New
Find
Notify
Tools

To Mag_01 on Castbullet Forum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I wouldn't waste my time messing with an SKS that has a .3135 groove diameter. Sell it and buy yourself a Yugo SKS, they sure as heck don't have that fat a bore. Mine was unissued and the groove is .310 on the button

I use 4895 powder in my loads. Maven said something about some AA powder and 4198 not being good for the 7.62x39. Well guess one, I have a 6.5 Grendel, which is basically necked down and blowed out 7.62x39 case and I got the darn thing shooting super good groups with cast and 4198 powder.

Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention, I really didn't check out Mag's load, they may be hot with the weight bullet he's using, but don't over looke excessive headspace and not necessarily from the bolt and chamber, but from sizing the shoulder on his brass back too far. He shouldn't get backed out primers with a hot load, they should be really really flat looking. Don't tell me that the action may be opening too soon, because SKS's have pretty darn good timing.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe, I'm afraid you misrepresented what I said about AA 5744 & H/IMR 4198. I never said and don't believe they're "no good for the 7.62 x 39." What I did say was that they're my favorite CB powders, but not in the SKS. Alliant 2400 and WC 820 better suit my purposes in that small cartridge. Btw, I agree that mag01's problem is largely one of too much pressure/velocity combined with poor bullet fit.

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

My apology, I totally read it wrong. Like I said I haven't used the AA powder, but I have the 4198 and I'm thinking...gee why didn't he get good results with those. Well that's cleared up.

What did you think about the headspace problem I mentioned? I've shot some pretty hot loads out of my SKS and never has the primer backed out.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe, The protruding primers could very well be due to a sizing problem, maybe even an out of spec. (too short) FL sizing die.

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

If you reread my post I said that. I think the fellow is sizing the shoulders back too far on his brass.

Joe