Find
Notify
Tools

Aladin/500AS
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Aladin:
Just back from the range,did as you told me loaded the 550 gr grease groove with 100 gr of IMR 7828 topped of with 6.5 gr Bf.
Bullet W.W hardened,opensights @100 y 5 shots 2"
Vel 1900 ft/s, not a trace of lead in the barrel.
It is hard to shoot more acc since the gun kicks like a mule.

On a side note, some thing Kev was asking in a other post.

Same bullet cast out of pure lead sized down to bore diam patched to .511" a drop of Neatsfoot oil on the patch and the edge of the paper a drop of Lee Alox ( this to renforce the patch so it will feed in the magazine) same load data.
5 Shots @ 100Y 1 3/4" no lead in barrel Vel 1940ft/s.

This was shot with a brake,I think to go to 2100 or higher one better have a rifle in the 15 pnd range.

I am amazed at the diff the slow powder makes in leading of the bore.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Regards Martin

Posts: 327 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Martin@Hin:
Aladin:
Just back from the range,did as you told me loaded the 550 gr grease groove with 100 gr of IMR 7828 topped of with 6.5 gr Bf.
Bullet W.W hardened,opensights @100 y 5 shots 2"
Vel 1900 ft/s, not a trace of lead in the barrel.
It is hard to shoot more acc since the gun kicks like a mule.

On a side note, some thing Kev was asking in a other post.

Same bullet cast out of pure lead sized down to bore diam patched to .511" a drop of Neatsfoot oil on the patch and the edge of the paper a drop of Lee Alox ( this to renforce the patch so it will feed in the magazine) same load data.
5 Shots @ 100Y 1 3/4" no lead in barrel Vel 1940ft/s.

This was shot with a brake,I think to go to 2100 or higher one better have a rifle in the 15 pnd range.

I am amazed at the diff the slow powder makes in leading of the bore.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Regards Martin

Good to hear it Martin. Watch the effect of Bf on that brake closely.. I've never tried it in one.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aladin:

Never thought of the Bf but was thinking of the patch coming off in the brake before I tryed them but as it turned out the patch comes off in small pieces and you can actually see the pieces being blown through the holes of the brake never leaving any particals.
After every shot I removed the bolt and found maybe 5 flake's of Bf in the bore.
I am very pleased with the result but will keep a eye out for sure.

Regards Martin

Posts: 327 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote