New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our 30 TL bullet & a golf ball
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys, check the latest issue of _The Fouling Shot_ (169-24) for an article titled "Drag From Lube Grooves." The gist of the article is this: the extra lube grooves on our 30 TL may act like the dimples on a golf ball and give the bullet increased stability and accuracy.

Posts: 108 | Location: Northcentral Louisiana | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't that be wild if we did stumble into a better thing! Thanks, Dale

Posts: 301 | Location: Xenia,Il. 62899 | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Guys, check the latest issue of _The Fouling Shot_ (169-24) for an article titled "Drag From Lube Grooves." The gist of the article is this: the extra lube grooves on our 30 TL may act like the dimples on a golf ball and give the bullet increased stability and accuracy.

Gents,
Same theory comes into play with sharkskin,,,which is coarse like sandpaper. Very efficient swimmers and one thought is the micro peaks and valleys do something to laminar flow, reducing friction, creating a mini-zone of turbulence that overall allows more efficient transport thru the medium, reducing skin friction coefficient.
Dolphins and many other fish go slimey, and exude oils to deal with that same friction. Innerestin' stuff, and is the realm of experimentation, YMWV! {Red Face)
Cheers,
R*2

Posts: 129 | Location: NorthEast | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not exactly the same but similar, anybody remember the Herters "wasp waist" bullets? I can't remember my newest grand-daughters name, but I remember every Herters "model perfect" this and that. What's wrong with me!!

Posts: 247 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
bilmac
I bought a box of those off of ebay just so I could have them. Never bought any back in the days when Herters existed.

I just came a ccross a Herter's PEPP spinner about an hour ago cleaning tackle to go fishing tomorrow. Like a Mepps but tnot!

Posts: 4220 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I remember 'em. I think they were trying to tie in with the "wasp-waisted" appearance of some of the jet fighters built to the Area Rule.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi All! This wasp waisted bullet was a jacketed bullet? How did they shoot? And what was the BC? ( Ok, just tell me all you know ) I ask for a reason: NEI makes 30 cal. molds for a wasp waisted bullet! Thanks, Dale

Posts: 301 | Location: Xenia,Il. 62899 | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"We" didn't stumble onto it. This has been known for quite a while. Those little tumble lube bullets shoot very well at 1600 fps and less. The 45 PP tumble lube bullet is going to get shot out of a 45 colt rifle at long range too. Col. Harrison of the NRA designed the two Lyman 30 caliber PP bullets (which I wish were still available)as smooth sided like the originals, but didn't get accuracy until he added the grooves down the bearing surface of the bullet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bob! Nice to 'see' you again. I wonder if Lee knew anything about this when he designed the molds ...how many years ago? He may have just wanted an easy way to cut molds out... there is one bullet design for rifles in his catalogue-in the Russian .30-that has tumble lube grooves. I believe designed by CE Harris. If I could get it in 6 cavity, I would play with it too. I wonder how it would work PPing? Question to all reading- have any of you done much shooting with that bullet?...results/opinions?

Ya, I have read about those PP bullets in Col Harrison's articles from long ago. ( that book of articles has been consulted so many times that the outside cover is just barely readable- worn out.) Too bad he is not still around to play with us today! I really liked his style of writing.

I ordered 1 of the 45 molds....and I don't have a 45 rifle! But several friends do....we are anxious to see if we can get it to shoot! Dale

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... there is one bullet design for rifles in his catalogue-in the Russian .30-that has tumble lube grooves. I believe designed by CE Harris. If I could get it in 6 cavity have any of you done much shooting with that bullet?...results/opinions? I ordered 1 of the 45 molds....and I don't have a 45 rifle! But several friends do....we are anxious to see if we can get it to shoot! Dale

Dale-
I have had the conventional lube groove version of that bullet since it came out. Pretty good shooter if it fits the rifle, but one at a time does not help when you want large quantities. If ONLY LEE would offer it in a 6-cavity??? I intend to see what the 45 PP does if it doesn't cast too heavy, hopefully 375 and no more. 400 grains is too heavy in a colt case for range.