Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45 Colt mold
 Login/Join

posted
I have been buying commerical bullets for my .45 Colts for the last 20 years and now want to start casting my own. I like bullets between 250 and 260 but I'm open for suggestions. What mold should I look for and where should I look? I like a big flat nose and some thing that not is going to lead alot. I now take commerical bullets and soak them in gasoline to remove the plastic blue lube and then relube them to shoot. I shoot Rugers and Smiths in .45 Colt. A multi-cavity mold 4 to 6 would be my choice. Thankd in advance for any help. Regards Rich.

Posts: 7 | Location: bksf.ca. | Registered: 02 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at Lee's site? they have some .45 molds in your weight range and their 6 cavity molds are under $50.

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
I use a Lyman cowboy 250gn mould. This bullet also feeds flawlessly through the Marlin Cowboy.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
some of my favorites are the 452424 lyman the 255swc rcbs and the 265 lbtswc every gun has a different prefernce though.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LEE's 45-255-RF bullet in their 6-cavity mold would suit your needs very well. It is a very accurate bullet that feeds easily in all the various rifles and handguns that I have tried it in.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would get a Ballisti-Cast mold. I have a couple and the bullets drop out of them real easy.
http://www.ballisti-cast.com/Bullet%20Designs.htm

Posts: 184 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Lee's molds are cheaper at Midway.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The Lee mold has a very wide flat nose. I use their 300gr for my .45colt.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You did not say what revolvers you are using. Colts can't take the pressure that Rugers can.
For a good heavy boolit for big game, use the Lee C452 300 RF or the Lyman 452651 325 gr. Another good one is the LBT 335 gr. WLNGC if you can buy a mould. I think Veral is making them again. These are extremely accurate and no animal will be standing long after hit with either one.
I use 21.5 grs. of 296 with all of these in my RUGERS.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Lyman 454424 that outshoots the lee 255 fp 1 3/4" to 3" @ 25 yds. I would size the throats of the cylinder and buy a custom mold from Mountain moulds to fit. Gianni.

Posts: 65 | Location: Western MT | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
I currently load and shoot over a dozen .45 Colt revolvers. They are Cimarron, Colt, S&W, and Ruger.

Bullets should be fitted to the individual revolver's chamber mouths (as previously noted).

If the chamber mouths are off-size or uneven, accuracy will suffer. Take the time to have yours measured and all corrected to be the same and of an appropriate diameter. Rugers run very small--too small. My older Cimarron runs 0.458" and I have a custom mold for it.

Size your bullets the least amount possible. Well, you gotta lube and short of Lee Tumble Lube, you gotta run them through a lubrisizer to do that or pan lube. Sizing destroys accuracy. Even if you have to buy some custom moulds from somebody like NEI or Hoch, cast your bullets as near to the size you need as possible.

At normal .45 Colt velocities, better bullet fit will keep you from leading better than hard bullets. The .45 Colt can shoot bullets as soft as 1:20 Tin:Lead at normal velocities. Harden up your bullets for higher velocities and for better game penetration at those velocities.

The single all-around best powder for normal velocity and pressure loads with cast bullets is Unique. It shoots in darn near everything. It is a little dirty, but so what. Other powders are fine and I shoot several others, including H110/296 in hot Ruger loads. Blue Dot is fine, but meters funny in a powder measure, so I don't use it. Universal Clays works fine. 4227 is OK, too.

Bullet style is not such a big deal as far as shooting is concerned. The old original bullet shoots as accurately as anything. Even the old black powder bullet with the hollow base shoots well, if it is the right size. Semi-wadcutters can get you good accuracy, goot game performance, and good target hole-cutting for scoring a target. Your round nose designs will feed better in a lever gun, if you shoot both. You will need to lube with Alox/Beeswax if you shoot a rifle with the loads. Alox/Beeswax typically improves lubrication and accuracy in a rifle. It should be used sparingly in a revolver because it can over-lubricate and cost you accuracy in a revolver. It stinks, too, and is best used outdoors. I like it in the right application. I use special black powder lube for my black powder loads.

Black powder loads are a rip. Lots of boom, lots of stink, goo, gum, etc., lots of fun. Black powder typically shoots well and can be loaded quite hot at standard velocities.

I really enjoy that caliber, even though it is not the only one that I shoot. Have fun, be safe.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote