Find
Notify
Tools

Need Help
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted
I have a single shot .32 H&R mag rifle that was built with a 1 in 10 twist .308 barrel. While I get good accuracy it is not as good as feel the gun is capable of. I have two theories as to why:

First, the twist rate. Is it too fast for the relatively short 100-115 grainers I shoot?

Second, I shoot cast bullets sized to .313 diameter. Am I asking too much in the .308 bore? I'v been meaning to try some sized to .309 but haven't been able to locate any flat nosed bullets at 115 grains.

These rifles should be sub MOA and I'm getting 1.5 to 2 MOA. The good news is that it shoots ALL loads in that range.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
<marrfam>
posted
Use .309 sized bullets and it will work. allso try some heavier ones. I carry a 115gr round nose that works out of my 30br with a one in 10 twist.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I shot some Lee 115 gr out of my wifes .308, and they were suprisingly accurate. I need to do some more load work with them, as they show some promise.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Z1R, if they still make them, run some of the swaged Hornady SWCs in .32 through a sizing die. The Lee is about the best for such a drastic reduction.

Also 130s for the M-1 carbine are the right diameter and only a little heavier than you want.

If you can stand a jacketed bullet, the Speer 3/4 jacketed 110 grain .308s ought work like a champ.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Z1R, tell us about the rifle. Is it a commercial job? Where could I buy one?

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
leftoverdj,

The rifle is a EAB falling block. Check the single shot rifle section someone posted a pic a while back or check the website EABCO.COM.

It sports a 22 inch tube with a muzzle diameter of .850" Great little rifle. My only complaint and, it's my fault, is that these are built as target rifles and it was my first custom so I didn't know better and should have asked for a heavier trigger pull. I had this built as a small game rifle and the trigger is just a little too light. It shoot great though.

I had it made as a companion to my single six. I've been trying to develop loads that will work well in either gun. However, I think to truly realize the potential of this rifle I need to develop rifle only loads. The upside of such loads is .30 carbine equivalent performance.

I'll try some .309 bullets. I'm not opposed to bullets as heavy as 130 grains but I think the 115 flat noses will be much better on game.

As an aside I will be trying this rifle on my first silhouette match this Sunday.

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
I have a single shot .32 H&R mag rifle that was built with a 1 in 10 twist .308 barrel. While I get good accuracy it is not as good as feel the gun is capable of. I have two theories as to why:

First, the twist rate. Is it too fast for the relatively short 100-115 grainers I shoot?

Second, I shoot cast bullets sized to .313 diameter. Am I asking too much in the .308 bore? I'v been meaning to try some sized to .309 but haven't been able to locate any flat nosed bullets at 115 grains.

These rifles should be sub MOA and I'm getting 1.5 to 2 MOA. The good news is that it shoots ALL loads in that range.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Knowing the length and dia of the gun's throat along with the actual groove dia is a good place to start....

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The groove dia is .308" the lands are .300". I'm perfectly willing to try the .309 cal bullets but I have not been able to locate a source of flat nosed .32-20 style bullets in the 115-130 grain range. That's why I stuck with the .312" - 313" for so long.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
z1r--

1-10" twist is about twice as fast as the short little 32 caliber bullets need for stabilization--jacketed or lead. The recipe for success in fast twist/short bullet situations (like 9mm and 40 S&W) is HARD alloy--SOFT lube (lots of it)--and sizing to throat diameter. My SIG-Sauer P-228 x 9mm did not do well with cast bullets until I changed to a Lyman #358242 (121 grain RN) sized to .357" with both grooves filled with Lyman Ideal. I can run these to nearly 1200 FPS with fine accuracy and zero leading.

You might try some of the cast offerings suited to the 7.62 x 39 caliber. They won't work in the Single Six, but might maximize that rifle's performance.

I load the 32 Magnum for a S&W M16-4 x 6".......great caliber.

Deputy Al

Posts: 299 | Location: Yucaipa CA | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Hutt>
posted
You can get a Lee Lube & Sizing Kit for $11.49 from Midway. The order number for the .309 sizer is 501-819. It threads into your press, has a bullet punch that fits your ram and includes a 4OZ. bottle of Liquid Alox. I use one to size 32-20's for my leveraction and my Blackhawk. Simple yet it works.

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/501819

[ 12-22-2002, 06:09: Message edited by: Hutt ]