I do not want them in my Pedersoli 1874 infantry rifle in 45/70. The #1 will be getting fed some 400 grain cast bullets and the sharps which has a 1x18 twist most likely get some 500 grain gas checked bullets. Mostly shoot off the bench. Frank