Find
Notify
Tools

Just got Lee 358 cal 6cav mold
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted
Sorry, just had to mess with you guys. I ordered a 358-158RF from Midway with a couple of extra handles. I picked up a new 357 Blackhawk to go 38 special for the Cas shoots this year instead of mixed ammo for the 45 pistols and 357 rifle.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That was kinda mean there. I was hoping that a few heavy 358's would be loaded in ammo headin for NCBS duty. Looks like neither a HBC 30 or a heavy 35 is in the cards this year.
Back to the standards I guess.........45's That ain't a bad thing though. 45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lar45, Have you used that mold yet? What do you think of it?

Posts: 184 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I took it out of the box and scrubed with some hot soapy water and a tooth brush. I used a pencil to color the top of the blocks and the underside of the sprueplate. I smoked with a butane lighter and preheated with a propane torch and was getting lots of good bullets within 3 pours. After that the reject rate was very small. I haven't loaded or shot any yet, but I'm getting ready to do a bunch of 38 specials. I'll do some hot 357 loads as well. The bullets as cast are .361"

I like the 6 cav molds and think that if LEE would make the 1 and 2 cav's with the same allignment pins, that they would work much better. Maybe they could offer that as a new line in addition to the elcheapo's. Maybe even have them take the 6 cav handles?

one of us
posted Hide Post
LAR...good joke...remind us to kill you last...Opps...that slipped out! Was just watching AHHHNNNOLD in Kommando!

Really, though, thanks for the order, I too wonder how Lee can continue to make the crummy 2 cavities when they really make good quality 6 cavities like they do. If lee would make the 2 cavities like the 6 holers they would get a lot more of my business.

regards,
Graycg (just joking about killing you last)

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee has the niche in rhe market with their single cavity molds. I have used them for 20 plus years and I frrl a whole lot better when a $14.00 mold doesn't work than when a $90.00 doesn't shoot well in my gun. When the Lee mold produces MOA groups I really feel good.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does this bullet have a bevel base or a flat base. I can't tell from pictures I have seen. How well did the bullets drop from the mold? I've got a 357 coming this week and am trying to decide on a mold.

Posts: 184 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
It's a bevel base and the bullets mostly dropped from the mold or needed a little tap on the side of my water bucket. It seems to get better as the mold got hotter though. I still haven't loaded any yet. Mine are dropping around .361" ish