New
Find
Notify
Tools

bullet lube
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone tried toilet wax ring for bullet lube? I'm thinking of mixing some with liquid alox and maybe candle wax to harden. Some rings look like they are mostly bees wax. I want to try to pour hot wax around standing bullets Any help??? TIA,Jeff.
quote:

If guns are only made for killing, all of mine are defective.

Posts: 39 | Location: S.E. MI. | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 54JEFF:
Has anyone tried toilet wax ring for bullet lube? I'm thinking of mixing some with liquid alox and maybe candle wax to harden. Some rings look like they are mostly bees wax. I want to try to pour hot wax around standing bullets Any help??? TIA,Jeff.
quote:

I think maybe the only flaw in your plan is the allox lube will be thinned out quite alot and the mix could be short of real lube ability.

Try those beeswax rings with a good synthetic motor oil for the lube... using enough to make the lube consistency you want.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems when the subject came up last year, someone said that the toilet rings are now mostly a petroleum based product, rather than beeswax. Check the label.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I don't know for sure, but I've heard toilet ring wax is not beeswax, but rather a synthetic wax that looks like beeswax.

I do know from many 100's of not 1000's of bullets downrange that a 50/50 mix of beeswax and high pressure auto greese, ie moly/lythium makes for a fine bullet lube.

I also know from personal experience that parafin, ie candle wax is a poor substitute for beeswax, the resulting lube is "crumbly" and the slighest handling of the lubed bullet causes the lube to flake out of the lube grooves.

If your beeswax moly/lythium lube is too soft, just melt down the wax and add more beeswax to harden it up.

Also remember that when wax is sufficiently heated, it will ignite, so don't get carried away with the heat when melting the mix. Also don't do this inside, as the stench created in the process is nasty. I also know from personal experience that even concocted in a garage connected to the house will generate complaints about the smell from the boss [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back too the drawing board. It appears this isn't gonna work. The three lube grooves are very shallow and did not fill in very well. The lube was also very sticky. I can always go back to the liquid alox. Syn. motor oil is on the shopping list. I think i'm gonna have to lap this mould out a bit to increase diameter. Thanks for all the input fellas, Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
For the best home made lube I've ever tried go to http://www.castpics.net/ and click on "Research&Data", then click "Felix's World Famous Lube" I've been using FWFL for years on everything I cast. To add just right amount of "shine" and good Karma to your barrel, make a double batch and include the entire red carnuba wax seal from a bottle of Maker's Mark. It does make your lube a bit pink, but if anyone can see the color of your lube, you're loading them way to light! BD

Posts: 163 | Location: Greenville, Maine | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
<reloaderman>
posted
Ever try "drop-out" mold release agent from Midway? Just stand up the bullets and spray them with this stuff and you're ready to go! And they're not sticky like other lubes. [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have recently done some research on this subject and also pan lubed some bullets myself the other night. Most of my research came from Black powder cartridge users.

As far as lube goes MY only experience is with a 50/50 mix of beeswax and Crisco. The lube worked well pan lubing.

To make the lube I put a pot on the stove full of water and then put a quart size glass jar. Measured two cups and put a mark and measured another 2cups and put a mark. I then melted enough beeswax to the first mark and then filled the jar with crisco to the second mark. All of this without any foul smells. The double boiler operation prevented overheating the lube.

In a shallow cookie pan I stood all my bullets approximately 1/2" apart or a little more. This is important because you have to push the bullets through the mix without cracking it and if the bullets are too close it will cause cracking. If you crack the wax cookie the lube will not stick in the bullets. After you pour the molten wax into the pan and allow to cool until you see the wax start to shrink and separate from the pan. After the wax has fully separated from the pan it is ready to start pushing bullets through. Carefully push the bullets with a little support from one hand under the wax to support it and prevent cracking the wax. It takes a little practice but should fill the grooves of any bullet even if they are small. The biggest trick I learned was not allowing the wax to cool too much. IF it cools too much then the bullets are hard to press though the wax and cracking will result with the lube not sticking to the bullets. If you do not wait long enough for the wax to cool completely it will stick to the pan in the middle. As long as the wax has shrunk about 1/16th of and inch it is ready to start popping bullets and should stll be warm to the touch but not hot.

Good luck - after a little practice you'll be a pro at it. BTW it takes about a quart jar full of lube to fill the pan enough to lube 250 gr 45 cal bullets.

Posts: 25 | Location: Lowell, IN | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
West Creek Charlie, NOW you tell me. Thats exactly what happened, cracked up, no lube in some grooves, etc. I even put it in the freezer for an hour! I'll try it your way next time. Reloaderman, I've tryed drop-out, got leading. I think something heavier in the grooves is needed. Thats the reason for this experiment. Trying to minimize blow-by. BD, thanks for the link. I'm sure felix lube is good stuff, but the shopping list is way too long. Good reading though. Thanks All, Jeff
quote: