New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paper Patching
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here I am with a new 45-70 bbl on my Encore and I run into this site. I am more than fascinated....BUT I am a complete novice at this paper patch thing. Can someone direct me to a site where I can learn how to paper patch cast 451 or 452 bullets and shoot them from my 45-70? Thanks!

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
<quigleysharps4570>
posted
This guy gives a good description on paper patched bullets. http://www.iastate.edu~codi/PPB/PPB.html If this doesn't work, go to www.shilohrifle.com, go to the trophy room, scroll about 3/4 of the way down. His name is Brent Danielson, he's posing with an antelope. His site is listed there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're serious pick up a copy of Paul Matthews book "The Paper Jacket", it's a paperback and inexpensive. He details his experiences over the years and tells how he came up with good to great loads for various caliber rifles with 45-70 being his favorite. This is basically a textbook and will help you avoid many mistakes when starting out. I have been using paper patched bullets in my Marlin Guide Gun for several years now and much prefer them to factory bullets as far as performance on game is concerned. If you enjoy reloading and casting you'll love paper patching, and you can always resize store bought cast bullets for paper jackets if need be.

Posts: 273 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote